Clicking sound from BB area

blind

I have a clicking sound coming from what sounds like my bb. Its the newest part on my bike.

Shimano XTR. 

Only clicks, with every pedal stroke, when I pedal very hard. And only sometimes.

Everything seems to be tightened the way it should.

Its very iritating. What could it be? 

I once had the same issue although it was my rear quick release that was the culprit.

Did you replace it or adjust it?

Sometimes the bearings need lubrication and then they, or 1, makes a clicking sound. I had this problem with my PDM pedals.

I had a similar sound that I was sure it was the bb, so took it out, cleaned it, greased it and put it back. Still had the sound.

Then I was sure it was the headset, so took cleaned it amd greased it.

It became so annoying that I eventually checked every single bolt the bike and mage sure it was tight.

I evetually came across a bolt on whetr the chainstay attaches to one of the pivots by the BB (Merida AM), that was loose so tightened it up and bam, no more noise.

At least the bb and headset got a service too.

Thanks all.

I will start stripping and service those items, and check all the bolts again. 

Best product to use to grease the BB and pedals? 

Did you replace it or adjust it?

I've had quick release clicks too.  Remove, clean thoroughly, lube the surfaces that press against each other.  Also lube the actual leaver.  Try both wheels - sometimes it sounds like the back but it's actually the front.

Also check your water bottle cages - if they're loose they can wobble when you stand.

These clicks can be difficult to track down though.  

• 3 months later...

I just had the same thing happen today. It was driving me completely nuts, and I was sure it was the BB. Then I remembered that I had this same issue previously. The culprit was dirt/grime on the seat post. (I was lazy last time I washed my bike and gave the seat post a skip). 

I took out the seat post, removed the clamp and cleaned them. Problem solved/no silly clicking noises any longer.