Miway insurance claim goes one way

streetfighter

Hi there @streetfighter,

Thanks for taking the time to express your views around the outcome of your recent claim.

First off, we need to assure you that your safety following any repair to your bicycle is of utmost importance to us and that we will never knowingly place you in a position that could result in you incurring future harm.

With this said, we reiterate that the decision to repair your frame took careful consideration and expert advice. The damage to your frame was deemed superficial and it was confirmed that a repair would not influence the quality of the frame in any way. Should our expert have experienced any doubt around the integrity of the frame post-repair, we would rather have opted to replace the frame upfront.

Your frame is currently with a reputable carbon frame repairer and although we understand your passion for the sport and your eagerness to get back in the saddle, we encourage patience as the repair process is delicate and can be time-consuming – especially when ensuring a proper outcome.

While you wait, perhaps take a minute to read this article published by www.bicycling.co.za about repairs on carbon frames.

Please don’t hesitate to give us a call if you have any further questions or concerns – we’d be happy to chat!

Kind regards,

The MiWay Team

Hi there Miway,

After reading this response and having given it carefull consideration, I have subsequently decided to move my insurance to another vendor that provides more than "superficial" cover.

If I should one day be in the unfortunate postion street fighter is in, I want the peace of mind that the insurance that I pay a premium for will cover me and not leave me with a "debatably" funtional bike, that has just lost all resale value.

In fact if this was the only cover that was offered I would insure for theft only and not pay the high premium for "all risk".

Well done on losing another customer.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is how things get changed. Not mas boycotts and marches etc. Just change with who you want to do business. Hopefully in time these types of business practices will cease to exist

Thanks for the information - going to review MiWay insurance that I have, most probably going to stop it. Why pay for something that wont work.

Huh, you do know how this hub thing works, right?

Miway.

At this point and time whether or not you are justified in repairing streetfighters frame is irrelevant. Everything discussed up until this point with regards to streetfighters claim specifically is irrelevant.

Here's whats relevant to you now. There's more at stake here than the money you are trying to save by opting for a repair instead of a replacement with this specific claim. This thread has resulted in you actively losing clients. Lose a few more and the cost of a new frame for one claim won't seem worth trying to avert. Not to mention potentially new clients looking to insure their new bikes who will look elsewhere just because of this thread. Its makes far more business sense to replace his frame and repair the damage done to your brand. It would speak volumes to your existing clients and potentially new ones.

I understand that as an independent broker myself, I might be a bit biased, but what is shocking for me is that a company is willing to address a client on social media and not send him a letter in person or contact him telephonically to try and solve this matter.

What I would have done to do damage control is send a letter to the client or better yet, have a manager phone him and explain the situation and reason why they repair and their policy regarding the warranty/ guarantee.

Then come on the hub and do the same here with some attachments of the policy wording where the Basis of settlement are explained etc, and with their assessors/ expert report and photo's of the damage.

Maybe some before and after pictures, with a letter from the repairer that confirm their guarantee.

I understand that as an independent broker myself, I might be a bit biased, but what is shocking for me is that a company is willing to address a client on social media and not send him a letter in person or contact him telephonically to try and solve this matter.

What I would have done to do damage control is send a letter to the client or better yet, have a manager phone him and explain the situation and reason why they repair and their policy regarding the warranty/ guarantee.

Then come on the hub and do the same here with some attachments of the policy wording where the Basis of settlement are explained etc, and with their assessors/ expert report and photo's of the damage.

Maybe some before and after pictures, with a letter from the repairer that confirm their guarantee.

Yep, this is what we were all hoping for! Now, to see if they can colour in, after you have drawn the whole picture for them!

If another hubber comes on the Hub and moans about claims being repudiated or service levels from a direct.

You wont get sympathy from me, you will get a big fat "WE TOLD YOU SO" ;)

I must say I have had 2 smallish claims on my MTB that is insured with Miway and on both occasions they paid out without any problems.

Absolutely True Skollie. The hub is one powerful site.

In "THE HUB world" yes...outside the web...well...not so powerful.

MiWay is Santam. It is Santams direct insurer.

I say this in every insurance related thread, if you want to deal with direct insurers like Miway, iWyze, Outsurance, Dial Direct, King Price etc, please do not moan when you have claims issues. Direct insurers have a vested interest in repudiating claims.

The people saying that you should go to the ombudsman, I wouldn't waste your time, they have offered to repair it, it is probably what they are legally obliged to do. There is a reason Outsurance brags about their 12 in 10000 claims adverts. They usually win at the ombudsman as direct insurer policy wording is water right.

Call an accredited broker. Get a broker to get you the cover you want from the appropriate product. It is also in the brokers interest to get your claim settled as he wants to keep you as a client and will make sure re claim is submitted correctly and will usually fight for you along the claims process.

sorry mate, I do not work for outsurance but boy have I had the best experience with them. 4 claims 1 year. no issues!

So MiWay is more like having it ThereWay... LOL, they should have

just refrained from commenting here if the not willing to take it all the way - just caused more damage to them.

They failed the MOT test - Moment of Truth.

sorry mate, I do not work for outsurance but boy have I had the best experience with them. 4 claims 1 year. no issues!

Dont be sorry, thats great to hear.

Of course the bad cases are the exception and not the norm even with direct guys... just less "exceptions" when you use a good broker :)

Please do not see my posts as attacks on directs (sooooo not what I mean), but rather that I firmly support and see the value of GOOD independant brokers.

Whether they replace the frame or not is now a case of too little too late. People are jumping a sinking ship. We pay lots of money for insurance and expect to be dealt in a VIP sense. Why should the insurance company dictate what is to be done. As a client you should get what you want.

I know with the CPA you are allowed to refuse a repair on an item. Would that rule apply here as well?

So I've been deciding on insurance for my road bike for a few weeks now and was considering CycleSure. After reading this thread I gave them a call to ask them about their policy on repairs vs replacement.

Their policy to to replace any carbon components, they do not repair.

Nice to know. Guess i will be a CycleSure client soon.

I must say I have had 2 smallish claims on my MTB that is insured with Miway and on both occasions they paid out without any problems.

better move your insurance then before you have a big claim.

Archived