Please help appraise my ride

Julian Howard-Tripp

Hi, I am looking at upgrading to a full sus soon and and don't know if I should consider selling my hardtail or not. Please have a look at the pic and specs of my bike and let me know what sort of price I can realistically expect to get from it.

2014 Momsen 929 hard tail medium frame :post-71081-0-45538800-1447221373_thumb.jpg

KEY SPECS

• Model Year 2014
  • Frame size Medium
  • Wheel Size 29"
COMPONENTS

• Frame Momsen 929 Carbon
  • Fork FOX 32 Float Perfromance CTD Air
  • Wheels ZTR Crest rear, ZTR Rapid front
  • Rear derailleur Shimano XT
  • Shifters Shimano XT
  • Brakes Shimano XT 160mm Front and 160mm Rear  Icetech Rotors
  • Crankset Shimano SLX 38-24
  • Cassette Shimano HG50 10 speed
  • Seatpost Thomson Elite Alu
  • Saddle Fizik Thar
  • Stem Momsen downer carbon
  • Handlebars Momsen design carbon
  • Hubs Stans 3.30 12mm thru axle back, 15mm thru axle front

The bike is in fairly good nic, I have ridden it for about 9 months (4000km)

Any estimates / evaluations would be greatly appreciated.

I am toying with the idea of having 2 bikes (hard tail & full sus) but have a feeling that one will end up sitting in the store room being neglected.

My "normal" method is take what you paid for it and halve it at least for a reasonably quick sale.

But at the end of the day, the market will decide i.e. if you mark it at retail less 10% it will not move...

I kept an old hardtail for beach rides, training rides etc.

Since yours is quite a racy bike you could keep it for xc and buy a much more trail oriented full susser for fun. But if your intention is to replace the HT with a full sus xc bike then sell it.

Depending on your financial circumstances; I would recommend keeping the bike. Way better having 2 bikes than 1. I bought the same bike for my father in law 3 months ago and paid R16,000.

Thanks for the input

I am planning to get a Gaint Trance Advance 1, so yea trail bike. Most of the races / events I do are quite rough so would probably end up riding the trail bike like nine times out of ten. Even on our local regular rides we actively seek out the fun stuff

Selling the hard tail would help with financing the full sus but I don't want to sell it for peanuts either. Plus It's kind of my baby and would hurt to see it go.

Doing a rough what I paid less 50% calc comes in around R20k

(bought the frame and slowly upgrade components as they were on special)

I don't think you'll be able to sell a carbon hardtail with said specs for R20k

Expect closer to R16k I'd say.

Also depends on the condition of the drivetrain, because with 4000km on the clock your casette and chainrings may to close to end of life.

Sorry to burst your bubble but you cannot and probably will not get R20k for a 2nd hand HT...even with all the upgrades, This is why I always say to clients NOT to upgrade their bikes - as this will now happen - you pay lets say R15k for the bike outright, then spend another R15k upgrading. In your mind the bike is now worth R30k but in reality its still only worth R15-20k if that.

"upgrades" in my book are like flushing money down the toilet as the bike does not and will not gain value with each upgrade...Perhaps if you have all the original parts, put them back on and sell the bike like that and keep the "upgrades" and put them on your new bike...

R16k.... that makes me very sad  :(

My next purchase was going to be XT cassette, chain and crank

XT chain and Cassettes are not worth buying...they do the same job as the SLX stuff but cost a lot more for a couple of grams less - IMHO you will not experience better shifting or longevity from the XT over SLX...

The Crank may be a worthwhile buy if you have a "el cheapo" crank on and you are going to save 200 grams ++....again the shifting and longevity probably won't be that noticeable.

XT chain and Cassettes are not worth buying...they do the same job as the SLX stuff but cost a lot more for a couple of grams less - IMHO you will not experience better shifting or longevity from the XT over SLX...

The Crank may be a worthwhile buy if you have a "el cheapo" crank on and you are going to save 200 grams ++....again the shifting and longevity probably won't be that noticeable.

I only buy components on special, so if I can pick them up 50% off then XT it is. Paid half price for my XT shifters, rear derailer, XT brakes + rotors, seat, XTR pedals. Hell almost everything was bought at either a 40-50% discount.

I was going to say the R16K mark as well. The reality of selling your ride is never that great. Unfortunately upgrades don't really up the price anywhere near as much as you shelled out. Well updated wheels will give you more of selling angle but unless you've jumped from SLX to XTR it's much of a much on the buying world.