New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

Saag, were you originally on a Skilled Migrant visa or a Work to Residence visa?

Work to Residence Visa - Talent is what it said on my VISA if that helps.

I did the EOI in SA and had to get a job offer to get us over 160 points.

My residency was provisionally approved 3 weeks after me arriving in NZ. I had to provide 3 payslips, which I did and we got our new Visa's in passports.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Work to Residence Visa - Talent is what it said on my VISA if that helps.

I did the EOI in SA and had to get a job offer to get us over 160 points.

My residency was provisionally approved 3 weeks after me arriving in NZ. I had to provide 3 payslips, which I did and we got our new Visa's in passports.

aaah so a little different from mine.

Also on Work to Resident, but with an accredited employer. Didn't need to do an EOI or any points based application.

I can only apply for Residence after 2yrs (which will be next year March), but the nice thing about that route is one can fast track to Permanent Residence (skip the 2yr Residence visa), provided they have the specified minimum income ($90 000pa).

I stand to be corrected, but I think hayleyearth is also on a Work to Residence Accredited Employer?!

Edited by patches

aaah so a little different from mine.

Also on Work to Resident, but with an accredited employer. Didn't need to do an EOI or any points based application.

I can only apply for Residence after 2yrs (which will be next year March), but the nice thing about that route is one can fast track to Permanent Residence (skip the 2yr Residence visa), provided they have the specified minimum income ($90 000pa).

I stand to be corrected, but I think hayleyearth is also on a Work to Residence Accredited Employer?!

Yip I am on the same "Work to Residence Accredited Employer"

I will be applying for Permanent Residency in June 2018.

One of my colleagues (also on Residence from Work Accredited Employer) looked at switching so he could fast track residence.

This was the info he was given by an agent.

post-10758-0-44896500-1503605676_thumb.png

That process sounds similar to what you did Saag.

At this stage in the game I'll just wait out another 7 months or so and follow the process below (outlined by our immigration advisers at KPMG)

post-10758-0-77383300-1503605954_thumb.png

(those figures exclude KPMG's hefty fees though, hahaha!)

Accredited Employers visa and Talent visa is pretty much the same thing. I was also on this visa and like Saag decided to do my Residency earlier. It cost more but now its done. I prefer it that way.

Speaking of all the red tape...

I went to the Immigration New Zealand office on Queen Street the other day to file my Variation of Conditions (new job title, new work location).

It was a little chaotic and reminded me of a mini version of Randburg Licensing or Home Affairs :ph34r:  :lol:

Accredited Employers visa and Talent visa is pretty much the same thing. I was also on this visa and like Saag decided to do my Residency earlier. It cost more but now its done. I prefer it that way.

Yeah, I guess for those that want to study, or have children in schools etc Residency saves a lot of money in the long run.

And in the end most of us (except those lucky buggers with British/European Passports) have the end goal of citizenship (which is 5 yrs minimum, unless there's a multi-million cash investment loophole).

Yeah, I guess for those that want to study, or have children in schools etc Residency saves a lot of money in the long run.

And in the end most of us (except those lucky buggers with British/European Passports) have the end goal of citizenship (which is 5 yrs minimum, unless there's a multi-million cash investment loophole).

Exactly, mine is the same Accredited employer one where I can do it after 2 years, don't know why the naming is misleading, BUT as said above, I feel more at ease knowing it is done. Also, does help with the kids etc.

Guys if I can poke my 2c in here. Get your PR or residence class visa as soon as you can; it is worth taking professional advice from a good immigration agent (I cannot recommend Paul Janssen from Immagine highly enough).

We got ours within 2 or 3 months of arriving thanks to his work. It immediately puts your mind to rest with 'no more admin' until you do your citizenship application. And the clock starts ticking on the 5 years to citizenship once you have that Res class visa.

As you all know, the rules can change subject to whim; with the election coming up, and immigration a hot button issue, you do not want to be caught on the wrong side of any potential clampdown...

Guys if I can poke my 2c in here. Get your PR or residence class visa as soon as you can; it is worth taking professional advice from a good immigration agent (I cannot recommend Paul Janssen from Immagine highly enough).

We got ours within 2 or 3 months of arriving thanks to his work. It immediately puts your mind to rest with 'no more admin' until you do your citizenship application. And the clock starts ticking on the 5 years to citizenship once you have that Res class visa.

As you all know, the rules can change subject to whim; with the election coming up, and immigration a hot button issue, you do not want to be caught on the wrong side of any potential clampdown...

Speaking of no more admin, do you know if RSA passports are in any way required for the citizenship paperwork? My daughter's passport is expiring, and I'm loathing having to get a new one and wait 6-12 months (apparently) for the new one, when we'll be able to get citizenship in 16 months time anyway. Obviously we can't go on any overseas holidays until then without her passport, but being forced to family holiday locally is not a big deal.

Speaking of no more admin, do you know if RSA passports are in any way required for the citizenship paperwork? My daughter's passport is expiring, and I'm loathing having to get a new one and wait 6-12 months (apparently) for the new one, when we'll be able to get citizenship in 16 months time anyway. Obviously we can't go on any overseas holidays until then without her passport, but being forced to family holiday locally is not a big deal.

So some googling tells me that an expired passport is fine for the citizenship application.

The citizenship application is actually pretty easy and quick; they mainly just check to see that you've been reasonably well behaved since being here, as they had already vetted you to get in. Glad to see you found the answer to your question, I'd need to go find the wife and ask her as she is in charge of those matters!

Given that I am in a different country, I agree with you. You're most likely all aware of the changes Peter Dutton has made across the puddle from you.

My employer has engaged the services of an agent to fast track my work visa to PR here. They're not prepared to have me negatively impacted after taking the time and spending the money to get me here.

My paperwork should be lodged before the end of this month. I'm waiting for new SAPS clearance certificate (DocAssist doing the running around after fleecing me a few R'000) which will then be added to the submitted application.

Speaking of all the red tape...

I went to the Immigration New Zealand office on Queen Street the other day to file my Variation of Conditions (new job title, new work location).

It was a little chaotic and reminded me of a mini version of Randburg Licensing or Home Affairs :ph34r:   :lol:

I'm guessing you haven't been to a licensing or home affairs in SA recently? Things have changed somewhat in the last 12 months, and not for the better... 

Given that I am in a different country, I agree with you. You're most likely all aware of the changes Peter Dutton has made across the puddle from you.

My employer has engaged the services of an agent to fast track my work visa to PR here. They're not prepared to have me negatively impacted after taking the time and spending the money to get me here.

My paperwork should be lodged before the end of this month. I'm waiting for new SAPS clearance certificate (DocAssist doing the running around after fleecing me a few R'000) which will then be added to the submitted application.

That's brilliant news Ross! I was wondering about your situation with the changes - I've had 2 sets of mates returning since the changes were made (both in air traffic control). Contracts couldn't be renewed.

Edited by GrahamS2

That's brilliant new Ross! I was wondering about your situation with the changes - I've had 2 sets of mates returning since the changes were made (both in air traffic control). Contracts couldn't be renewed.

Thanks.

That's a terrible situation to have gone through for them. I hope they can setup some sort of normal life again. To have invested so much in a life here and then be sent packing must be a terribly bitter pill to have to swallow.

Now you got to get this side G!