New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

By and large the NZ response to covid has been brilliant.

This however, is a major flaw. 

Our plan relies on people following the rules and regulations. Given that a small % of any population will always deviate from the rules, and with no enforceable repercussions, the system is at risk of collapse.

Just hope none of them are from SA...................

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The bad and the ugly!

So for those living in NZ you're probably well aware of the current situation around the Auckland lockdown.

For those that may not know, Auckland went into an sudden Level 3 lockdown, announced last Saturday night (9pm-ish) and effective from 6am the next day.

The cause was a new community case whereby a young man (21) who was supposed to be isolating, went all over the show, with symptoms and while waiting for his Covid test results  :cursing: 

His mother (same household) also tested positive, but with no clear epidemical link and based on his travels the government decided to lock down the city for 7 days.

Turns out it was his mother that contracted the virus first after going for a walk with a member of another household during the previous 3 day lockdown (when they were not supposed to) BUT she intentionally didn't disclose this to the authorities, out of fear of the repercussions for breaking lockdown those 2 weeks back. The information was brought to light by the other household

However, had she disclosed this initially, they would have seen that she contracted it first (not her son), that there was a strong epidemical link, and the city may not have been sent into lockdown.

The 7 day lockdown is estimated to incur around $500m in losses. Not only is that a figure, but that is small businesses going under. Families unable to pay rent, buy food, etc. (despite the governments best attempts at a wage subsidy).

Yet the government still steers away from introducing any form of punishment or fine for lockdown breaches or false information given in these cases. they are worried it will scare people away from telling the truth or coming forward to be tested.

However, if I fail to declare an apple on a flight coming in from Australia (or anywhere else internationally), I get a $400 fine from biosecurity. No matter whether I intentionally didn't declare it (to try sneak it in) or I had forgotten/was unaware of it. So to stay on the safe most people declare ANY food products they may have and let biosecurity determine the risk. The worst consequence then is having that food confiscated, should it pose a risk.

I think a similar approach can be taken with covid contact tracing. Cases should willingly share information, and can be encouraged to do so, under the offer of some sort of amnesty for most actions that may have caused the contamination (like 2 aunties going for a walk while they should be isolating and social distancing).

BUT if a case purposely withholds or misleads authorities, they should face some sort of punishment/fine. Ultimately the authorities find out (just like the beagles at biosecurity), so pulling a sneaky should land one in hot water as the wider implications can be dire.

Anyway, that's just my 2c as an Aucklander who it furious and frustrated that 2 tannies taking a walk together (when they knew it was prohibited), and one youngster going to gym right after his Covid test, has ultimately cost livelihoods (and possibly lives).

as a sailor I'm currently very focussed on a little stretch of water in the south pacific. The level of covid competency is astounding.

BUT this now affects me directly. So excited to see the final series kicking off, and it seems there will be serious issues with scheduling now which could well affect the quality of racing and even the outcome.

How do you saffa expats in NZ find the Cup and coverage? The sailing media are suggesting that ETNZ are bigger than the All Blacks, I find that one hard to consider. If anything, this should be massive for NZ inc. and this articulates much better than i could put it https://rule69blog.wordpress.com/2021/02/27/great-expectations/

By and large the NZ response to covid has been brilliant.

This however, is a major flaw. 

Our plan relies on people following the rules and regulations. Given that a small % of any population will always deviate from the rules, and with no enforceable repercussions, the system is at risk of collapse.

for those not from NZ, the communication from gov is top notch.

https://covid19.govt.nz/updates-and-resources/latest-updates/2-already-reported-covid-19-community-cases-2-cases-in-managed-isolation/

I'm a little bit suprised that the gov has not gone all in on vaccines, as that is the only medium term solution for an isolated island.

I am led to believe that the 21yr old who has potentially spread it to far and wide is of island origin - which fuels tensions really not needed right now.

https://covid19.govt.nz/updates-and-resources/latest-updates/2-already-reported-covid-19-community-cases-2-cases-in-managed-isolation/

I'm a little bit suprised that the gov has not gone all in on vaccines, as that is the only medium term solution for an isolated island.

I am led to believe that the 21yr old who has potentially spread it to far and wide is of island origin - which fuels tensions really not needed right now.

I'll speak for myself - there is frustration, but not tension, or racial tension in the South African sense.

The goss that I get is that there are a lot (a number?) of effectively illegal alien islanders living in the population in South Auckland, who will likely in a lot of cases to be family of citizens who they will be living with, and they are not about to invite scrutiny into who they are or what they are getting up to.

We have a friend who works in one of the hospitals there, and says it is a different, and not good, world.

The vaccinations will come, they are working in their normal unhurried (considered?) Kiwi way. My understanding is that front line workers have been vaccinated, they are now focusing of hospital staff and are lining up the GP's/staff.

As for the sailing - I doubt it is as pervasive as the All Blacks. Maybe things will pick up when the AC proper starts, but then I'd imagine only if there is close racing.

I was watching the final Prada Cup race from a lookout spot (like sport, much better to watch on TV :ph34r: ) and lo and behold, across the gulf came a yacht flying in a cloud of spray. It just happened to be ETNZ, who just happened to be out for a casual day's sailing, and they were MOVING!!! They matched a tack of Prada's and I suspect they were trying to get a handle on relative speeds of the boats. I'll try and load that off my phone.

I reckon they were doing close to 100kmh - they came flying across the gulf like it was a puddle.

What they don't have is match racing experience in that boat...

Edit: had to load it to youtube due to size...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_klojMZcq4

Check the racing going on in the background..!!

Edited by davetapson

The bad and the ugly!

So for those living in NZ you're probably well aware of the current situation around the Auckland lockdown.

For those that may not know, Auckland went into an sudden Level 3 lockdown, announced last Saturday night (9pm-ish) and effective from 6am the next day.

My nephew lives in Melbourne. He went camping a few days ago and they had a snap 5 day lock down. He had to stay at on at the camp site for the rest of the period and "work" on his laptop.

Back in Cape Town, our second wave is falling fast. We are down to "just" 200 new infections per day and below 20 fatalities per day (Western Cape numbers). Lock down down to level 1.

They estimate up to 50% of our population has been exposed to the bug. So while a "3rd" wave is a distinct possibility, it is going to take another new variant, or a complete change in social behaviour to spread the bug through the other 50% to make it happen with the intensity of the 2nd wave - even without vaccines.

Which is just as well as not much is happening on the vaccine front here. Selected health workers only getting it at the moment. Then we still have to see which vaccines are actually effective against the SA variant, and how long that protection lasts.

So while it is still dangerous out there - (I stay away from crowds and wear a mask when I can't avoid them) we don't have to worry about regulatory lockdowns for a while.

One thing we have in common with NZ. International travel from SA is very easy to plan - postpone indefinitely!

as a sailor I'm currently very focussed on a little stretch of water in the south pacific. The level of covid competency is astounding.

BUT this now affects me directly. So excited to see the final series kicking off, and it seems there will be serious issues with scheduling now which could well affect the quality of racing and even the outcome.

How do you saffa expats in NZ find the Cup and coverage? The sailing media are suggesting that ETNZ are bigger than the All Blacks, I find that one hard to consider. If anything, this should be massive for NZ inc. and this articulates much better than i could put it https://rule69blog.wordpress.com/2021/02/27/great-expectations/

I find the sailing coverage great! That comes from my Vaalie point of view where I know little-to-nothing about sailing, but the atmosphere and hype around the America's Cup here in Auckland is great and makes for an awesome spectators sport.

Course A is just offshore from my local beach (about a 1.7km walk from home). Whilst I have not been down there while a race is on, my partner has and she said there was a great vibe.

I am not really a person who watches sports on TV, but I have found the TV coverage of the race to be very entertaining and have watched a number of races. The graphics make it very interesting and understandable for the lay person.

As for whether or not ETNZ are bigger than the All Blacks...

Well, whilst the All Blacks have been at the top of their field for many years *(and I think even won a Guinness Record for the "winningest national team in any sport, I maybe be wrong though), I think because the America's Cup only comes around every 3-4 years, it's seen as extra special, whereas the AB's are playing rugby every season.

I think back to the 2019 RWC and I definitely think there is more media hype around ETNZ than there was about the AB's back then. (Although that is possible because Auckland is hosting the racing this time)

Additionally I have hear that when NZ won in 1995 the country went crazy. Granted NZ's rugby campaign that year was not as successful. But I believe much of Auckland's Viaduct harbour redevelopment was spurred by that 1995 AC win in preparations for hosting the following event.

Here's a pic I took of the parade down Queen Street (main street in Auckland) after ETNZ won the 2017 America's Cup. I worked in a high-rise on the corner of Queen & Custom so had a good view. People were lining the street from over 3hrs before. Not bad for a work day.

post-10758-0-67353800-1614715139_thumb.jpg

That said, I'd guess that the demographic of America's Cup support would be largely concentrated to Auckland and those from a wealthier socio-economic background. After all, it is yachting. Whilst much of NZ is coastal and the country does thrive on water sports, rugby is universal here. I've driven through small rural West Coast communities on a rainy Saturday morning, and seen 7 & 8yr old kids playing matches barefoot in the mud, with the simple grass field/paddock lined with supportive parents in their Swandris.

Richie McCaw grew up in the tiny rural town of Kurow, with farming parents. Dean Barker grew up in the affluent seaside suburb of Takapuna (Auckland), with his dad owning one of NZ's top men's clothing chains. Which one is more relatable to the average kiwi?!

Still though, Americas Cup is HUGE here right now, and I can't wait for the racing to start!

I think that's just it. People assume based on the demographic of the area and the school involved that Case M (21yr old student) & N (his mother) are Maori or Pasifika.

However I was chatting with a friend last night that works in a government role that involves diversity and inclusion. She asked what instantly came to mind when I thought about those 2 cases and I admittedly did think Maori or Pasifika. Apparently they are white/European.

I am not sure what her source is and I cannot find much evidence of the, besides the Ministry of Health's table showing that there is only 1 active Maori case and 3 Active Pasifika cases. So based on the numbers from the other recent and active Papatoetoe cases, it seems not all are Moari/Pasifika.

post-10758-0-47516300-1614717696_thumb.png

The racial stereotyping is an real issue. Covid is seen as an ethnic South Auckland problem.

On Sunday (1st day of this current lockdown), my partner went for a walk, with a stop at the local supermarket on the way back.

We live in North Shore suburb comprising mostly of wealthy-white 50-80yr olds, and our local shops (New World) reflect that in a massive way. She said hardly anyone was using the Covid tracer app to scan in, almost no-one was wearing a mask. She was pretty disappointed.

When she got back she asked me to go pick up some of the bulkier heavy items she was unable to carry on her walk. I went to a different supermarket Pak n Save), in a more diverse area. Older white people are generally a minority in this store. I would say Asian, Maori, Pasifika and Indian patrons make up 75% of the patronage. What was interesting about this diversity is that 85-90% of the people in the supermarket were wearing masks.

2 shopping trips. 30min apart. 3km apart. 2 very different responses.

Edited by patches

I think that's just it. People assume based on the demographic of the area and the school involved that Case M (21yr old student) & N (his mother) are Maori or Pasifika.

However I was chatting with a friend last night that works in a government role that involves diversity and inclusion. She asked what instantly came to mind when I thought about those 2 cases and I admittedly did think Maori or Pasifika. Apparently they are white/European.

I am not sure what her source is and I cannot find much evidence of the, besides the Ministry of Health's table showing that there is only 1 active Maori case and 3 Active Pasifika cases. So based on the numbers from the other recent and active Papatoetoe cases, it seems not all are Moari/Pasifika.

attachicon.gifMoH Cases.png

The racial stereotyping is an real issue. Covid is seen as an ethnic South Auckland problem.

On Sunday (1st day of this current lockdown), my partner went for a walk, with a stop at the local supermarket on the way back.

We live in North Shore suburb comprising mostly of wealthy-white 50-80yr olds, and our local shops (New World) reflect that in a massive way. She said hardly anyone was using the Covid tracer app to scan in, almost no-one was wearing a mask. She was pretty disappointed.

When she got back she asked me to go pick up some of the bulkier heavy items she was unable to carry on her walk. I went to a different supermarket Pak n Save), in a more diverse area. Older white people are generally a minority in this store. I would say Asian, Maori, Pasifika and Indian patrons make up 75% of the patronage. What was interesting about this diversity is that 85-90% of the people in the supermarket were wearing masks.

2 shopping trips. 30min apart. 3km apart. 2 very different responses.

I must admit that my initial reaction was that Case M was of Maori/Pacific origins. To be clear, I did not see that as a good/bad thing, I couldn't care about the ethnicity, but it is interesting that my mental picture of this person was a Maori/Islander vibe.

I appreciate the fact that your post has helped me challenge that initial reaction. Bias is a strange thing.

Speaking of Islanders - the size and strength of these guys isn't comprehensible til you see it...

When our stuff was unpacked from the container it was done by a couple island boys.  My wife reckons the one guy picks up the fridge (by himself) carries it into the house like it's nothing, asks her "where do you want this mum?", drops it where she asks.

Piano that took six to pack, took two to unpack...

No wonder James Small never recovered from taking on Jonah Lomu...

Edited by davetapson

Change of subject.

I have been toying with getting into some smaller triathlons recently and started looking at some road bikes on facebook.

Man, the difference in price between mid range road bikes and mid range MTB's is insane! The second hand road bikes are pretty cheap!

Change of subject.

I have been toying with getting into some smaller triathlons recently and started looking at some road bikes on facebook.

Man, the difference in price between mid range road bikes and mid range MTB's is insane! The second hand road bikes are pretty cheap!

How dare you bring cycling content to this thread on a cycling focused forum, haha  :P

But yeah a friend of mine was buying as selling used roadies and turning a nice little profit. Some really do sell for dirt cheap. I think he picked up a full carbon Trigon with Ultegra for around $900.

Also reminds me, I have a squatter taking up valuable real-estate in your garage. When lockdown is over I must arrange to get it out of your way  :ph34r: :lol: :blush:

Also reminds me, I have a squatter taking up valuable real-estate in your garage. When lockdown is over I must arrange to get it out of your way  :ph34r:  :lol: :blush:

Yeah, Lockdown has not been kind to my weekly trip to the office.

Im happy to drop it off at your home if you like? I can sort of maintain a 2 metre distance and imagine you have ebola?

Speaking of Islanders - the size and strength of these guys isn't comprehensible til you see it...

When our stuff was unpacked from the container it was done by a couple island boys.  My wife reckons the one guy picks up the fridge (by himself) carries it into the house like it's nothing, asks her "where do you want this mum?", drops it where she asks.

Piano that took six to pack, took two to unpack...

No wonder James Small never recovered from taking on Jonah Lomu...

The Islanders seem to dominate the removals industry here in Aus as well. And I agree on the ratio, its about a team of 6 on the SA side, and 2 here. 

...............No wonder James Small never recovered from taking on Jonah Lomu...

..........and there I always thought Lomu never fully recovered from getting tackled so often and never getting past a guy so Small.  :whistling:  ;)

..........and there I always thought Lomu never fully recovered from getting tackled so often and never getting past a guy so Small.  :whistling:  ;)

That's more like the real story.