New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

I was just looking on Fullers and it seems they only do 1 trip to Home Bay Wharf each month. 

10 Dec 2017

21 Jan 2018

18 Feb 2018

So options seem to be

• Rangitoto Ferry and Hike
  • Get own Boat/Kayak
  • Water Taxi
  • or pack enough food to live there for a month :lol:

How ironic.

The day we went to Rangitoto was 26 November and they announced for all passengers to stay on the ferry if going to Motutapu. I mistakenly assumed it was part of the route as a standard.

But yes, as per Hayley, there is a bridge thing that connects and its a pretty easy walk. 

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding food for hiking etc., we took just these to Great Barrier this weekend and I was pleasantly surprised, especially with the porridge and muesli breakfast options, because I am a difficult breakfast person and I finished mine. (Cheapest I have found was at Torpedo7).

http://backcountrycuisine.co.nz/bcc/index.php/archives/category/breakfast

Easy and cheap - just add one cup boiling water to most of the options and wait 10min.

Never mind that...how was Great Barrier and where are the pics!!!??

Three Exclamations and two question marks. This man means business.

We have plenty of photo's, I just haven't had time to go through them and I think the only time I will have will only be after I am in SA on Sunday :D

Does anyone have Rands in a bank account back home that they want NZ Dollars for here?

I want to send some money back home, so thought about asking someone here and then we both save on fees...

Here's one of the uglies....

Asparagus Rolls!

Large_974.jpg

Basically it's a couple of asparagus stalks wrapped in a de-crusted slice of bread.

When I first saw these at our weekly morning tea, I asked a colleague what the heck they were. He said "asparagus rolls mate. It's a kiwi classic".

But yeah, our Wednesday morning the spread involves all sorts of delicious treats... and then asparagus rolls. Usually 90% of the food is gone within 30min. Now 90% of the asparagus rolls sit there for the remainder of the day, hahaha!

Does anyone have Rands in a bank account back home that they want NZ Dollars for here?

I want to send some money back home, so thought about asking someone here and then we both save on fees...

hi Hayley

PLease speak to me. I am still paying off my car in NZ so would be happy to work something out.

I have it the other way round.  Cash in ASB and a card with no way to access it?

Any ideas as to how I could get the cash into my pocket?

Edited by Sepia

I have it the other way round.  Cash in ASB and a card with no way to access it?

Again as per my comment on HAyleys message. I need to get funds into my NZ account while i am in SA

You do have internet banking right?

I haven't used it personally, but I have heard from a few expat colleagues (UK and SA) that Transfer Wise is pretty good. (fees involved though).

Another colleague of mine has used the buying and selling of Bitcoin to move money back to SA. He conducted the process over 3 days (back when Bitcoins were approx USD 4000 each). Those few days of gain covered the fees (so he broke even, ie. transferred money for free). Although now I bet he wishes he held out a couple of months, haha  :ph34r: 

Best option though (short of taking risk on crypto currency), would be the friend-on-the-other-end option, as per hayleyearths original request.

Here's one of the uglies....

Asparagus Rolls!

Large_974.jpg

Basically it's a couple of asparagus stalks wrapped in a de-crusted slice of bread.

When I first saw these at our weekly morning tea, I asked a colleague what the heck they were. He said "asparagus rolls mate. It's a kiwi classic".

But yeah, our Wednesday morning the spread involves all sorts of delicious treats... and then asparagus rolls. Usually 90% of the food is gone within 30min. Now 90% of the asparagus rolls sit there for the remainder of the day, hahaha!

Horrendous!