New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

So it seems I'm about to make my first career move in New Zealand.

After nearly 13 yrs with the same company (11 yrs back in SA and nearly 2 yrs here), it is time to move onto a new challenge...

working for the government  :ph34r: :lol:

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So it seems I'm about to make my first career move in New Zealand.

After nearly 13 yrs with the same company (11 yrs back in SA and nearly 2 yrs here), it is time to move onto a new challenge...

working for the government  :ph34r: :lol:

I have been looking into getting a job from them too, I have heard about all the 'perks' there is working for them. It has been put on hold for this year though (due to obvious reasons), but I might look into it early next year again (if something better don't pop up before then).

Good move I'd say :thumbup:

The average life expectancy in NZ is around 81 years.

The first 18 are spent in the education system - 22% of your life

The last 16 are spent in retirement - 20% of your life

a whopping 58% of your life is spent working. so Patches and Hayley, it makes sense to find something and somewhere you ENJOY working.

Motivational poster for the day. Now please excuse me, I have to go fold laundry.

I have been looking into getting a job from them too, I have heard about all the 'perks' there is working for them. It has been put on hold for this year though (due to obvious reasons), but I might look into it early next year again (if something better don't pop up before then).

Good move I'd say :thumbup:

Thanks!

I'll be working for the ADHB (Auckland District Health Board).

There are some pretty exciting new projects on the cards for the Auckland Hospital.

And as you say the job perks of working for the government are pretty decent.

• 25 days annual leave
  • 3 "My days" (extra leave for reaching KPI's)
  • Redundancy package (Not law in NZ like it is in Aus, so not all companies do it).
  • Long service leave (1 week after 5yrs of service. Again, not law in NZ, so a bonus).

And the biggest perk of all... working client side, after years of consulting!

Now I get to be the pigeon, as opposed to being the statue, hahaha!

Edited by patches

No. But if you take me with I will do ALL of the cooking.

We are thinking of going for 3 nights or so somewhere from end-Fed till end-March.

We are also keen to do Mt Taranaki with you guys, T said it is tough though! As in 2 hours of the hardest part of Tangariro Crossing (which only lasted about 30min)......I think I will still be able to do it in Feb, but maybe not after than :wacko:

I work in the AEC (Architecture, Engineering, Constriuction) industry. Quite a few employment opportunities in this line of work. Especially if one is BIM savvy.

I have a number of contacts with the leading architectural firms (Jasmax, Woods Baggot, Warren & Mahoney), if you need any steering in that direction.

#RockingRevit #JustSaying #BIM_Rocks #2D_CAD_Is_Dead

So I seem to have found myself in a pretty unique case, and perhaps someone here has experienced the same, and can share some insight/ advise.

It goes as follows:

• I'm currently on a Work to Residence visa with original employer
  • I will be starting a new job 5th March so need to file a Variation of Conditions (VoC).
  • Due to backlog I need to file that sooner rather than later. In fact I already have.
  • BUT I have a trip to SA next Saturday 27th Jan - 19 Feb. (So I will return to my current employment)

My concern is that if for some reason there is an issue with the VoC, I may not have a valid Work Visa by the time I return, which will leave me stranded.

I have asked Immigration themselves, but they are very vague about it all.

Has anyone had a similar situation?

So I seem to have found myself in a pretty unique case, and perhaps someone here has experienced the same, and can share some insight/ advise.

It goes as follows:

• I'm currently on a Work to Residence visa with original employer
  • I will be starting a new job 5th March so need to file a Variation of Conditions (VoC).
  • Due to backlog I need to file that sooner rather than later. In fact I already have.
  • BUT I have a trip to SA next Saturday 27th Jan - 19 Feb. (So I will return to my current employment)

My concern is that if for some reason there is an issue with the VoC, I may not have a valid Work Visa by the time I return, which will leave me stranded.

I have asked Immigration themselves, but they are very vague about it all.

Has anyone had a similar situation?

Why are you doing a VoC? You can apply for residency already

Well played Madam PM! Well Played!  :ph34r: :lol: :thumbup:

attachicon.gif26940853_10155301450730658_1021793146_n.jpg

She however is only taking 6 weeks (her husband will take the rest), and because her baby is due in June she does not get the extended leave granted .....

I however is hoping that mine does not come earlier than the expected date, because then I can use annual leave till the 1st of July and the PPL after that and make use of the 'new' 20week.