New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

This is one of the huge benefits of my job.

Contract says 40 hours a week needed. Boss doesnt care how.

Great when you have a holiday planned, you pull 4 ten hour days of meaningful work and get a friday off (the proviso being you are still contactable in case)

If I play my cards right, and I do the 4 days from home, its very easy to do the 10 hour days as I dont lose 2 hours in AKL traffic.

I am grateful for that concession in my contract.

That could be 2 hours of exercise... 

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yip, wanted to edit my post to add that too....heard also it is a great place to work! many benefits!

That's where all your ratepayer money goes; easy to dish out benefits when you're not a business that relies on competitive products and services! AKL Council is a notorious spendthrift - they have something like 200 PR and marketing people! TF has that got to do with collecting rubbish and looking after roads...

That's where all your ratepayer money goes; easy to dish out benefits when you're not a business that relies on competitive products and services! AKL Council is a notorious spendthrift - they have something like 200 PR and marketing people! TF has that got to do with collecting rubbish and looking after roads...

hahahaha!

That's Auckland Transport, they're a swearword up here! They're like a child with ADHD. They jump into a project, dig up a road, then get distracted and start a new project neglecting the old one.

As for the Council though, the people I know there do things like data analysis to figure out where schools and healthcare and other important infrastructure should go based on growth, demand and capacity. It's pretty cool to watch really, how they can do a realtime analysis of inground assets (like drainage pipes) for a particular suburb then figure out if the projected growth for that area is sustainable.

Also things like selecting a house and the system will automatically tell you where the closet hospital, school, park, public transport hub etc is. They use this to plan expansion.

But yeah, not all those that work there exchange oxygen for value :lol:

Edited by patches

Has anyone here watched the Guy Williams show New Zealand Today?

If you haven't, and want a good laugh and example how kiwis can laugh at themselves, go check it out on Freeview OnDemand. (similar humour to Sh*t Towns of NZ)

Has anyone here watched the Guy Williams show New Zealand Today?

If you haven't, and want a good laugh and example how kiwis can laugh at themselves, go check it out on Freeview OnDemand. (similar humour to Sh*t Towns of NZ)

Yep, its really quite good. I enjoyed the Mt Albert BBQ thing

Had the exact same experience.

Me too.  Either they're taking the p1ss or just know saffas too well...

But given that there is a biltong kiosk around the corner from work, it's not like you really need to smuggle it!

so....who are y'all voting for?

attachicon.giftenor (1).gif

ACT and David Seymour. He's the only one standing up for fundamental rights eroded in the wake of the Christchurch massacre. Also advocates small government, reduced taxes/reduced benefits, choice in education (ACT was behind the charter schools Labour was ideologically opposed to, because the unions don't like competition; ACT is also responsible for the 3 strikes legislation).

hahahaha!

That's Auckland Transport, they're a swearword up here! They're like a child with ADHD. They jump into a project, dig up a road, then get distracted and start a new project neglecting the old one.

As for the Council though, the people I know there do things like data analysis to figure out where schools and healthcare and other important infrastructure should go based on growth, demand and capacity. It's pretty cool to watch really, how they can do a realtime analysis of inground assets (like drainage pipes) for a particular suburb then figure out if the projected growth for that area is sustainable.

Also things like selecting a house and the system will automatically tell you where the closet hospital, school, park, public transport hub etc is. They use this to plan expansion.

But yeah, not all those that work there exchange oxygen for value :lol:

I still wanna know WTF 200 PR people get up to! And why ATEED exists...or all the 'cultural advisors' etc, etc...

I still wanna know WTF 200 PR people get up to! And why ATEED exists...or all the 'cultural advisors' etc, etc...

You need 200 PR people to be able to come up with enough positive spin for the masses as to why a council needs 200 PR people in the first place. A perpetual motion machine as it were......

Just last week I saw a job on Seek (or was it Linkedin) from Auckland council looking for someone in that space........ if you get a job offer (from a accredited employer) you are basically in..... just look for the job.

Also 46 isn't old at all!

What's the difference in getting a job offer from an accredited employer as opposed to any other employer?

What's the difference in getting a job offer from an accredited employer as opposed to any other employer?

Never mind. Found the answer on Google.