New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

We spent some time down in the windy city (Wellington) this weekend. My sister, brother-in-law, and nephew are fresh off the boat, so we thought it might be nice for them to see some familiar faces, and get a crash course in kiwi everyday life.

It was rather amusing to observe all their reactions to things like supermarkets, public transport, parks, etc.

What was also quite educational for me is that I have not appreciated how hard inflation has hit SA in the last 4yrs.

Whilst strolling through Pak n Save, K-Mart and various other stores my sister kept saying "oh, that's actually cheaper here" or "that's about the same price" to numerous products. I can't account for the cost of living difference first hand, but it seems it's not as stark as it once was (if that's of any comfort to those looking to move over here).

Edited by patches

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We spent some time down in the windy city (Wellington) this weekend. My sister, brother-in-law, and nephew are fresh off the boat, so we thought it might be nice for them to see some familiar faces, and get a crash course in kiwi everyday life.

It was rather amusing to observe all their reactions to things like supermarkets, public transport, parks, etc.

What was also quite educational for me is that I have not appreciated how hard inflation has hit SA in the last 4yrs.

Whilst strolling through Pak n Save, K-Mart and various other stores my sister kept saying "oh, that's actually cheaper here" or "that's about the same price" to numerous products. I can't account for the cost of living difference first hand, but it seems it's not as stark as it once was (if that's of any comfort to those looking to move over here).

My Mrs was in Wellington for a bachelorette this last weekend....should I be suspicious  :w00t:  :lol:

My Mrs was in Wellington for a bachelorette this last weekend....should I be suspicious  :w00t:  :lol:

hahaha! I hope this doesn't add to your suspiscions, but there were some ladies dressed in hen's do gear, checking into the same hotel (Park Hotel) around the same time  :ph34r: :lol:

yes

hahaha! I hope this doesn't add to your suspiscions, but there were some ladies dressed in hen's do gear, checking into the same hotel (Park Hotel) around the same time  :ph34r: :lol:

@Intern - told you so... :whistling:

Anyone got kids racing BMX that side?

My cousin and his kid got into BMX in a big way after the new track was built in Auckland. It looks top class.

My cousin and his kid got into BMX in a big way after the new track was built in Auckland. It looks top class.

Im glad. We are heavily involved here in SA and my kids would freak if they aren't close to a track.

My wife and I have been doing the math and from a groceries point of view the cost per week is around the same as here in SA. Cost of meat is about 30% more but we don't splurge on such often except when we braai.

The cost of living goes sky high when you start factoring in transport and housing. Where our bond here in SA would be around R12k , our rent or bond in NZ would be over double that.

Edited by l4y3rcake

My wife and I have been doing the math and from a groceries point of view the cost per week is around the same as here in SA. Cost of meat is about 30% more but we don't splurge on such often except when we braai.

The cost of living goes sky high when you start factoring in transport and housing. Where our bond here in SA would be around R12k , our rent or bond in NZ would be over double that.

and if you ever moved to Cape Town that rent/bond of 12K would also be over double what you are paying in JHB :P

Today was my first day as an electrician assistant , long term goal is to qualify a few of the licenses and end up in NZ in 6/7 years 

Have so far learned that I'll have to do quite few tests that side cause our systems of supply differ and that I can actually already go apply for my trade test turns out im more than qualified , some areas of practical experience might be lacking still so gona do the year and make an appointment early next year 

and if you ever moved to Cape Town that rent/bond of 12K would also be over double what you are paying in JHB :P

Actually just checked again and the rent would be around R32k per month.

Edited by l4y3rcake

Today was my first day as an electrician assistant , long term goal is to qualify a few of the licenses and end up in NZ in 6/7 years 

Have so far learned that I'll have to do quite few tests that side cause our systems of supply differ and that I can actually already go apply for my trade test turns out im more than qualified , some areas of practical experience might be lacking still so gona do the year and make an appointment early next year 

congrats and good luck!

That's awesome!

And good choice of vocation. Sparkies here can make a killing! Especially because NZ is pretty strict on DIY stuff around the house, so people end up paying upwards of $60/hr to get a sparky out to do things that Saffers would usually do themselves.

One of the hospital electricians is a Saffer. We work with him quite a bit. If you have any questions around what courses, certs etc may be useful and help get you into NZ and which ones aren't. Just drop me a PM.

A man with a plan - good onya and best wishes.

Actually just checked again and the rent would be around R32k per month.

Doesn't have to be quite that much, but if you want to live in a four bedroom house on the (South to mid) North Shore, yep. 

My accountant lives towards Titirangi and pretty obviously thinks we are stone-cold stupid to be paying around that on rent.  We probably are.

6-7 years will fly by, especially in the beginning while your mind and body is working hard learning a new trade.

Best wishes.

In SA you can also make a killing if you are a good electrician who is always on site when needed and can work neatly and accurately.

The one thing that I see local electrical contractors often falling flat on is not being on top of their game when it comes to administration. Especially when it comes to variations while a project is on site and timelines are tight. Document the changes and if you know it will have an effect on your programe, note this, even if just in an email. At the end of the project you need not claim the delays, but if you need them later you at least have this documentation to back you up.

As frustrating as this is, make sure you get it right. It will save you time and money, and when / if there are any discussions later in the game you have a track record of deviations, etc.