New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

How are we all doing peeps?

Good as gold! :lol:

But yeah nah, not too bad.

As Wayne mentioned, there are definitely downs.

Funny enough a big one for me is Bunnings. I just want Bunnings to be open!

Did some home-reno/DIY this long weekend. LOTS of painting!

But I also got side-tracked and decided to try some AV wizardry which resulted in 2 big patches of gib cut out the wall (to run aerial & data cable invisibly to a wall mounted TV). Now I have to live with it until bunnings/Mitre10 open again  :ph34r:

On the other hand, my friends and I have been playing a lot of Catan (boardgame) online, whilst chatting over Zoom. That's been pretty fun and keeps that social element going.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not for an age, but for all time, they said, and so it has come to be. This lockdown bollocks is grating my carrot big time, so much so that we have to resort to a dose of Hamlet: I have of late—but wherefore

I know not—lost all my mirth, forgone all custom of

exercises; and indeed it goes so heavily with my

disposition that this goodly frame, the earth, seems to

me a sterile promontory, this most excellent canopy,

the air, look you, this brave o'erhanging firmament,

this majestical roof fretted with golden fire, why,

it appears no other thing to me than a foul and pestilent

congregation of vapors. What a piece of work is a man!

How noble in reason, how infinite in faculties,

in form and moving how express and admirable,

in action how like an angel, in apprehension how like

a god! The beauty of the world, the paragon of animals!

And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man

delights not me—no, nor woman neither, though by

your smiling you seem to say so.

Any of you folk know anything about creating virtual rooms? 

Something that can maybe drag a CAD drawing into a virtual room etc?

Any of you folk know anything about creating virtual rooms? 

Something that can maybe drag a CAD drawing into a virtual room etc?

Unity and Unreal are the 2 most popular engines for converting CAD/BIM models into VR environments. It takes a bit of know-how though.

Other tools like Revizto (very popular design & construction issue tracking tool) have VR capability. Great tool for multi-disciplinary collaboration.

If it's purely for visualisation though, Enscape is one of simplest to use, and produces pretty decent results in real-time (depending on PC performance).

Are those the sorts of tools you were referring to, or are you talking more about a virtual meeting room type setup?

Also, is the CAD 2D or 3D?

Unity and Unreal are the 2 most popular engines for converting CAD/BIM models into VR environments. It takes a bit of know-how though.

Other tools like Revizto (very popular design & construction issue tracking tool) have VR capability. Great tool for multi-disciplinary collaboration.

If it's purely for visualisation though, Enscape is one of simplest to use, and produces pretty decent results in real-time (depending on PC performance).

Are those the sorts of tools you were referring to, or are you talking more about a virtual meeting room type setup?

Also, is the CAD 2D or 3D?

No, not meeting room type setups. It will be to set up a construction site and to do designs or inspections layouts etc

No, not meeting room type setups. It will be to set up a construction site and to do designs or inspections layouts etc

In that case Revizto is great, and what I'd recommend (and what we and our consultants & contractrors use on projects). Your former employer also used it to manage the design and construction issues on the Building 4 project.

The basic idea is that models get exported to Navisworks. Clash detection is run. Those issues, models, and drawings get loaded into Revizto.

Issues can then be assigned, managed, tracked, and visualized by various stake-holders. It runs on iPads too, allowing contractors on site to have access to all models & documentation, and raise issues as they come across them.

It has a reporting function, which can be tied into a Power BI dashboard so that progress can be monitored.

It also allows the overlay of point-clouds, so actual site information can be compared to the modelled design, and changes made where necessary.

All in all it's really powerful.

That said, Autodesk is upping their game with their BIM360 applications, and tools like BIM360 Design (the most popular) are being complimented with BIM360 Coordinate, Build, etc. Ultimately they will probably surpass Revizto, but for now they're still trying to catch up.

Hope that helps. PM me if you need more info. Sorry to all others for the hijack.

All in all it's really powerful.

It does look great! Thanks for the info! I am sure I'll be in contact

So Level 3 conditions... 

For me it basically sounds like Level 4 with Uber Eats (which I don't use anyway).

Keen to hear what your thoughts are?!

Edited by patches

So Level 3 conditions... 

For me it basically sounds like Level 4 with Uber Eats (which I don't use anyway).

I was mailing a NZ based buddy and told him that your Level 3 is still worse than our (Aus)  hodge-podge collection of make-it-up-as-we-go-along rules.

I was mailing a NZ based buddy and told him that your Level 3 is still worse than our (Aus)  hodge-podge collection of make-it-up-as-we-go-along rules.

Yup! Totally is. Still no Bunnings trips fo me!

Yup! Totally is. Still no Bunnings trips fo me!

I fear the postage for a 6 m length of 2 by 4 , or a sheet of ply would make it impractical for me to send you the necessary supplies !

In a similar vein, we checked the Australian Post website recently. It is impossible to post anything to the sub-Sahara Africa at the moment due to border shutdowns and no flights.

Who would have thought that society could regress 200 odd years in a month, as you could mail stuff back then. Surface mail is obviously no longer a "thing."

Post to the first world is still possible, but they say to expect limited delivery spaces and unknown delays in the order of several weeks.

So Level 3 conditions... 

Jip, but it seems your lockdown is going well with the majority of folks abiding by the rules.

Watching the situation very keenly.......

On a side note, relating to being forced to take leave. Its not illegal, and my company which at first didn't make us take leave, has now applied it. 

But the brighter news is, I have not had to take a pay cut yet.....

8fdhxpjjsgt41.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

For those of you who are as unhealthy as I am...

...what's the first takeaway you're going to order on Thursday (if today's 4pm announcement moves us to Level 3).

Jip, but it seems your lockdown is going well with the majority of folks abiding by the rules.

Watching the situation very keenly.......

Yeah, I think in general people have been doing their best to comply. So much so that every 2nd person is now a self-appointed undercover police informant :lol:

I think in the first week there were about 3500 reports from the public, dobbing in others for non-compliance.

Either way, the one thing I fear is that if those in the driver.s seat decide to extend this road-trip without letting the kids stop for a pee, we may have more and more bailing out of the station-wagon.

There's an underlying murmur that they might decide to extend Level 4 until after Anzac weekend, for fear that the public will use the long weekend to travel around, if Level 3 were in place.

1 long weekend in lockdown is hard. 2 is cruel.

I fear the postage for a 6 m length of 2 by 4 , or a sheet of ply would make it impractical for me to send you the necessary supplies !

In a similar vein, we checked the Australian Post website recently. It is impossible to post anything to the sub-Sahara Africa at the moment due to border shutdowns and no flights.

Who would have thought that society could regress 200 odd years in a month, as you could mail stuff back then. Surface mail is obviously no longer a "thing."

Post to the first world is still possible, but they say to expect limited delivery spaces and unknown delays in the order of several weeks.

Hahaha, the Aussie online businesses that deliver to NZ have boomed over this lockdown. If only Bunnings was one of them. Plus your Bunnings, Harvey Norman and JB Hifi are way better than ours.

Man I wish either of those delivered to NZ.

Althouth, as you say, 20m of 2x4 and 6 sheets of gib may be hard for the postman :lol: