New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

Its a great cheap little car for running around. We used it almost exclusively for a year and a bit and only used the big car for weekends away. 

I moved to Mercury Energy when we got it as they offer great power incentives for ev's. Costs me about $4 to "fill the tank" and i can do around 120km on that charge. We charged primarily at home using a standard wall plug.

In AKL we can also use the Vector public chargers for free , so i can charge it from empty to 80% in less than 30 minutes at a garage.

It is insanely quick - having all that torque is amazing and there is not many vehicles that keep up to it on pull off. 

EDIT - the range is better in winter weirdly, Get around 140km on a single charge.

I bought the smallest battery size at 24kw. There is a 30KW version in the old shape, but with only doing low mileages around home, there was really no need to buy the bigger battery.

I got into the habit of charging it every second evening and it became second nature really to just plug the car in.

I highly highly recommend an EV in NZ as a second runaround. I would not use it as a primary family vehicle as the range is too short for long trips.

Comprehensive reply, thanks. Yes I think if you need two vehicles, one EV runaround is the way to go; maintenance likely far less given the lack of moving parts/simplicity of an electric motor vs ICE. Of course there is eventual battery replacement to factor in, too.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Comprehensive reply, thanks. Yes I think if you need two vehicles, one EV runaround is the way to go; maintenance likely far less given the lack of moving parts/simplicity of an electric motor vs ICE. Of course there is eventual battery replacement to factor in, too.

On the maintenance side it is almost non existent. 

I need to do an annual WOF by law. My annual service costs $105 which includes the WOF. Main thing they check for is tyre wear. With never going to a fuel station, checking your tyre pressure is not top of mind so it is something to remember explicitly to do. :whistling:

Honestly, its not worth changing the batteries at this point on these cars. The lifespan is around 15 years and then the car is essentially toast. Until the battery packs come down in price(which they are) its probably not worth it as you would be bored in 15 years anyway. A battery replacement on a 2015 leaf is around $7k and by the time it will need one in 10 years, i doubt it will even be worth that.

I drove a 2020 Tesla the other day and can confirm that the difference in the batteries from my leaf to the tesla is huge. The technology has come a long way since then.

We love EV's so much, we replaced our big 3.5L V6 Highlander with a Rav4 Hybrid and it is awesome!

@davetapson, I see you got your invite to the Shed induction next week. For some reason they invited me again [emoji38]

Also, I recently acquired a Makita track saw (and a 1400mm track), so there's another option if you need to rip down some sheet goods (especially sheets that are too awkward in size for the Shed table saw). Just give me a shout and we can see what we can do.

Yeh - got the email! :)

You shouldn't make offers like that... [emoji38]

I've got another boat in mind. Need to finish this one first, then lull the missus into a state of inattention, then sneak another one in. For this one I started on a kayak, then realised that it's never going to get used due to family, better do some family friendly thing, started on the dinghy and only when it was obviously not a kayak did she notice... 'What, you building ANOTHER boat..!?' "Yeh, didn't you notice? Oh, thought you knew..."

The next one is going to be hopefully a bespoke John Welsford design - something beefy enough to go camping on the various islands - including Great Barrier. I've asked him to come up with the equivalent of a double-cab bakkie - some accommodation, loadable, fast.

He has something he designed for himself that is nearly right - just too fine / un-loadable for my purposes....

5d136babf547b35bdfec0df87e68747b.jpg

Edited by davetapson

Yeh - got the email! :)

You shouldn't make offers like that... [emoji38]

I've got another boat in mind. Need to finish this one first, then lull the missus into a state of inattention, then sneak another one in. For this one I started on a kayak, then realised that it's never going to get used due to family, better do some family friendly thing, started on the dinghy and only when it was obviously not a kayak did she notice... 'What, you building ANOTHER boat..!?' "Yeh, didn't you notice? Oh, thought you knew..."

The next one is going to be hopefully a bespoke John Welsford design - something beefy enough to go camping on the various islands - including Great Barrier. I've asked him to come up with the equivalent of a double-cab bakkie - some accommodation, loadable, fast.

He has something he designed for himself that is nearly right - just too fine / un-loadable for my purposes....

5d136babf547b35bdfec0df87e68747b.jpg

You're onto it! Incremental increase! hahaha!

That boat look awesome!

Where in SA were you originally from? Did you sail there, or is this something you've taken up since living in the "City of Sails"?

You're onto it! Incremental increase! hahaha!

That boat look awesome!

Where in SA were you originally from? Did you sail there, or is this something you've taken up since living in the "City of Sails"?

Grew up in Zim, sailing on dams around Bulawayo, then not much until now (hopefully). The Gulf is such a resource it's a pity not to make full use of it, and I like sailing and building boats so it's a win-win.

But to answer your question, all over the place but ending up in Benoni for the last 14yrs...!

Grew up in Zim, sailing on dams around Bulawayo, then not much until now (hopefully). The Gulf is such a resource it's a pity not to make full use of it, and I like sailing and building boats so it's a win-win.

But to answer your question, all over the place but ending up in Benoni for the last 14yrs...!

Another Bulawayo brother, deserves a thumbs up on principle, although you could have upgraded in your time in SA rather than stick to place names beginning with B  (Benoni) !  :thumbup:

Aah a Zimbo! My family is all from there. Father and mother grew up there. Grandparents lived in Bulawayo (grandmother still does). My uncles all went to Falcon college. A couple of my cousins did too.

My grandfather was big into his boats (motorized) and fishing, but funny enough never took us kids to the dams around Bulawayo as he had a chalet and houseboat down on the Zambezi (Msuna, not far from Hwange).

As for Benoni, I had some friends out Rhynfield way with a couple of those racing pencil-ducks. loads of fun!

But yeah, totally hear you, the water here is world class and it's a pity not to take advantage of it.

Aah a Zimbo! My family is all from there. Father and mother grew up there. Grandparents lived in Bulawayo (grandmother still does). My uncles all went to Falcon college. A couple of my cousins did too.

My grandfather was big into his boats (motorized) and fishing, but funny enough never took us kids to the dams around Bulawayo as he had a chalet and houseboat down on the Zambezi (Msuna, not far from Hwange).

As for Benoni, I had some friends out Rhynfield way with a couple of those racing pencil-ducks. loads of fun!

But yeah, totally hear you, the water here is world class and it's a pity not to take advantage of it.

Ummm - I lived in Rynfield.  :blink:

Something about Benoni must have really sucked for so many of us to be here?

Another Bulawayo brother, deserves a thumbs up on principle, although you could have upgraded in your time in SA rather than stick to place names beginning with B  (Benoni) !  :thumbup:

Bullies, centre of the world!  Had some others: Chiredzi (more accurately Mkwasine), Pietermartizburg, Oshakati, Capetown, Mtunzini, South Croydon, somewhere else in London that escapes me, Isle of Mull, Capetown, Empangeni, Putney, Wimbledon, Edinburgh, Grantchester, Islington, Chelmsford, Benoni - Auckland...

The Zam, one of the worlds finest places... I remember you mentioning Kanyemba in some long ago post, I think to Barry for some reason, and thinking 'yeh, not many know where that is, fewer been there...'

Ummm - I lived in Rynfield.  :blink:

Something about Benoni must have really sucked for so many of us to be here?

Yeah, we lived about three blocks from your burger joint in Morehill Terrace or whatever it was called.

Suppose it didn't have enough going for it to overlook the alternatives... it was so-so, not my favourite spot.  My wife's family is from there and she wanted to move back to SA to look after her folks - who promptly fought with us and then didn't speak with us for 5 years, so that was a real win  <_<

Edited by davetapson

Bullies, centre of the world!  Had some others: Chiredzi (more accurately Mkwasine), Pietermartizburg, Oshakati, Capetown, Mtunzini, South Croydon, somewhere else in London that escapes me, Isle of Mull, Capetown, Empangeni, Putney, Wimbledon, Edinburgh, Grantchester, Islington, Chelmsford, Benoni - Auckland...

The Zam, one of the worlds finest places... I remember you mentioning Kanyemba in some long ago post, I think to Barry for some reason, and thinking 'yeh, not many know where that is, fewer been there...'

Yeah, we lived about three blocks from your burger joint in Morehill Terrace or whatever it was called.

Suppose it didn't have enough going for it to overlook the alternatives... it was so-so, not my favourite spot.  My wife's family is from there and she wanted to move back to SA to look after her folks - who promptly fought with us and then didn't speak with us for 5 years, so that was a real win  <_<

Haha, also from Bullies, dont tell me you also went to Hillside Junior.

When this group rode at Woodhill I never managed to put names to faces so dont know who I met when we rode. Maybe we should have another ride out there some time, looks like a few of us are on North shore.

When this group rode at Woodhill I never managed to put names to faces so dont know who I met when we rode. Maybe we should have another ride out there some time, looks like a few of us are on North shore.

Yep, then Milton. On hindsight, should have done Falcon.

Ok wow. 294 pages later and I hope I have most of the information without asking too many questions that have already been answered.

So wife and I are seriously considering a move to Christchurch (I know I know...not the best time but I guess no matter whats going on the best time to start is immediately).

I know VISAs etc are currently closed, as are all flights etc. but figured that we might start the process now anyway given that it takes a while.

Looking at the options I think that Skilled Migrant Visa makes the most sense for us. I should be able to score 160 points without a job offer unless I've done something wrong on the online calculator. Edit: actually made a mistake I think...not sure Chartered Accountant qualifies here anymore or perhaps thats just for absolute skills shortage work experience. Hmmmmm

Why Christchurch? I reckon if I'm going to move my entire life I'd like to try and readjust to one that's a bit more relaxed and I like the idea of a smaller city. I realise that job opportunities won't be as good as Auckland but I'm willing to trade that against a smaller city feel, cheaper property, and hopefully a different quality of life.

I see patches is the only person who was in Christchurch for a while...any reason (besides earthquakes) I should be avoiding it?

We have 4 dogs and 2 cats so Interns estimate of the cost of moving pets terrifies me.

Looks like first action is completing the EOI....any tips?

Edited by travisza

Ok wow. 294 pages later and I hope I have most of the information without asking too many questions that have already been answered.

So wife and I are seriously considering a move to Christchurch (I know I know...not the best time but I guess no matter whats going on the best time to start is immediately).

I know VISAs etc are currently closed, as are all flights etc. but figured that we might start the process now anyway given that it takes a while.

Looking at the options I think that Skilled Migrant Visa makes the most sense for us. I should be able to score 160 points without a job offer unless I've done something wrong on the online calculator. Edit: actually made a mistake I think...not sure Chartered Accountant qualifies here anymore or perhaps thats just for absolute skills shortage work experience. Hmmmmm

Why Christchurch? I reckon if I'm going to move my entire life I'd like to try and readjust to one that's a bit more relaxed and I like the idea of a smaller city. I realise that job opportunities won't be as good as Auckland but I'm willing to trade that against a smaller city feel, cheaper property, and hopefully a different quality of life.

I see patches is the only person who was in Christchurch for a while...any reason (besides earthquakes) I should be avoiding it?

We have 4 dogs and 2 cats so Interns estimate of the cost of moving pets terrifies me.

Looks like first action is completing the EOI....any tips?

Hi Travis.

If no kids, CHC would be a good choice. Proviso being it is a small town compared to most of ZA.

For perspective, Benoni has half the population of AUCKLAND. And that's our biggest city.

CHC is a good gateway to adventure and still has a reasonably good economy for job seekers. 

I went there three weeks ago to investigate living there, but was not happy with the schools so that's why we did not make the move.

My biggest suggestion and recommendation is to use a registered immigration agent. Especially in these turbulent times. Paying for good advice is invaluable. Most of us moved here before the major immigration changes, so essentially our advice becomes more obsolete over time. 

I am happy to recommend a few if you like?

I'd need to dig my bike out from under the sawdust and spiders and try and remember how to ride it.

What's that thing they say - you never forget how to fall off a bicycle..?

PS: that's one thing they never mention about NZ - spiders.  Damn, they're everywhere.

CHC is a good gateway to adventure and still has a reasonably good economy for job seekers. 

I've had quite a few jobs coming through for positions in CHC (this is IT, but  where there are companies that need IT, there will be companies that need CA's?) - we're pretty much stuck in AKL but looks like we could make a good go of it there easily enough.

We used an agent that WP suggested back in the day, no regrets at all.  It's probably possible to DIY, but if you want to get one and done, just stump up the bucks and put it in an experts hands.  We would not have put some of the stuff on the forms that they did, so they may be able to pivot your application to look better in INZ's eyes than you probably might know how to.