New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

I'm jealous!

My weekends have been non-stop dry-walling for I don't know how long. My bikes are currently parked right up against each other to allow access to building materials, and I have a 2 bails of pink-batts resting on top of their saddles. It's sacrilegious.

Not to mention, NZTA sent me notification of rego-cancellation on the 350 as I haven't had time ti finish off the rebuild after it failed a WOF, haha.

The 450's 3 month rego hold is nearly up, so I'll be optimistically proactive and renew it and make an effort to get out for some rides!

Dude, make some time. Even better, come down to Whaka-side so I can show you some of the awesome trails we got on the doorstep. You won't regret it!

In other news, I am weighing up a WR450F (2017) vs a FE450 (2016). Right now I am leaning to the Yammie as I know and love the WR250F, which is to become my wife's bike and we'll flick off the Honda CRF250 Rally (which has been a superb starter bike and which, with the addition of some dirt tyres, is a surprisingly fun and capable offroader).

Have you opinions on the comparison? The KYB suspension is A+ on the 250 and I have heard the WP suspension isn't universally appreciated...

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's a squeeker guys? Have tried Google (with 'zambesi') but nothing promising...

Squeekers- the curse of the Zambesi. I recall a spontaneous night fishing trip, instigated after an evening at the pub, in which we all piled into the back of a landy and headed off, sans camping gear or food to the river.

As per usual, nothing but squeekers. I recall thinking the one I caught looked a little different than the rest, as it had strange discolorations. Anyways, it got chucked back in like the rest. A few months later I was reading the national angling records book at the WABC and realised I had caught a rare leopard squeeker, which is a separate recognised specie, due to its spots. It's also much smaller than the rest of the genus. If I had taken my catch to the WABC for verification I would have beaten the national record and have my name forever in the history books!

Anyway, it would have been a sad, hungover brekky, but we did find a local willing to sell his catch, so fresh grilled bream was on the cards after all.

You're not supposed to let the catfish out the bag with that fishing technique!!

edited in light of new information.

Edited by intern

What's a squeeker guys? Have tried Google (with 'zambesi') but nothing promising...

Its an upside down catfish, synodontis zambezensis. we called the waga waga fish because of the noise they make when you catch them, also called korokoro, also probably because of the sound they make.

Their dorsal fin is dangerous, have had a few stuck in my hand.

Its an upside down catfish, synodontis zambezensis. we called the waga waga fish because of the noise they make when you catch them, also called korokoro, also probably because of the sound they make.

I do almost anything to avoid working, so now I am reading up on synodontis...  :thumbup:

This is going to sound cruel but I am glad we did not bring our pets.

The adjustment would be too huge. The costs too high and rentals with a pet is a difficult challenge.

We rehomed our pets in SA. Mostly to gunners and we stayed in contact and they look really happy.

Edit. Not gunners. HUBBERS.

This is for Travis - not nice or easy to say, but leave the pets behind if you can rehome them. Finding a rental is hard, it is MUCH harder with pets. Also, you will be in a new country with no mates or family, and pets will make it impossible to go exploring etc for more than a few hours or maybe an overnighter.

It's a tough one, of course. But the costs and the crimps on your lifestyle make it very hard to justify bringing the pets with. I say that with my beloved beagle at my feet - my other dog I brought with died a few years ago.

Dude, make some time. Even better, come down to Whaka-side so I can show you some of the awesome trails we got on the doorstep. You won't regret it!

In other news, I am weighing up a WR450F (2017) vs a FE450 (2016). Right now I am leaning to the Yammie as I know and love the WR250F, which is to become my wife's bike and we'll flick off the Honda CRF250 Rally (which has been a superb starter bike and which, with the addition of some dirt tyres, is a surprisingly fun and capable offroader).

Have you opinions on the comparison? The KYB suspension is A+ on the 250 and I have heard the WP suspension isn't universally appreciated...

Hmmm... I can only comment on the 2016 FE450 (as that is one of my current bikes), and yes, there are downsides.

1. Service intervals (oil changes) are every 15hrs according to the book. I stretch those out, 10w60 fully synthetic is not cheap.
  2. Resale value. The Austrian enduro bikes are awesome, but in NZ (a country that loves Japanese dirt bikes), the overpriced Austrians take a huge knock on the resale value. Although if you're buying used, someone else is taking that knock for you  :ph34r: :lol:
  3. aaand the fork. Yes, the KYB's on YZ's and WR's is generally regarded as a much better feeling fork than the divisive WP 4CS (which the 2014 - 16 Huskies and KTM Six Days bikes came with). Aparently the 4CS can be magic if tuned properly (like via a Race Tech Gold Valve kit etc), but I also know of guys who have rather chosen to spend that effort on swapping out their 4CS's for some KYB's. The newer models run the Xplor fork which is supposed to be a vast improvement. As for me and my skill level, I just run the 4CS with appropriately weighted springs, and let my ignorance do the rest :lol:

All in I'd say the Yammie is probably a better bet. The Husky is a fine machine, and definitely way too much for me to really warrant, but if I had to do it all over (and wasn't thousands of dollars deep in very specific aftermarket accessories), I'd probably go one of 2 ways...

Either bigger on the Husky/KTM (go for the FE501/EXC-F 500. That extra bit of stroke seems to make a pretty bomb-proof engine, while delivering insane power. There's a Kiwi guy who has ridden his around the world. Not to mention it's Adam Riemann's bike of choice for his Motonomad adventures. A 110kg bike with over 60HP. It's the poor-man's 450 Rally.

Or I'd go Japanese, like the WR450 or the Honda CRF450L (although those are nearly Husky money).

Hmmm... I can only comment on the 2016 FE450 (as that is one of my current bikes), and yes, there are downsides.

1. Service intervals (oil changes) are every 15hrs according to the book. I stretch those out, 10w60 fully synthetic is not cheap.
  2. Resale value. The Austrian enduro bikes are awesome, but in NZ (a country that loves Japanese dirt bikes), the overpriced Austrians take a huge knock on the resale value. Although if you're buying used, someone else is taking that knock for you  :ph34r: :lol:
  3. aaand the fork. Yes, the KYB's on YZ's and WR's is generally regarded as a much better feeling fork than the divisive WP 4CS (which the 2014 - 16 Huskies and KTM Six Days bikes came with). Aparently the 4CS can be magic if tuned properly (like via a Race Tech Gold Valve kit etc), but I also know of guys who have rather chosen to spend that effort on swapping out their 4CS's for some KYB's. The newer models run the Xplor fork which is supposed to be a vast improvement. As for me and my skill level, I just run the 4CS with appropriately weighted springs, and let my ignorance do the rest :lol:

All in I'd say the Yammie is probably a better bet. The Husky is a fine machine, and definitely way too much for me to really warrant, but if I had to do it all over (and wasn't thousands of dollars deep in very specific aftermarket accessories), I'd probably go one of 2 ways...

Either bigger on the Husky/KTM (go for the FE501/EXC-F 500. That extra bit of stroke seems to make a pretty bomb-proof engine, while delivering insane power. There's a Kiwi guy who has ridden his around the world. Not to mention it's Adam Riemann's bike of choice for his Motonomad adventures. A 110kg bike with over 60HP. It's the poor-man's 450 Rally.

Or I'd go Japanese, like the WR450 or the Honda CRF450L (although those are nearly Husky money).

Patches, SHOT. I'll go with the Yammie I reckon, I know and love the KYBs, and the rest of the Yam has that good old Japanese build quality, too. And I can't be arsed with tuning suspension.

I've been changing oil every 1000 with the WR250; did a valve clearance check last weekend. They're on the edge of tolerance...not sure I am sufficiently confident to re-shim them myself, but hey, who knows.

Managed to ride around 16 hours last week in 6 sessions. This moto thing is addictive, especially when you're ripping it through paradise  :lol:

hahaha we may have to start a side thread [emoji38]

Loads of great and scary memories downriver too. One holiday in Chirundu my father managed to find every sandbank in that section of river in his little bass boat.

Chirundu... one time we were staying in Willy Reed(?)'s camp and had gone up to the trading store near the main road to buy beer.

Was sitting in the car watching an elephant standing under a tree near the store. A local comes out of the store with a loaf of bread, jumps on his bicycle and takes off with elephant in hot pursuit, seemingly after the bread...

Didn't look like the first time it had happened either  :lol:

Edited by davetapson

This is for Travis - not nice or easy to say, but leave the pets behind if you can rehome them. Finding a rental is hard, it is MUCH harder with pets. Also, you will be in a new country with no mates or family, and pets will make it impossible to go exploring etc for more than a few hours or maybe an overnighter.

It's a tough one, of course. But the costs and the crimps on your lifestyle make it very hard to justify bringing the pets with. I say that with my beloved beagle at my feet - my other dog I brought with died a few years ago.

Thanks. I completely understand the rational argument. And I'm with you on moving to a new city (and country!), finding a rental, etc. As hard as it would be to leave them behind I could come to terms with it if we were able to find good homes for them. 

However, my wife would never let that happen. In her mind there are two options (1) animals come with (2) animals are too sick/old to come with and so we have to put them down. She won't leave SA without them...I know everyone loves their pets but my wife takes it to a different level (I know we aren't snowflakes and everyone probably feels that way).

Thanks. I completely understand the rational argument. And I'm with you on moving to a new city (and country!), finding a rental, etc. As hard as it would be to leave them behind I could come to terms with it if we were able to find good homes for them. 

However, my wife would never let that happen. In her mind there are two options (1) animals come with (2) animals are too sick/old to come with and so we have to put them down. She won't leave SA without them...I know everyone loves their pets but my wife takes it to a different level (I know we aren't snowflakes and everyone probably feels that way).

Seeing lots of people who moved over with pets and now just cannot find accommodation that allows for pets. It would seem landlords are not happy to have pets including in leases.

Seeing lots of people who moved over with pets and now just cannot find accommodation that allows for pets. It would seem landlords are not happy to have pets including in leases.

Thanks Steven. Definitely something my wife and I need to have a hard conversation about

Thanks for bringing science into the thread. Those fins coated with toxic slime are dangerous and filled me with terror as boy can these fish wriggle in the hand. My preferred method of getting them off the hook if on shore was to immobilise them underfoot (shoes being essential), get the hook out, then nudge them back into the water. They sure could squeek loud underfoot (like standing on rubber duckies for those not familiar with the breed).

I just looked up the current size record for a leopard squeeker now, and at 17 cm I still think I should have it. In reality I reckon the record has been broken many times, but it's such a pathetic catch that no one ever bothers to record them and have the catch verified. 

My granddad loved to tinker with things and built himself what must have been a 20ft long boat out of steel plate, called the "Maramba". It was only powered by 2x 40HP Mariner's which he converted to paraffin. They were VERY noisy.

Loads of great and scary memories downriver too. One holiday in Chirundu my father managed to find every sandbank in that section of river in his little bass boat. I recall having to stand up and be in croc lookout as he jumped overboard to try get the boat unstuck  :ph34r:

Yes, some of the boats on the Zambesi were pretty agricultural, home-made affairs that would make any naval architect weep.

On the upper reaches we didn't often get grounded on sandbanks, but would lose the shear pin holding the prop in place after bashing it on rocks. End result is similar though, with some PB having to work on fitting a new pin on the lifted outboard motor/prop at arms length, exposed to all the crocs in the vicinity. You would be going along and just hear the engine pitch suddenly increase as the motor lost resistance and the revs went up, and get that sinking feeling.....

Thanks for bringing science into the thread. Those fins coated with toxic slime are dangerous and filled me with terror as boy can these fish wriggle in the hand. My preferred method of getting them off the hook if on shore was to immobilise them underfoot (shoes being essential), get the hook out, then nudge them back into the water. They sure could squeek loud underfoot (like standing on rubber duckies for those not familiar with the breed).

I just looked up the current size record for a leopard squeeker now, and at 17 cm I still think I should have it. In reality I reckon the record has been broken many times, but it's such a pathetic catch that no one ever bothers to record them and have the catch verified. 

I'm now an expert on the sqeeker, Patham, so go ahead and ask me anything you'd like to know about it  :lol:  :stupid: