New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

On the latter part, yes most certainly. Scale is an issue as is distance. These factors are a part of why the cost of living here is astronomical.

But on the up side, everyone knows one another. It's like Brakpan on a slightly larger scale.

Sure, the NZ Economy "suffers" because of size and location. But perhaps a better question is how does the NZ economy compare to another economy?

My opinion is that things are far better here than RSA (even with the NZ challenges)

Perhaps I am biased. Owning my own business in RSA and having to deal with BBBEE and a struggle to obtain payment from customers along with a workforce that was more concerned with stealing than working has left me a little jaded.

Do I think NZ could do better - ABSOLUTELY.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, the NZ Economy "suffers" because of size and location. But perhaps a better question is how does the NZ economy compare to another economy?

My opinion is that things are far better here than RSA (even with the NZ challenges)

Perhaps I am biased. Owning my own business in RSA and having to deal with BBBEE and a struggle to obtain payment from customers along with a workforce that was more concerned with stealing than working has left me a little jaded.

Haha, we obvs think it is better here because, well, here we are. The distant memory of BBBBBBBBEEE bulldust, everyone on the take, etc, is not a pleasant one, though of course we have our own special people here.

One thing you will notice though is that outside of corporate, there is a lot of nickeling and diming. People don't like spending money and haggle on price (SMEs). And the market is limited - it has to be, there's only a Brakpan load of us here.

But we're a LEKKER Brakpan load. And that's what makes us awesome, right? Right?

On the latter part, yes most certainly. Scale is an issue as is distance. These factors are a part of why the cost of living here is astronomical.

But on the up side, everyone knows one another. It's like Brakpan on a slightly larger scale.

And classier... only slightly and only if you live in Wanaka :lol:

Do you think small business and entrepreneurs stand a better chance in NZ?

Take BBBBEEEBBEBEBEE aside, and just purely from the view of the market willing to support a local, small business, possibly providing a bespoke product or service?!

Having only ever worked for corporate and having a fear of job insecurity and the lack of steady income (drilled into me from years in living in SA), I still tend to lean in that direction, BUT I do genuinely believe (perhaps through rosy coloured glasses) that a small business or half decent idea has more of a chance in becoming a dependable income earner than it does in SA?!

What say you as a man of vast entrepreneurial experience?

Haha, we obvs think it is better here because, well, here we are. The distant memory of BBBBBBBBEEE bulldust, everyone on the take, etc, is not a pleasant one, though of course we have our own special people here.

One thing you will notice though is that outside of corporate, there is a lot of nickeling and diming. People don't like spending money and haggle on price (SMEs). And the market is limited - it has to be, there's only a Brakpan load of us here.

But we're a LEKKER Brakpan load. And that's what makes us awesome, right? Right?

A while back when buying a new TV I used PriceSpy to keep tabs on who had the best price, what the lowest historic price was for that particular model, and all that. During that time Harvey Norman had a "Massive Never to be repeated" sale which included that very model I was after. But the sale was a farce as the price was about $200 MORE than their regular price and nearly $1000 more than the best historic price. When I asked them about it, they simply stated that they adjust their pricing according to the competition and they were cheaper than all their competitors at that specific date and time. That's a pretty low bar to attach a "BIGGEST EVER MASSIVE SUPER_FANTASTIC" sale banner to...

...2 weeks later Noel Leeming dropped it back down by the nearly $1000 and I swooped in then.

Moral of the story... in NZ things are nearly always "On Sale", so ignore that. It pays to know what something is actually worth.

Edited by patches

Ahh the endless, endless, never to be repeated, endless 'sales'. Everything is on sale, all the time. Clearly we're sheep or they are marketing to the livestock, because we apparently fall for it every time (if we aren't engineers like Patches).

It is FAR easier to do business here. For one thing, while you might get nickel and dimed, you will also more than likely get paid. And quite often on time, too.

Then of course setting up and administering a business is a fast, easy process which can be done from your desk in minutes. And as you probably know, any dealings with the govt are often as good or better than your dealings with the private sector....

Some harsh realities being shared here. All the best guys, sometimes life comes at you hard. WP made a telling comment though, you have to act for the next generation.

Also, a word on frogs in pots. I looked this up. Turns out, someone (probably a Frenchman  :lol:) tested the theory. Turns out frogs are pretty good thermometers and will get out of the pot if the temp exceeds something like 25C. Thermoregulation is necessary for survival, apparently.

Fake news, a Frenchman would never let the frog out the pot and loose a meal!

And as you probably know, any dealings with the govt are often as good or better than your dealings with the private sector....

That must take some getting used to. I think us Saffers left here have just resigned ourselves to avoiding anything public wherever possible.

That must take some getting used to. I think us Saffers left here have just resigned ourselves to avoiding anything public wherever possible.

Weirdly enough it does take some getting used to. I remember getting psyched up to deal with an IRD query (our tax okes). Call was answered on the second ring and the person who answered had everything they needed to resolve my GST query first time. I was left a bit flabbergasted because the fight I'd prepared for just never happened...and the whole 'ordeal' was over in less than 5 minutes.

Weirdly enough it does take some getting used to. I remember getting psyched up to deal with an IRD query (our tax okes). Call was answered on the second ring and the person who answered had everything they needed to resolve my GST query first time. I was left a bit flabbergasted because the fight I'd prepared for just never happened...and the whole 'ordeal' was over in less than 5 minutes.

It's such a foreign concept in my mind that it doesnt seem real. Here most government services are designed to be difficult to get resolutions, its often not worth the frustration.

It's such a foreign concept in my mind that it doesnt seem real. Here most government services are designed to be difficult to get resolutions, its often not worth the frustration.

Not to mention that certain processes require very little effort on the public's part.

Driver's License renewals (or conversions from Saffer licences) - Can be done at many locations (including AA branches) and they post the license to you. Yes, it's posted and arrives within 5 days. No queuing 2hrs to apply, waiting 6 weeks, then queuing another 2hrs just to collect.

Police Clearance - Apply online. No fingerprints required. Gets posted within a month. (and yes, a 1 month wait is considered excessive here)

Tax returns - literally do nothing. Yes, that's correct. The average Joe with simple finances does not need to file a tax return as the IRD (NZ SARS) does it for them and automatically calculates processes and pays/notifies any return/required payments.

Like intern said, us Saffers gear up for the struggle and 9x out of 10 are met with no resistance, helpful and prompt service.

It also helps that the government has seen the benefit in allowing the private sector to help out with certain things (eg. vehicle and license related admin for instance can be done at multiple service providers).

Not to mention that certain processes require very little effort on the public's part.

Driver's License renewals (or conversions from Saffer licences) - Can be done at many locations (including AA branches) and they post the license to you. Yes, it's posted and arrives within 5 days. No queuing 2hrs to apply, waiting 6 weeks, then queuing another 2hrs just to collect.

Police Clearance - Apply online. No fingerprints required. Gets posted within a month. (and yes, a 1 month wait is considered excessive here)

Tax returns - literally do nothing. Yes, that's correct. The average Joe with simple finances does not need to file a tax return as the IRD (NZ SARS) does it for them and automatically calculates processes and pays/notifies any return/required payments.

Like intern said, us Saffers gear up for the struggle and 9x out of 10 are met with no resistance, helpful and prompt service.

It also helps that the government has seen the benefit in allowing the private sector to help out with certain things (eg. vehicle and license related admin for instance can be done at multiple service providers).

I just sold a car privately and it was so easy.

Once i found a willing buyer, he went online and could see ALL the history of the car including any outstanding financed amounts. He paid me for the car and when he collected it we both filled out an online form on his phone and immediately the vehicle was transferred into his name.

Easy Peasy.

I just sold a car privately and it was so easy.

Once i found a willing buyer, he went online and could see ALL the history of the car including any outstanding financed amounts. He paid me for the car and when he collected it we both filled out an online form on his phone and immediately the vehicle was transferred into his name.

Easy Peasy.

Oh yeah, I forgot about how easy that was. Did the same when I sold my car a few years back.

Oh yeah, I forgot about how easy that was. Did the same when I sold my car a few years back.

Oh that’s great to hear! Going to be selling my Jeep towards the end of the year.

Sneak peek boys (and girls). Fetched this bad boy on Sunday night. As others have noted, so easy to buy and sell vehicles, takes minutes. And the dude I bought it from brought it down to Rotorua from Whangarei for me, too.

It was only in my garage for one night then off to Tony Rees Motorcycles to have the road kit fitted and WOF. As I'm moving house, didn't want the distraction of a gnarly 450 this week. Hopefully I'll be done Friday and so will the bike...yeehaa, gonna be a mean weekend.

post-1046-0-95257500-1596489462_thumb.jpg

Sneak peek boys (and girls). Fetched this bad boy on Sunday night. As others have noted, so easy to buy and sell vehicles, takes minutes. And the dude I bought it from brought it down to Rotorua from Whangarei for me, too.

It was only in my garage for one night then off to Tony Rees Motorcycles to have the road kit fitted and WOF. As I'm moving house, didn't want the distraction of a gnarly 450 this week. Hopefully I'll be done Friday and so will the bike...yeehaa, gonna be a mean weekend.

Very nice indeed! Congrats!

I think I'm heading down to Rotorua with some friends for the marathon in September (weekend of the 26th I think). They are running, I definitively am not. However, it may be a sneaky opportunity for me to ride the bike down and hit up some trails in the BOP. So I'll keep you posted.

Very nice indeed! Congrats!

I think I'm heading down to Rotorua with some friends for the marathon in September (weekend of the 26th I think). They are running, I definitively am not. However, it may be a sneaky opportunity for me to ride the bike down and hit up some trails in the BOP. So I'll keep you posted.

Thanks Patches!

And PLEASE come ride down here, it's too good not to share! You won't regret it. If the weather's been dry for a bit, we can have a crack in Manawahe, too, which is quite technical. Last time I went on my own and realised I need a couple things before I go again:

* Recovery straps and a grab handle on my seat

* Basic tool kit

* Water

* A riding buddy.

There were a few occasions where I got stuck, including one where my WR250 was upside down in a narrow donga/deep rut on a slope, and another where it was nose-in on a sharp downhill into a stream. Both required some ingenuity for recovery! Would have been way easier with at least two of the above listed items (the water and the tool kit, OBVS).

You can look on Gmaps at Manawahe, alongside Lake Rotoma. Then also check out Coastlands to Thornton and on to Pikowai if you want to see what else we regularly ride...

BTW, and this is how bicycle shops should work too. I dropped the 250 off at Tony Rees on Saturday, with only the mechanic in the store. Monday morning 9am I had the 450 in. Tony was there and already knew my other bike was in, and exactly what work it needs (new rear fender...wheelie practice is hell on your fender  :w00t: ) and valve adjustment).

That's a sign of a tightly run ship...