New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I'm working on.

Photos all mixed up, not going to try fix order on my phone...52006a5fae9797f11d25e8073ef34ccc.jpg2e52f86555f675e96ba0eaa34b41c603.jpgdb28b8222e15f5a1d96dc4fbb70f8082.jpg758abfd410af949ba1a40e4e8894775f.jpg400662375bec3127dea82eb052b99e8d.jpg698b1343e484f4b404611af6b487977d.jpg

Have you sailed one?no chine, goes against a lot of normal stability fundamentals i have known. Assume you're not sailing on open water with it?

I am back from my look see decide on CHC.

Here are my thoughts...

Cons:

1. Schools

2. It looks basic and not very visually appealing (I mean the central city)

3. A lot of construction going on and a lot of stuff not operational

Pros:

1. Its cheap to buy houses. Like really cheap

2. It has access to amazing places for touring/adventure

3. Traffic is a lot more palatable than AKL

In summary, I don't think we will move. The biggest issue for us is the kids schooling. It seems pretty difficult to find a clear and good decile 9 or 10 path for both primary and high school in the neighbourhoods that we like. I feel that moving there would be more trouble than its worth. If the kids where out the house then totally different story.

Neighbourhoods I really liked were, Redcliffs, Wigram and some parts of Hellswell. 

I even found a gorgeous house for $60 more a week than my AKL house in Patches old neighbourhood of Bengal Drive, but again the schools are an issue.

I don't want my kids going to a single sex or religious based school and that limits my choices somewhat.

Also, given the uncertainty in the property market (there is going to be a fallout soon post covid) I question whether buying is a good move right now. 

AKOROA is stunning and well worth the trip.

I am back from my look see decide on CHC.

Here are my thoughts...

Cons:

1. Schools

2. It looks basic and not very visually appealing (I mean the central city)

3. A lot of construction going on and a lot of stuff not operational

Pros:

1. Its cheap to buy houses. Like really cheap

2. It has access to amazing places for touring/adventure

3. Traffic is a lot more palatable than AKL

In summary, I don't think we will move. The biggest issue for us is the kids schooling. It seems pretty difficult to find a clear and good decile 9 or 10 path for both primary and high school in the neighbourhoods that we like. I feel that moving there would be more trouble than its worth. If the kids where out the house then totally different story.

Neighbourhoods I really liked were, Redcliffs, Wigram and some parts of Hellswell. 

I even found a gorgeous house for $60 more a week than my AKL house in Patches old neighbourhood of Bengal Drive, but again the schools are an issue.

I don't want my kids going to a single sex or religious based school and that limits my choices somewhat.

Also, given the uncertainty in the property market (there is going to be a fallout soon post covid) I question whether buying is a good move right now. 

AKOROA is stunning and well worth the trip.

Some good points.

The Schools that are considered up there are the segregated type (Chc Boys & Chc Girls). I think my old landlord's kids went to Cashmere Primary (Decile 10). They seemed pretty happy. Not sure what the plan for high-school was. Perhaps Cashmere High (Decile 9)?!

As for the city, yeah it's a lot quieter than Auckland. Although there has been some serious revamp and upgrade around Oxford Terrace and the Hoyt's EntX complex.

Did you go to the botanical gardens in Hagley Park? It's really beautiful around there.

As for Akaroa, good call! The whole of the Banks peninsula is awesome, and if I moved back to Chc I'd seriously consider somewhere like Governor's Bay. The colour of the water in Akaroa harbour is something else. If you get the chance to return in the summer months, I can recommend the kayak tours to go see the Hector's dolphins.

...Cashmere Primary (Decile 10). They seemed pretty happy. Not sure what the plan for high-school was. Perhaps Cashmere High (Decile 9)?!

Sometimes I wonder about us being so decile rating bef*k.   

When we first arrived here, we visited a Kiwi mate of mine that I worked with in London a good long time ago.  Asked her where she sent her kids (this is Northcote, so not a shabby area) and she told me, can't remember which school, and she made a comment about it not being top decile, but that she didn't consider that a problem, or any risk to their education, and had obviously made a choice not based on decile ratings.

I haven't resolved this in my own head, so make no suggestion, just the observation.

Edit: I have a feeling that the range of quality of education is so varied in SA that we have a real need to get our kids into a 'good' school. 

In NZ, in a given area that we'd like to live in, I suspect the education provided by schools is much of a muchness, hence why the Kiwi's are so laid back about it - "don't sweat, send them to a school, any school.  They'll learn to read and write."

Edited by davetapson

When we first arrived here, we visited a Kiwi mate of mine that I worked with in London a good long time ago.  Asked her where she sent her kids (this is Northcote, so not a shabby area) and she told me, can't remember which school, and she made a comment about it not being top decile, but that she didn't consider that a problem, or any risk to their education, and had obviously made a choice not based on decile ratings.

I haven't resolved this in my own head, so make no suggestion, just the observation.

Edit: I have a feeling that the range of quality of education is so varied in SA that we have a real need to get our kids into a 'good' school. 

In NZ, in a given area that we'd like to live in, I suspect the education provided by schools is much of a muchness, hence why the Kiwi's are so laid back about it - "don't sweat, send them to a school, any school.  They'll learn to read and write."

Excellent points.

There is a legacy effect for SAFFAS to want good schools.

I admit I have a huge amount of bias and judgement here (for which I am not proud) but to me a lower decile rating means a "poorer" community and this reflects more on the standard and type of the community rather than the schooling effectiveness. I want my kids to grow up in an area that they have some degree of cultural and economic similarity to those around them. I don't want them to be "wealthy" kids in a poor area or poor kids in a wealthy school. I am trying to find something that matches their socio economic status.

I realise I am part of the problem and not part of the solution and like I said, am not proud of this viewpoint as it smells "elitist" but it is what it is....

When we first arrived here, we visited a Kiwi mate of mine that I worked with in London a good long time ago. Asked her where she sent her kids (this is Northcote, so not a shabby area) and she told me, can't remember which school, and she made a comment about it not being top decile, but that she didn't consider that a problem, or any risk to their education, and had obviously made a choice not based on decile ratings.

In NZ, in a given area that we'd like to live in, I suspect the education provided by schools is much of a muchness, hence why the Kiwi's are so laid back about it - "don't sweat, send them to a school, any school. They'll learn to read and write."

I won't care about the decile of my little ones school, not from a teaching focus at all. Low decile schools have great teachers and they tend to go on more courses keeping up with things more regularly. I'll be more concerned about the influences and examples of the children that's in school with my little one. So bad behaviour from a non respectful way can be at decile 1 and 10 schools (the latter just because they are brats). Typically the middle class are seen as hard workers, but also still with respect because their parents keep them to rules etc.

But then again, you'd find bad and good where ever you go.

I can't speak for anywhere else, but the schools on the north shore are a real mix, I reckon a lot more immigrant than Kiwi kids.

I wouldn't mind moving a bit out of town to get my kids into a more homogenous 'Kiwi' school where there is a real sense of community and every one knows everyone's business.

Not gonna happen tho, and maybe immigrant kids will find more in common with immigrant kids.

I won't care about the decile of my little ones school, not from a teaching focus at all. Low decile schools have great teachers and they tend to go on more courses keeping up with things more regularly. I'll be more concerned about the influences and examples of the children that's in school with my little one. So bad behaviour from a non respectful way can be at decile 1 and 10 schools (the latter just because they are brats). Typically the middle class are seen as hard workers, but also still with respect because their parents keep them to rules etc.

But then again, you'd find bad and good where ever you go.

It's so hard to read schools. One person says one thing of a school, one person another.

Maybe why the decile thing is so appealing - puts a score on something slippery, but maybe not a score that's particularly effective.

At some level the most important thing is 'will my kids find a close friend there' - the rest is pretty inconsequential to their quality of life.

Which ironically leads to bigger schools being better, there being a bigger range of kids to select from.

Edited by davetapson

I can't speak for anywhere else, but the schools on the north shore are a real mix, I reckon a lot more immigrant than Kiwi kids.

I wouldn't mind moving a bit out of town to get my kids into a more homogenous 'Kiwi' school where there is a real sense of community and every one knows everyone's business.

Not gonna happen tho, and maybe immigrant kids will find more in common with immigrant kids.

A few years ago when myself and 2 buddies did an epic dirtbike rally-adventure through Central Otago, we came across a number of "School Bus Stop" road signs, in the middle of some amazing back country.

I remember thinking to myself that those kids, growing up on farms around there, probably have a pretty awesome life. Sure they won't have all the modern conveniences found at Westfield Newmarket or Albany. But they're probably less concerned about having the latest iPhone and more concerned about the outdoor activities they participate in. (a generalisation I know).

Either way, I thought it was cool that even out in the wops, there were schools and transport for the kids.

My take on this is that education is primarily a parent's responsibility and a partnership with teachers. I'm not too worried about fancy schools or decile ratings (that may change as the lads get older) but for now, in primary school, I'm very happy with the local school (Apanui) and don't even know what it's decile is. And my focus for their education is primarily the three Rs (reading, riting and rithmatic), with introductions to history, chemistry, geography and English literature which draw on and enhance the application of those three Rs.

I know a number of young adults who have gone through the local high school and who are from good solid families, and who have grown into responsible, productive members of society holding down great jobs after graduating Uni. That, to me, is a good sign that you don't have to ship Sonny Jim off to boarding school in Palmy or the Naki for him to achieve great outcomes.

But as I say, these are moving targets!

Excellent points.

There is a legacy effect for SAFFAS to want good schools.

I admit I have a huge amount of bias and judgement here (for which I am not proud) but to me a lower decile rating means a "poorer" community and this reflects more on the standard and type of the community rather than the schooling effectiveness. I want my kids to grow up in an area that they have some degree of cultural and economic similarity to those around them. I don't want them to be "wealthy" kids in a poor area or poor kids in a wealthy school. I am trying to find something that matches their socio economic status.

I realise I am part of the problem and not part of the solution and like I said, am not proud of this viewpoint as it smells "elitist" but it is what it is....

There is nothing wrong with wanting the best for your kids, and it is your prerogative to make those decisions as you see fit!