New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In anticipation of the inevitable second wave, I've sold my house and even my boat ( :thumbdown: ) and here we are. There was no way this wasn't going to happen, not with the lax border management for the first 6 or 8 weeks or whatever it was, then suddenly they toiten it up and we have a few cases here and there being intercepted (but nothing got past...uuh)) and then also the workers surrounding incoming folks not using PPE or being tested (Michael Morrah story last week I think).

And now look. Auckland locking down. Quo vadis? We can't hide from a heavy flu forever (check out Queensland's stats, by the way, a little over 1000 infections in a population over 5 mil, and ONE death. I'm no mathematician, but that's not a super deadly disease now is it).

Now the problem I have is what to do with my 10c. Maybe some shares or something, they look likely to take a vicious beating in the coming days, so maybe I can buy in cheap.

Yeah, it's a great idea. I wonder if it's Kiwi or Russian?

So 'Rona, she's back. But 4 cases does not an epidemic make. Who those cases have touched might be another story.

I see men's shed has closed. I've been there twice with timber (I was going to say wood [emoji848]) in hand, to find out closed. This working gets in the way of real life.

Damn! yeah I also got the email from the Shed last night. I know generally they are only open Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. I have taken a day off on a Thursday only to find that out :lol:

Hopefully they open up again soon... or I might have to accidentally buy a table saw  :ph34r: :lol:

In anticipation of the inevitable second wave, I've sold my house and even my boat ( :thumbdown: ) and here we are. There was no way this wasn't going to happen, not with the lax border management for the first 6 or 8 weeks or whatever it was, then suddenly they toiten it up and we have a few cases here and there being intercepted (but nothing got past...uuh)) and then also the workers surrounding incoming folks not using PPE or being tested (Michael Morrah story last week I think).

And now look. Auckland locking down. Quo vadis? We can't hide from a heavy flu forever (check out Queensland's stats, by the way, a little over 1000 infections in a population over 5 mil, and ONE death. I'm no mathematician, but that's not a super deadly disease now is it).

Now the problem I have is what to do with my 10c. Maybe some shares or something, they look likely to take a vicious beating in the coming days, so maybe I can buy in cheap.

Yeah dude, no logic being used these days......

or I might have to accidentally buy a *thicknesser* :ph34r: [emoji38]

Thought I'd help you out there... [emoji6]

Edited by davetapson

Thought I'd help you out there... [emoji6]

Speaking of accidentally buying power tools, I have some for sale, if any of you fine folk are keen.

Special NZ Hubber prices (sell price less TradeMe fees).

• All Brand New in plastic
  • 3yr warranty on all brushless tools
  • Shipping approx $10 (standard) & $15 (rural)

PM me if you're interested.

AEG Tool Pricing_200811.xlsx

Impact wrench and torch please sir. Will collect when you plague infested aucklanders are released from your gilded cages. IE probably never.

Have made payment Patches.

SOLD!

To the man in Whakatane!

Thank you good sir!

I'll set them aside next to your toolbox.

You now have a designated "Click & Collect" spot in my garage :lol:

post-10758-0-11338200-1597288552_thumb.jpg

If you want me to post the torch & wrench, let me know. They should be a little more reasonable than the toolbox courier fees.

Impact wrench and torch please sir. Will collect when you plague infested aucklanders are released from your gilded cages. IE probably never.

Impact wrench is what I'd have gone for, but I only buy Festool *cough*

And Ryobi.  If it's battery powered for me, it needs to match the rest - i.e. the cheap green stuff that isn't so cheap.  The rest being one drill of course...  :ph34r: 

Have we had the impact driver conversation yet?  Why are they better than a drill with a clutch?  Apart from driving 10" screws into railway sleepers, which I don't currently do.

Impact wrench is what I'd have gone for, but I only buy Festool *cough*

And Ryobi.  If it's battery powered for me, it needs to match the rest - i.e. the cheap green stuff that isn't so cheap.  The rest being one drill of course...  :ph34r: 

Have we had the impact driver conversation yet?  Why are they better than a drill with a clutch?  Apart from driving 10" screws into railway sleepers, which I don't currently do.

I can't even afford Festool sandpaper!

But yeah, the battery platform and cost seems to dictate the brand-loyalty. AEG was my first purchase so it set the course for the rest.

Some Ryobi crept in when I got a battery-powered mower. The damn thing is gutless and taught me a less on being a cheapskate. I should have forked out for the 2x18V AEG.

I have Makita tools too, but corded only. At least until this arrives from Aliexpress. If it works properly I may add some Makita battery powered tools to the mix, and run them on AEG batteries.

As for the impact driver vs drill with clutch, I guess there are 3 main advantages. Impact, torque and quick bit changing.

The torque is only really useful for builder, handyman and carpentry work. The impact action helps loosen stubborn fasteners.

For woodwork (which generally requires a finer touch) the drill with clutch will do. 

As for the quick change. One can get bits for that allow that, or get one of those fancy Festool drills where the chuck detaches.

That said, for what I do I use my impact driver the most. I have 2 (a 12V and a 6 mode 18V one). The 12V does most of the work. The 18V only comes out for "railway sleeper" jobs, as you described them.

The 6 mode impacts are cool, but have insane raw power if set into some of the more "industrial" modes.

Either way, having both (or 2 drills I guess) is useful so that one doesn't need to change bits between drilling pilot holes and inserting fasteners.

Note, do NOT use impact drivers for assembling flat-pack chipboard stuff. They will rip the ring right outta it. I learnt that lesson on some shelving  :ph34r:

Edited by patches

SOLD!

To the man in Whakatane!

Thank you good sir!

I'll set them aside next to your toolbox.

You now have a designated "Click & Collect" spot in my garage :lol:

attachicon.gif20200813_151250.jpg

If you want me to post the torch & wrench, let me know. They should be a little more reasonable than the toolbox courier fees.

Naas one china. Right now it's only 'click' though haha. Hope to remove the burden from you 'soon' though...

Ryobi, Milwaukee and AEG are made by the same company, Techtronic Industries, started by a German dude called Horst Pudwill.

Think about that for a minute.

Not content with a silly surname, Horst's parents called him Horst. I'd probably be OK with it, though, what with all those bazillions and all.