New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

Either way, having both (or 2 drills I guess) is useful so that one doesn't need to change bits between drilling pilot holes and inserting fasteners.

Note, do NOT use impact drivers for assembling flat-pack chipboard stuff. They will rip the ring right outta it. I learnt that lesson on some shelving  :ph34r:

Yeah - I (still) have two 12v Bosch drills that I used to use double handed - one with drill, one with with square driver for screws.  Was fantastic - drill/screw/drill/screw, no faff.

Problem is there is only one battery that still works, and that is only kind of, so they're pretty useless.  I mean to re-pack the batteries myself, but it seems to be at the bottom of the pile of jobs to do.

Interestingly, the one Bosch drill will grip really narrow drills (2mm, whatever) which one of the other Bosch drills and the Ryobi won't.  Which is annoying when you want to drill 2mm holes. Not spending the money niggles at you in various ways.

I'm not sure anything I do would require impacting, but one of the boat builders in the States told me that once he picked up an impact driver he never put it down again, so there must be something in it.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I mostly use my 18V drill for mixing mud (drywall compound)  :ph34r:

Edited by patches

I'm going to have to get a Ryobi impact driver... nothing like buying into a line of crap.

Edit: That said, I've done a lot with my Ryobi crap over the years, except drill 2mm holes.

Edited by davetapson

Re impact driver vs drill - once you've used an impact driver you'll know it is WAY better than a drill. No comparison.

Main drawback for me with impact drivers is the noise, they are noisy af. Despite their many advantages especially for stubborn fasteners I've stayed away from them for that reason.

I'm going to have to get a Ryobi impact driver... nothing like buying into a line of crap.

Edit: That said, I've done a lot with my Ryobi crap over the years, except drill 2mm holes.

Damn! I could have done you a package deal on a brand new AEG with 6Ah battery and charger. Unfortunately I have sold the charger, but the driver and battery are still available ;) haha

As for the 2mm drill bits, I wonder if it's a chuck manufacturer issue?! Jacobs vs Rohm vs whatever else?!

EDIT: I was going to proposed a package deal for a driver, battery, and spare barely use charger I have, but the I looked up the Ryobi prices and damn one can get an entry level impact driver from them for a pretty decent price. So unless one needs the heavy hitting power of the AEG Fusion driver, then the Ryobi looks like a good bet. As I said, I use my little 12V more than anything else.

Edited by patches

...Ryobi looks like a good bet. As I said, I use my little 12V more than anything else.

Yeah, for whatever I say, my Ryobi drill is awesome, 2mm holes aside.  I really, really like the clutch as I use pretty light wood/ply, and I can just set the clutch on 1 and drive screws without paying attention...

I figure it wouldn't be the same with an impact driver.  But I'd better get one to make sure...  ;)

Yeah, for whatever I say, my Ryobi drill is awesome, 2mm holes aside. I really, really like the clutch as I use pretty light wood/ply, and I can just set the clutch on 1 and drive screws without paying attention...

I figure it wouldn't be the same with an impact driver. But I'd better get one to make sure... ;)

I lied. It does drill 2mm holes, but not 1mm holes.

Bought click and collect impact driver (and spare battery - good excuse) from Bunnings for the 70 holes I needed to drill/screw to fit the boat decks.

"Pick it up on Monday" they said.

So did it all with the drill... [emoji19]

Pic from 01:10 this morning. Took a little longer than I thought it might.61deb9c7c2775e86132ef240f70bb6ce.jpg

Edit:

Bunnings: "Come and pick it up NOW!!"

So it looks like I can use it to break the screws out of the epoxy joints. Just what I need.

The battery, which I think is the second smallest available, has over twice the capacity of the batteries that came with the drill.

943c7ac8f215f0090465a052822f1e94.jpg

Edited by davetapson

I recall last time we went to level 3 and I did a few Bunnings click-and-collects they were super slow in getting orders ready.

Which Bunnings did you order from? Glenfield? Constellation?

Hopefully now that people haven't been in Level 4 for weeks on end (like last move to L3), the sudden demand on the click-and-collect system isn't overwhelmingly high.

BTW, the boat is looking good and coming along nicely!

Which Bunnings did you order from? Glenfield? Constellation?

I ordered online from Constellation who phoned me to say they don't have stock but Glenfield do, would I like to go there instead.  I said OK, got a mail to say book a pick up time, the first of which was Monday.

Then got a call Sunday saying I must pick up within 24 hrs or they will put my order back on the shelves, so I popped down there.  You park in a slot, phone them with your order number and parking place number and they bring it out.  Pretty efficient really.

I ordered online from Constellation who phoned me to say they don't have stock but Glenfield do, would I like to go there instead.  I said OK, got a mail to say book a pick up time, the first of which was Monday.

Then got a call Sunday saying I must pick up within 24 hrs or they will put my order back on the shelves, so I popped down there.  You park in a slot, phone them with your order number and parking place number and they bring it out.  Pretty efficient really.

Awesome! Glenfield is my local.

Yeah last time they used the drive up system. the backlog seemed to be on the part where they got orders ready. It took them about a week to gather the 5-or-so items in my order.

Luckily this time I only need one.

Project looking great Dave! So you're sold on the impact driver then? Was thinking aboot this on the weekend,I also once wondered what the point of an ID was until I got one. And when you're building a deck or whatever with hundreds of 5mm hex bugle head 100mm coach screws, oh boy do you like that rattle!

Not good, bad, ugly... but just different and a random small thing I noticed.

Bathroom light switches.

In SA they always seemed to be just outside the bathroom. In NZ they are nearly always inside the bathroom.

I forgot about this until 10min ago when some old instinct kicked in and flicked on the hallway light switch, which just happens to be outside the bathroom :lol:

But yeah, wonder if it's a building code thing in SA?!

Small little differences in everyday life. Neither good or bad. Just different.

Edited by patches

Not good, bad, ugly... but just different and a random small thing I noticed.

Bathroom light switches.

In SA they always seemed to be just outside the bathroom. In NZ they are nearly always inside the bathroom.

I forgot about this until 10min ago when some old instinct kicked in and flicked on the hallway light switch, which just happens to be outside the bathroom :lol:

But yeah, wonder if it's a building code thing in SA?!

Small little differences in everyday life. Neither good or bad. Just different.

Ten years in and I still feel the outside of the wall. Right up until I'm back in SA. Then I'm fumbling around on the inside.