Death at the 947 cycle challenge 2015

BenGraham

Was shocked this morning to hear about a death at the 947. I didn't ride as I was shooting the event but I did have a few friends riding. Apparently the cyclist died after finishing so I'm wondering what happened, something to do with the heat and pushing oneself too far? No details are available yet so its pure speculation but its very sad.

http://www.timeslive.co.za/local/2015/11/16/Organiser-confirms-cyclist-death-after-completing-Cycle-Challenge

This kind of incident is almost inevitable when you have so many people doing an event of this nature - especially the less trained and out of shape set.

It's unfortunate indeed.

RIP.  Very sad to die doing something you love.

To put it into perspective, it represents a mortality rate of 0.003% for an endurance event in hot, windy conditions.

It was posted on the I Team 94.7 thread, they think it was a heart attack in the car park

That would sound like the sort of thing that could be the cause.

Very sad to hear. Please remember that we are all built differently and if you're not gunning for the podium then it is a fun run. If you are unable to reach your target time it is not the end of the world. 

R.I.P dear fellow cyclist. 

somethings we will never know. I need to have my cholesterol checked (silent killer) even if you fit.

Freak things do happen, but let's have our regular check ups too.

condolences to friends and family, wishing you all the strength 

Rip Fellow Cyclist.

It is a little concerning, seeing the condition that some people are in, yet they tackle what is a tough challenge.

I was standing at the top of the first drag (before turning right onto Summit), cheering people on, for about 20 minutes. In that gap, I saw 4 really really overweight people. I applaud their courage & determination, but it also concerns me that they are taking on a challenge that is a bit above their physical capabilities. I also saw 3 people walking up that drag.

They might finish, but it will come at a cost.

• 3 weeks later...

Just because you overweight does not necessary mean you unfit. I am carrying extra weight but put in 1000's of km training for the event. I am fit. Low bp. Good sugar and cholesterol ok. I think it is about having a checkup before a bug event

Archived