Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

R 1,000? No no no... 

if you hit 0 goals per MONTH, R 250 in that MONTH

1 goal, R 175

2 = R 100

3 = R 50

all 4 = nothing. 

you will only ever pay a max of R 250 in any given month. R 6,000 over a 24 month period = R 250 per month.. 

Ah, I misread it. I thought its R250 a week.... Ok, sounds better now.. :thumbup:

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're sick or injured that week or for the month, Bye Bye R1000. Nope to Risky...

Is R250 for the month, so even if you sick for a whole month.. max R250, less if you back hitting goals for the other 3 weeks.

Myles beat me to it !!... what he said

Will definitely look at the reward system and the pro's and con's before considering the watch... we have seen with Discovery previously that things change before final launch !!

On another note as we now getting all these free drinks at Kauai that I have never tried... what's everyone's favourite?

Maybe just work down the menu till I find what I like :)

Peanut butter bomb.  Most expensive as well... R40 for a small seems insane if it were not for free.  I saw on mybroadband it is the most unhealthtiest item at Kauai.  Makes no sense that Discovery would condone it. 

big flattie at Vida (large flat white, if anyone is wondering - the okes behind the till loved it when I called it that!)

Are people around the country also seeing Vida Caffe's closing down?  They seem to be going out of business in greater Durban.  Gateway store closed down, the one at SMG Rocks in Umhalnga is now changed to something else and the original one in Umhlanga is no longer there.  They did open a new one at La Lucia mall not long ago but that is the only one around other than the one at the Square and the one in the Shell garage at Pick n Pay Hypermarket DBN North but the free drinks not valid at garages. 

Are people around the country also seeing Vida Caffe's closing down? They seem to be going out of business in greater Durban. Gateway store closed down, the one at SMG Rocks in Umhalnga is now changed to something else and the original one in Umhlanga is no longer there. They did open a new one at La Lucia mall not long ago but that is the only one around other than the one at the Square and the one in the Shell garage at Pick n Pay Hypermarket DBN North but the free drinks not valid at garages.

Saw on their Twitter that one in central Cape Town closed down.

Saw on their Twitter that one in central Cape Town closed down.

There used to be one just off longmarket St, down the road from BMH. accusations of mismanagement etc. And I have to wonder how many of the other closures are the same sort of thing. Owners expecting a one way ticket to dollartown without putting in the hard work, and also expecting an instant paycheque

The sea point one and constantia, century city and quite a few others are PUMPING

Regarding the GOALS. I've already queried with Discovery how they calculate them. Mine for example is sitting at 1200 a week at the moment due to all my training for W2W. My wife who runs once a week and cycles once a weekend has a goal of 150. A parkrun gives you 500 points yet a 10k recorded on your HRM and uploaded gets you a max 200 points. I'm currently putting 10 hours a week on the bike and not hitting my target.

At the moment no big concern as all I'm missing out on is a cup of Java. If I go the Apple Watch route I'll suffer financial loss. That's a different story when I'm clearly putting in some good hours.

Regarding the GOALS. I've already queried with Discovery how they calculate them. Mine for example is sitting at 1200 a week at the moment due to all my training for W2W. My wife who runs once a week and cycles once a weekend has a goal of 150. A parkrun gives you 500 points yet a 10k recorded on your HRM and uploaded gets you a max 200 points. I'm currently putting 10 hours a week on the bike and not hitting my target.

At the moment no big concern as all I'm missing out on is a cup of Java. If I go the Apple Watch route I'll suffer financial loss. That's a different story when I'm clearly putting in some good hours.

I'll say it again. As of next year, points allocations will change to reflect the duration and intensity of the exercise. This year's points structure only allows a max of 200 points if you do a workout that is not on SAActive or park run etc.

I've heard figures of 3000 point for a 2 or 3 hour bike ride at Ave 70% HRR but that's just a rumour at the moment.

You WILL be able to hit it on a weekly basis. Points construct for non gym or so active exercise changes entirely as of next year

Download the pdf Myles posted earlier on thread. In there it explains that next year you do not get a flat rate for a uploaded activity. It works on a sliding scale, so the further you go at a high heart rate the more points you will get per activity.

That being said, the goal could then also move. Last week was 375km on the bike and did not meet goal.

Am also seeing the same and will monitor it for the next couple of months, last week I hit the goal as got lots of points doing a race, this week, looks like might miss by 50 points as my swim training does not get the extra 50 points as no HRM and took a rest day after a triathlon race last Sunday.

Does seem a bit strange that you only get 200 for a more 30min run with HRM, yet can get 500 for just pitching at a Park Run and walking.

Will see what the final system and points allocation is then decide if want to go apple watch route!

Myles, any reason why Discovery are limiting to only apple watch and not also going Samsung Gear or similar for non apple users?

Edit: tried the peanut butter bomb after gym yesterday, was ok !! :)

Edited by shaper

Am also seeing the same and will monitor it for the next couple of months, last week I hit the goal as got lots of points doing a race, this week, looks like might miss by 50 points as my swim training does not get the extra 50 points as no HRM and took a rest day after a triathlon race last Sunday.

Does seem a bit strange that you only get 200 for a more 30min run with HRM, yet can get 500 for just pitching at a Park Run and walking.

Will see what the final system and points allocation is then decide if want to go apple watch route!

Myles, any reason why Discovery are limiting to only apple watch and not also going Samsung Gear or similar for non apple users?

See my earlier post re points. It's just the current points construct in regard to non-tied activities (self-recorded, essentially) which is changing as of next year to place more emphasis on overall activity. 

You did a RACE - tied to SA Active / Vitality Fit & it was a provable, verifiable activity for which Vitality had already allowed points to be allocated. 

Ride, by yourself - this year, they hadn't yet allocated points for HR monitored activities that could have been copied from someone else's GXP file (yes, people do this) There's been a tremendous call for non-gym and non-tied activities to count for more than 200 points. This is it. But only from next year. 

Re apple watch - YES. Partnership. Apple are using the data. Beeeeeeeg money.

(And they're of the opinion that the Apple company offers the best one-stop shop for tech of this type (smart watch with HR) given that if they were to go to Android, who? Samsung, with their hilarious bloatware and an S Gear that doesn't really work that well? Apple have an overwhelming share of the market, and a very simple product offering. The Anrdoid marketplace is bloated and confusing)

That last bit is my thought at least. But they're doing a sole partnership with Apple, and not android. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Download the pdf Myles posted earlier on thread. In there it explains that next year you do not get a flat rate for a uploaded activity. It works on a sliding scale, so the further you go at a high heart rate the more points you will get per activity.

That being said, the goal could then also move. Last week was 375km on the bike and did not meet goal.

dude just claim points for the races you did, thats instantly 3000 points right there. doesnt go to you grand total of vitality points, but gets you the free smoothie though, LOL

See my earlier post re points. It's just the current points construct in regard to non-tied activities (self-recorded, essentially) which is changing as of next year to place more emphasis on overall activity. 

You did a RACE - tied to SA Active / Vitality Fit & it was a provable, verifiable activity for which Vitality had already allowed points to be allocated. 

Ride, by yourself - this year, they hadn't yet allocated points for HR monitored activities that could have been copied from someone else's GXP file (yes, people do this) There's been a tremendous call for non-gym and non-tied activities to count for more than 200 points. This is it. But only from next year. 

Re apple watch - YES. Partnership. Apple are using the data. Beeeeeeeg money.

(And they're of the opinion that the Apple company offers the best one-stop shop for tech of this type (smart watch with HR) given that if they were to go to Android, who? Samsung, with their hilarious bloatware and an S Gear that doesn't really work that well? Apple have an overwhelming share of the market, and a very simple product offering. The Anrdoid marketplace is bloated and confusing)

That last bit is my thought at least. But they're doing a sole partnership with Apple, and not android. 

Cheers, will wait to review the final points system.

Ya I guess it will be all about selling the data and anything they make on the watches is a bonus.

So for those non apple, will be be more as will have to get the phone as well...else sell the watch