Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

I've linked active rewards direct to Garmin connect and points seem to come through no problem, but my wife is linked to Strava - and points seem to come through very sporadically...  Worked initially, then there was nothing for 2 weeks - I delinked and re-linked then all came through - now nothing again for 2 weeks...

Anyone else having this issue?

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After going through all the safety checks and everything related to it. Making sure to fill up at BP as often as I can (not any near me). I do get quite a bit back.  Last month got R160 but because I send it right to my excess funder it gets doubled.  Once thats full divert it back to your pocket.

There are people that get a lot more out, i loose quite a bit for driving at night a lot and driving 2k km a month.  I also havent done the advanced driving course.  So its takes a while to build up to full level but ya you can get quite a bit back.

I've linked active rewards direct to Garmin connect and points seem to come through no problem, but my wife is linked to Strava - and points seem to come through very sporadically...  Worked initially, then there was nothing for 2 weeks - I delinked and re-linked then all came through - now nothing again for 2 weeks...

Are you over the 15 000 activity points per year?  Maybe you only getting bonus points now for vigrous workouts.

No, it's a lot of people having linkage problems. Smart that they launched it now to iron out all the bugs that probably didn't show up in testing... 

Looks like some of the info regarding to next years points and rewards are now available on their website.

Had a look and the one awesome change is that the bonus and normal points for fitness is now one limit of 30000, so much easier to get the full 30k. Also, the fitness assesment at a bio now counts as seperate points!

O yes, on the flight discounts you have to meet at least 4 weekly goals before the 5% discount per goal starts to kick in, although it looks like the 4 will then count already. Just if you meet 3 only you get nothing.

Looks like some of the info regarding to next years points and rewards are now available on their website.

Had a look and the one awesome change is that the bonus and normal points for fitness is now one limit of 30000, so much easier to get the full 30k. Also, the fitness assesment at a bio now counts as seperate points!

yeah, which I covered as well... 

There really is a lot more info on the other Vitality thread. 

Are you over the 15 000 activity points per year?  Maybe you only getting bonus points now for vigrous workouts.

I am over 15000 long ago but still getting all my points on active rewards (linked via Garmin connect) - so that is not the issue.   My wife is well below the 15000 limit, but links via strava and is currently not getting active vitality points....

No, it's a lot of people having linkage problems. Smart that they launched it now to iron out all the bugs that probably didn't show up in testing... 

Yup, its good that they have so many options to link in but this probably adds a bunch of complexity too...

Edited by dracs

I am over 15000 long ago but getting all my points on active rewards (linked via Garmin connect) - so that is not the issue.   My wife is well below the 15000 limit, but links via strava and is currently not getting active vitality points....

yeah, it's an issue that they're aware of. I make them aware of it at least once a week...

Could anyone who uses Discovery Insure for their car insurance comment on the cash back they actually receive?

My understanding is that the level of cash back you receive is relative to how well you drive (as recorded by the tracking device installed). I tried out their iPhone app that records how you drive to get an idea of how I would do. I consider myself to be a decent driver and I am guilty of going over the speed limit from time to time, but it would appear that you have to drive like a granny to stay within their acceptable driving habits they prescribe.

Therefore I don't think many people could be getting much cash back at all. Is my assessment correct? 

I average close to R400 a month back and yes it is pro rata of your driving, even with speeding and harsh breaking at times I still get quite high DQ points which you can either monitor through the app or they send you and email which shows all the info

I average close to R400 a month back and yes it is pro rata of your driving, even with speeding and harsh breaking at times I still get quite high DQ points which you can either monitor through the app or they send you and email which shows all the info

I also tried the app while it was open to non Discovery insure clients and found that on my regular route to work there is a stretch of road the app sees a speed limit of 40kph and it should be 60 - so I got nailed for that.  I also noticed that each time I used an onramp onto a highway the app said I was speeding excessively...  Now I did my licence a long time ago, but seem to recall you are supposed to get up to speed so you can safely merge with traffic already up to speed on the freeway...?  Their maps seem to have the limit at 60 right up to where the onramp joins the freeway.  People who actually drive like this cause chaos on the freeway.

Based on these 2 issues (and if I'm honest, the fact that I sometimes do have a heavy right foot) I decided I would be penalised too much if I joined discovery insure...?

Edited by dracs

I also tried the app while it was open to non Discovery insure clients and found that on my regular route to work there is a stretch of road the app sees a speed limit of 40kph and it should be 60 - so I got nailed for that.  I also noticed that each time I used an onramp onto a highway the app said I was speeding excessively...  Now I did my licence a long time ago, but seem to recall you are supposed to get up to speed so you can safely merge with traffic already up to speed on the freeway...?  Their maps seem to have the limit at 60 right up to where the onramp joins the freeway.  People who actually drive like this cause chaos on the freeway.

Based on these 2 issues (and if I'm honest, the fact that I sometimes do have a heavy right foot) I decided I would be penalised too much if I joined discovery insure...?

So you go with another insurance firm and you get no rewards, at lease with Discovery I get something off my fuel every month and at roughly R400 a month that is nearly R5k a year.

I have not changed my driving style to try and max the payback, I drive as i normally would.

Perhaps compare quotes first and then decide if something back is worth it.  My Discovery insure quote was less than what others offered when I looked to renew my insurance 15 months ago.

And the nice thing about fitting a DQ tracker, I do not have to pay for a separate tracker in my car by another company.

The DQ tracker is also fairly sensitive, I have hit a pothole hard or cornered too sharply at speed and I assume the in built in accelerometer has gone over the limits and within minutes received a phone call asking if all was ok as a warning had come up on the system to being in a potential accident.  That is a nice piece of mind benefit