Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

Resigned from Multiply today as medical aid is moving from Momentum to Discovery as their managers.

Enjoyed the fix 80% gym discount, as well as the free Cyclelab Club membership. Seems like Discovery is big on offering gimmicks, and not real benefits.

Not interested in joining the Discovery running or cycling clubs as they clash with the real clubs, with real benefits, I belong to.

Any reason (monetary benefits) to play my hand in joining Vitality?

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Resigned from Multiply today as medical aid is moving from Momentum to Discovery as their managers.

Enjoyed the fix 80% gym discount, as well as the free Cyclelab Club membership. Seems like Discovery is big on offering gimmicks, and not real benefits.

Not interested in joining the Discovery running or cycling clubs as they clash with the real clubs, with real benefits, I belong to.

Any reason (monetary benefits) to play my hand in joining Vitality?

Read the thread, kaze. All your questions are answered. You could also of course ask your company's broker to explain it all to you. He's supposed to, after all

Read the thread, kaze. All your questions are answered. You could also of course ask your company's broker to explain it all to you. He's supposed to, after all

All I've seem people get excited about are smoothies and fitness gears?

1. Not a smoothie fan, and don't intend becoming one

2. Fitness gears - I have dedicated devices for running AND cycling, both still working perfectly.

We are a gigantic multi-national institution, with forced membership to a closed scheme, so I've never heard of, or seen this mythical creature you are referring to

2. Fitness gears - I have dedicated devices for running AND cycling, both still working perfectly.

We are a gigantic multi-national institution, with forced membership to a closed scheme, so I've never heard of, or seen this mythical creature you are referring to

Does your company get services from Alexander Forbes?

You can also get free vida coffee...

Edited by Tubehunter

Does your company get services from Alexander Forbes?

You can also get free vida coffee...

AF seem to  be taking a bit of strain today. Apparently too many RA's  being cashed in, or moved. He might be one of those.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what does AF have to do with discovery?

Nothing. They're effectively a large scale brokerage that offers pension and med aid management options for big corporates.

Nothing. They're effectively a large scale brokerage that offers pension and med aid management options for big corporates.

cool, thanks

Hey 'Kaze

I'll try to answer as best I can, but I'm rather pressed for time today so it may be a bit short.

Firstly - Vitality's most attractive benefit has been and always will be there if you have a Life policy with Discovery. Through this, you can get up to 60% of your life premiums back every 5 years. This is what Multiply modeled their Multiply benefit on, but flipped it - if you're a private club member, you get an up front discount of 60% to your qualifying premiums. 

Secondly - the ancillary benefits. 

These are things like the Gym benefit, which is changing next year to be a scaled discount based on how many of your "weekly Active Rewards" goals you achieve in a given month, as long as you go more than 36 times in a rolling 12 month period. If you go less than 36 times, your discount is reset to 50% until such time as your rolling visits hit 36 again. If you meet 1 goal per month, you get 75% discount. 2 goals, 80%; 3 goals 90%; 4 goals 100%. This is related to a single gym membership - I still need to confirm how the revised premier membership will work.

Then there's the Health Food benefit, which allows you to get up to 25% off your Healthy Food purchases from PnP or WW, up to a max of R 500 p/m discount for a single member and R 1,000 p/m discount as a family, subject to doing the online assessments and a "health check" - HIV / Cholestorol / glucose / BP readings - at the beginning of each year.

There's also the Healthy Gear benefit, which gets you up to 25% off pretty much all gear at Sportsmans Warehouse OR Totalsports, provided you do a fitness assessment at the beginning of the year. If you don't, you get 10% until you do. 

Then there's the flight savings - up to 35% off all Kulula / BA / Emirates / Qantas flights, upfront, depending on your Vitality Status. You can increase the Kulula local flight discount to 100% depending on how many "Vitality Active Rewards" you hit between the booking date and the time of departure. 5% additional discount for each weekly goal you hit, subject to a minimum of 4 weekly goals (ie you only earn additional discount if you've achieved at least 4 goals between booking and departure) This discount does not apply to airport taxes, unfortunately.

Then there's the Carhire savings (Europcar or Tempest) again up to 35% upfront based on Vitality Status

There's also up to 35%  off hotel bookings (upfront) based on Vitality Status, over 500 hotels through Tsogo Sun, Sun International, Protea Hotels and others. Increased up to 50% off if you book using a Disco credit card.

Then there's the other, lesser benefits such as the Ster Kinekor discounts, discounts on magazine subscriptions, and the Vitality Active Rewards system itself, which is only really coming into its own next year. 

That's it in a nutshell. Maybe not as nic eas the 50% discount on Mango that you get though Momentum, or the up to 40% savings on some very overpriced equipment through the Momentum Shopping portal (yes, their prices are highly inflated) but as a whole, it blows everything else out the water. 

Hey 'Kaze

I'll try to answer as best I can, but I'm rather pressed for time today so it may be a bit short.

Firstly - Vitality's most attractive benefit has been and always will be there if you have a Life policy with Discovery. Through this, you can get up to 60% of your life premiums back every 5 years. This is what Multiply modeled their Multiply benefit on, but flipped it - if you're a private club member, you get an up front discount of 60% to your qualifying premiums. 

Secondly - the ancillary benefits. 

These are things like the Gym benefit, which is changing next year to be a scaled discount based on how many of your "weekly Active Rewards" goals you achieve in a given month, as long as you go more than 36 times in a rolling 12 month period. If you go less than 36 times, your discount is reset to 50% until such time as your rolling visits hit 36 again. If you meet 1 goal per month, you get 75% discount. 2 goals, 80%; 3 goals 90%; 4 goals 100%. This is related to a single gym membership - I still need to confirm how the revised premier membership will work.

Then there's the Health Food benefit, which allows you to get up to 25% off your Healthy Food purchases from PnP or WW, up to a max of R 500 p/m discount for a single member and R 1,000 p/m discount as a family, subject to doing the online assessments and a "health check" - HIV / Cholestorol / glucose / BP readings - at the beginning of each year.

There's also the Healthy Gear benefit, which gets you up to 25% off pretty much all gear at Sportsmans Warehouse OR Totalsports, provided you do a fitness assessment at the beginning of the year. If you don't, you get 10% until you do. 

Then there's the flight savings - up to 35% off all Kulula / BA / Emirates / Qantas flights, upfront, depending on your Vitality Status. You can increase the Kulula local flight discount to 100% depending on how many "Vitality Active Rewards" you hit between the booking date and the time of departure. 5% additional discount for each weekly goal you hit, subject to a minimum of 4 weekly goals (ie you only earn additional discount if you've achieved at least 4 goals between booking and departure) This discount does not apply to airport taxes, unfortunately.

Then there's the Carhire savings (Europcar or Tempest) again up to 35% upfront based on Vitality Status

There's also up to 35%  off hotel bookings (upfront) based on Vitality Status, over 500 hotels through Tsogo Sun, Sun International, Protea Hotels and others. Increased up to 50% off if you book using a Disco credit card.

Then there's the other, lesser benefits such as the Ster Kinekor discounts, discounts on magazine subscriptions, and the Vitality Active Rewards system itself, which is only really coming into its own next year. 

That's it in a nutshell. Maybe not as nic eas the 50% discount on Mango that you get though Momentum, or the up to 40% savings on some very overpriced equipment through the Momentum Shopping portal (yes, their prices are highly inflated) but as a whole, it blows everything else out the water. 

What a legend of a summary.  I think every broker needs to cut and paste.  Just a question though:

Will the gym structure of payments/discounts affect all members or just new members to Vitality?  Older members get 100% off gym now for a single club as long as you go 36 times but I think newer members get up to 80%.

What a legend of a summary.  I think every broker needs to cut and paste.  Just a question though:

Will the gym structure of payments/discounts affect all members or just new members to Vitality?  Older members get 100% off gym now for a single club as long as you go 36 times but I think newer members get up to 80%.

Old (best) structure is unaffected. Just don't lose it! If you go even 35 times in a rolling year, it's gone. Forever. 

A call centre agent at Vitality tried to explain something to me last week - I told him not to bother - I will read Myle's post on The Hub :clap:

Thanks Myles - I hope Discovery pay you commission!!!

Yeah, I get commission from them. Not much, cos I personally don't have many clients with them, but the practice as a whole does. 

But from what I experienced last week on my training course (something I have to go through cos UNISA, the fucktards, won't release a credit certificate so I have to start from the beginning again) this industry needs FAR better trainers. 

FFS. When I'm correcting the "lecturer" and expanding on concepts because she just says "it's like that because that's the way it is" and these are NEW entrants to the brokerage force... 

Jinne. it's no wonder the quality of "advice" is lacking. 

Hi Myles, just to pick your brain, I have a life health plan protector (income protector)... does this qualify for any benefits as have not seen anything on the website?

Edited by shaper

Hi Myles, just to pick your brain, I have a life health plan protector (income protector)... does this qualify for any benefits as have not seen anything on the website?

If you've got an HPPP, it's a premium waiver for your med aid. You get paybacks either every year or 5 years, depending on your claims & vitality status, and whether you have a discovery credit card or not. This would definitely be tied to Vitality.

If you have an income replacement benefit, they are tied to a policy that has an element of Life Cover, and you MAY have the Payback benefit activated. You also might not. It all depends on how the policy is structured and whether it was requested or not, or put in place by your broker...