Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

Slip the Garmin in your speedo and go swimming

Hmmm...it'll rev the hr, but I might get thrown out the gym. With wrecked Garmin

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Garmin 510, and an old Polar. The polar does not pick up heart rate properly in the pool. Can anyone recommend a "Bottom of the line" device, just for swimming use. Obviously a device that Discovery will recognize for heart rate points.

Something that I've heard assuming that your HR strap is waterproof.

Put your 510 in your cap and it will / should pick up your HR data.

As far as I am aware most heart rate sensors are waterproof in that they can be submerged, but due to the water they stop monitoring heart rate. I am led to believe Wahoo's TickrX is just about the only unit that can record heart rate under water due to its being able to record workouts for up to 16hrs with its built in memory so it does not have to try communicate to a watch. But I don't think there is any app where the onboard data gets offloaded that Discovery recognizes at this point.

Thanks, I will explore this

I have a Garmin 510, and an old Polar. The polar does not pick up heart rate properly in the pool. Can anyone recommend a "Bottom of the line" device, just for swimming use. Obviously a device that Discovery will recognize for heart rate points.

You think you will get your %MHR over 80% to get decent points for swimming?  I know my HR never gets even close to that when I swim sets and swim hard... add in the rest periods between sets and your average will likely be well below 80% and probably well below 70% in which case you will only get 100 points for the workout.... the exact same number of points as you will get for swiping your gym card to go use the pool at the gym.

Just wondering whether there is justification in the cash outlay?

There is a garmin swim HRM https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/189307-garmin-swim-hrm-brand-new/ it records HR separately (with its own onboard memory) and then you combine the HR data with the swim data from the Garmin swim watch, or multisport watch 910XT, 920XT or Fenix 3

You think you will get your %MHR over 80% to get decent points for swimming? I know my HR never gets even close to that when I swim sets and swim hard... add in the rest periods between sets and your average will likely be well below 80% and probably well below 70% in which case you will only get 100 points for the workout.... the exact same number of points as you will get for swiping your gym card to go use the pool at the gym.

Just wondering whether there is justification in the cash outlay?

There is a garmin swim HRM https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/189307-garmin-swim-hrm-brand-new/ it records HR separately (with its own onboard memory) and then you combine the HR data with the swim data from the Garmin swim watch, or multisport watch 910XT, 920XT or Fenix 3

Thank you for pointing out the obvious. Your'e quite right ; I will never maintain 80% MHR, and as you point out, I would have banked 100 for the swipe.

Hi all,

So my wife comes to me the other day complaining about her Vitality points...surprise surprise!

She is moaning that when she does a parkrun event she gets 300 points but when she does a 35KM cycle race event she get 100 points. Her question is why do any additional exercise when you can do the minimum (5km walk if you want ) and get more points?

I pointed out to her that if she was using a HR monitor while cycling she would get more points, me and my big mouth has just cost me the purchase of a HR monitor for her now. Sounds like I need to spend money to get a few extra points on Vitality.

Am I the only person in this boat? I've stopped stressing about points and do the events for pure exercise now and at the end of the year will probably cancel Vitality.

regards,

Frustrated husband

But here's the main point: if you spend thousands and then Disco cuts off that upload path, how will you feel? Or if those R000's no longer get you the points you need as their are random alterations of the scale, or because other people are cheating the system.

I would be really peeeed off...

One of the reasons i havent got myself into R10k worth of credit card debit by taking the watch and credit card deal...(it is not just a watch deal)...the money they make from interests and fees is way more than they would make selling an iwatch...and the worse part is getting rid of the balance outstanding on the credit card when the watch deal is up...they will still make tons of cash in years to come...lets not even go into useage [emoji57]

Then i could sign for a gym contract and go join the queues...been there done that...had the vitality gym contract... A couple years back... once again signing contracts...got tired of wasting petrol driving to the gym once or twice a month...i am not prepared to sign anything longer then 3 months...if they had a pay as you gym deal ...i would consider it.

Once again ...it works for some people...take full advantage...but if it doesnt...toss it.

I dont have a problem reaching my targets...i just dont want to be locked into contracts...or have to spend thousands on a device right now...who knows what futures holds for me.

Hi all,

So my wife comes to me the other day complaining about her Vitality points...surprise surprise!

She is moaning that when she does a parkrun event she gets 300 points but when she does a 35KM cycle race event she get 100 points. Her question is why do any additional exercise when you can do the minimum (5km walk if you want ) and get more points?

I pointed out to her that if she was using a HR monitor while cycling she would get more points, me and my big mouth has just cost me the purchase of a HR monitor for her now. Sounds like I need to spend money to get a few extra points on Vitality.

Am I the only person in this boat? I've stopped stressing about points and do the events for pure exercise now and at the end of the year will probably cancel Vitality.

regards,

Frustrated husband

Depends.........are you happy with her shape? 

Yes - let her stick to park run

No - buy the gear and let her exercise more 

Depends.........are you happy with her shape?

Yes - let her stick to park run

No - buy the gear and let her exercise more

Or dont buy the extra gear and just enjoy the exercise [emoji3] strava still works with or with out vitality...it just means you dont pay R269 for R120 worth of coffee [emoji6].

Thank goodness it is the second friday this week [emoji3] [emoji1338][emoji1338][emoji1338][emoji1338][emoji1338][emoji1338][emoji1338][emoji1338]

As far as I am aware most heart rate sensors are waterproof in that they can be submerged, but due to the water they stop monitoring heart rate. I am led to believe Wahoo's TickrX is just about the only unit that can record heart rate under water due to its being able to record workouts for up to 16hrs with its built in memory so it does not have to try communicate to a watch. But I don't think there is any app where the onboard data gets offloaded that Discovery recognizes at this point.

Polar RCX5 transmits HR in water. if swimming outdoors, put the GPS pod in your swimming cap to measure distance, it works.

I would be really peeeed off...

One of the reasons i havent got myself into R10k worth of credit card debit by taking the watch and credit card deal...(it is not just a watch deal)...the money they make from interests and fees is way more than they would make selling an iwatch...and the worse part is getting rid of the balance outstanding on the credit card when the watch deal is up...they will still make tons of cash in years to come...lets not even go into useage [emoji57]

Then i could sign for a gym contract and go join the queues...been there done that...had the vitality gym contract... A couple years back... once again signing contracts...got tired of wasting petrol driving to the gym once or twice a month...i am not prepared to sign anything longer then 3 months...if they had a pay as you gym deal ...i would consider it.

Once again ...it works for some people...take full advantage...but if it doesnt...toss it.

I dont have a problem reaching my targets...i just dont want to be locked into contracts...or have to spend thousands on a device right now...who knows what futures holds for me.

If one already has a credit card with another bank, I would agree (sort of). More debt is dangerous.

The limit is R10K, and the minimum amount available has to be at least R600. It doesn't state one has to use the card and spend R10K. But, by using the card that certain stores attracts further discount.

One cannot blame Discovery for poor management of one's credit card and other financial situations.

Sure, before they simply issue the card, they need to do the responsible thing and do all the credit checks.

I was fortunate that I already had a card with them, since 2002. I also use it as a debit card and will not spend a penny more than I can afford to repay in one month. So for me, no interest payable on the account and I only have to pay the annual card and miles fee. I'm one the few (unquantified) that is smiling all the way to the bank with them... [emoji12]

I have just read through the entire thread.

My conclusion: I am a little nervous about having the watch agreement with them.

I was going to sign up with Planet Fitness just before all of this started. I am now hesitating as I would hate for Vitality to change the reduction in fees policy. It also seems very attractive to sign up with a gym where you can get your gym fees back in cash... just another carrot dangling in front of me.

I have just read through the entire thread.

My conclusion: I am a little nervous about having the watch agreement with them.

I was going to sign up with Planet Fitness just before all of this started. I am now hesitating as I would hate for Vitality to change the reduction in fees policy. It also seems very attractive to sign up with a gym where you can get your gym fees back in cash... just another carrot dangling in front of me.

The gym policy is very straightforward, and has only recently been changed again. Essentially you get 75% off the ticket price for a single gym membership, and depending on your weekly goals, that is increased to 100% as long as you go more than 36 times in a rolling year. 

If it's changed to a different system entirely, they'll do like they did for the original gym membership and keep it running for existing members, but close it for new joiners. 

I was fortunate that I already had a card with them, since 2002. I also use it as a debit card and will not spend a penny more than I can afford to repay in one month. So for me, no interest payable on the account and I only have to pay the annual card and miles fee. I'm one the few (unquantified) that is smiling all the way to the bank with them... [emoji12]

I've been smiling too. I have had the card for just about a year now and until recently I didn't use it much. Now that I see all the benefits, cash back and miles with it I use it for everything and just pay the total monthly.