Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

You've nailed it......some effort needed......albeit a lot more for some.......

I put in loads of effort to get a whole 100 points.  1.6km swim = 100 points, 5km run (in strong wind) = 100 points.   Go to gym and get coffee = 100 points.  Something wrong there.

For my swim this morning my average HR was 88 bpm, max 118 bpm (butterfly), no where near the 80%. 

When it gets to 700 then I am screwed.  I spent at least one day on the weekend surfing, cycling or walking with my son and for those I get 0 points.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's probably been mentioned somewhere... but I can't keep up

My workouts are all coming to the app as not having heart rate data, despite using the watch they supplied (and the horrible app) which measure heart rate. My activity app pics it up, but I'm only getting 100 points for 21km runs and the like. Going to start missing goals soon if I don't get it sorted...

I've checked app links etc, and I'm pretty certain it used to work - am I missing something more obvious?

I put in loads of effort to get a whole 100 points. 1.6km swim = 100 points, 5km run (in strong wind) = 100 points. Go to gym and get coffee = 100 points. Something wrong there.

For my swim this morning my average HR was 88 bpm, max 118 bpm (butterfly), no where near the 80%.

When it gets to 700 then I am screwed. I spent at least one day on the weekend surfing, cycling or walking with my son and for those I get 0 points.

You are absolutely correct. For the average person who isn't a sportsperson, who deosn't have a HR monitor, it's a big issue. And if their are time constraints it is worse. Some people do not get it.

I put in loads of effort to get a whole 100 points.  1.6km swim = 100 points, 5km run (in strong wind) = 100 points.   Go to gym and get coffee = 100 points.  Something wrong there.

When it gets to 700 then I am screwed.  I spent at least one day on the weekend surfing, cycling or walking with my son and for those I get 0 points.

Parkrun = 300 points (no HR data required) and its free 

After reading through this thread daily and browsing the facebook complaints, I can only come to the conclusion that majority are clearly not getting what Discovery are trying to do.

Yes, we all know their heart rate zones are ridiculous but they've made it like that on purpose. They don't want you to do a 5 hour cycle/run or whatever and hit your target in one go. So by them lowering those zones, this is precisely what will happen. They want you to exercise multiple times a week. 

As far as I'm concerned, if you exercise regularly, you will hit your target regardless of what zones your heart rate is. If you only exercise once, you will have problems. Guys that are moaning about the comrades and the iron man only getting them 300 points, does it really make a difference? If you're fit enough to do one of those events, you are definitely fit and exercise all the time. So you will still score your points. Why keep on moaning?

Those first 3 months were just a piss-take. Most people maxed out their fitness points because it was an absolute joke. They were always going to change those targets.

The only thing that I have a major issue with is Strava. For a cyclist, Strava is everything and them removing it was offside. I get the reasons but still. Thankfully there is tapiriik but still its not ideal. I have sympathy for those cheesed off because of Strava but the changing of the fitness points was always gonna happen.

After reading through this thread daily and browsing the facebook complaints, I can only come to the conclusion that majority are clearly not getting what Discovery are trying to do.

Yes, we all know their heart rate zones are ridiculous but they've made it like that on purpose. They don't want you to do a 5 hour cycle/run or whatever and hit your target in one go. So by them lowering those zones, this is precisely what will happen. They want you to exercise multiple times a week. 

As far as I'm concerned, if you exercise regularly, you will hit your target regardless of what zones your heart rate is. If you only exercise once, you will have problems. Guys that are moaning about the comrades and the iron man only getting them 300 points, does it really make a difference? If you're fit enough to do one of those events, you are definitely fit and exercise all the time. So you will still score your points. Why keep on moaning?

Those first 3 months were just a piss-take. Most people maxed out their fitness points because it was an absolute joke. They were always going to change those targets.

The only thing that I have a major issue with is Strava. For a cyclist, Strava is everything and them removing it was offside. I get the reasons but still. Thankfully there is tapiriik but still its not ideal. I have sympathy for those cheesed off because of Strava but the changing of the fitness points was always gonna happen.

All good, but there are a few issues here. Two if which are biggies to most people.

1. To get to your 30k points max should not be an issue.

1.1 Do a few big races/events per year.

1.2 Go to gym, do 10k steps per day, do training at 75% + of Max HR 55 to 60% of the days in a year.

2. To get your smoothie or pay of your I watch etc. This is more of a challenge. I think this is where most are finding the issue. In a very short space of time you will either have to do 10k +  steps per day and eventually you will have to do that and do serious hard training to get the 1200 weekly points they will eventually force you to get. 

Looks like about 50 points per week escalation if you are consistently hitting your targets. I know 1200 points per week was the previous max, not sure if it has come down since then.

Not really an issue for me as I just cycle with my phone or strap it to my dog, shake it for 1.5 hrs and I get the 10k steps then I go and do 2 big short sessions per week and you are done. But this is not really what should be happening. 

Why do you have to make a plan to get the system to work as opposed to just training moderately 4 or 5 times a week.

If one already has a credit card with another bank, I would agree (sort of). More debt is dangerous.

The limit is R10K, and the minimum amount available has to be at least R600. It doesn't state one has to use the card and spend R10K. But, by using the card that certain stores attracts further discount.

One cannot blame Discovery for poor management of one's credit card and other financial situations.

Sure, before they simply issue the card, they need to do the responsible thing and do all the credit checks.

I was fortunate that I already had a card with them, since 2002. I also use it as a debit card and will not spend a penny more than I can afford to repay in one month. So for me, no interest payable on the account and I only have to pay the annual card and miles fee. I'm one the few (unquantified) that is smiling all the way to the bank with them... [emoji12]

i take my hat off to you...you must be one of the very few.

lets have a vote...how many people pay off their entire credit card every month and how many are with 10 % of their limit...how many people have overdraft facilities which they just cant seem to get down to a manageable amount like Gerald where you can just pay it off ever month...be honest...it is not vitality ...no need to cheat ;)

by the way i dont blame discovery for the way people manage their money...we just suckers...or should i not generalize and say i am a sucker...that is why my personal limit is only R500...i was offered R50k for straight and R50k for budget...i had to turn it down...otherwise there would be another bicycle hanging on the wall in my office with a edge 520...power meters and a sweet set of wheels...i love spending money :) 

All this talk about points and hr...just checked my points...only on 400 this week...seems my heart stopped for a while [emoji12] will have to upload my coffee ride this morning...dont want to miss out on my coffee on wednesday [emoji6]

ea469164226bb0a494e14df3d4fe2788.jpg

Thats great, so you get 100 points a day for exercising 7 days a week, how is that going to help you when your goal gets to 1200?

That means you either have to change your workouts to fit in with their required HR for some of them or go and swipe at the gym for 6 of those days too.

I just feel sorry for someone of the people that were making their goals and picked up the watch but now cant reach the goals, mostly due to life and all that.

Thats great, so you get 100 points a day for exercising 7 days a week, how is that going to help you when your goal gets to 1200?

That means you either have to change your workouts to fit in with their required HR for some of them or go and swipe at the gym for 6 of those days too.

I just feel sorry for someone of the people that were making their goals and picked up the watch but now cant reach the goals, mostly due to life and all that.

As opposed to taking 30 min out and doing a relatively lightweight workout 4 times a week, when the goal is 1,200 points? Nah, do me a favour. 

Those with the watch will be able to record the HR for cardio efforts (the optical HR falls short when weights / squash / intense cardio - like bootcamp - is being recorded) so for those who have got the watch and sign in to gym, they'll actually get the points for the workout as opposed to just signing in. Assuming they actually work out, that is... And let's get serious now. How difficult is it actually to hit 80% for 30 mins? I'm NOT talking about those who are under doc's orders to keep it low, now. That's an outlier. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

post-1877-0-44513900-1461961102_thumb.jpeg

My week's 2200 points. Regular workouts, but nothing out of the ordinary.

As @JCZA said, the target is actually easily attainable- all the incessant moaning is a bit over the top.

It's probably been mentioned somewhere... but I can't keep up

My workouts are all coming to the app as not having heart rate data, despite using the watch they supplied (and the horrible app) which measure heart rate. My activity app pics it up, but I'm only getting 100 points for 21km runs and the like. Going to start missing goals soon if I don't get it sorted...

I've checked app links etc, and I'm pretty certain it used to work - am I missing something more obvious?

Login in to discovery and try this link. Most apple watch issues are sorted with this.

https://www.discovery.co.za/discovery_coza/web/linked_content/pdfs/vitality/apple_watch/apple_watch_linking_and_syncing_guide.pdf

Before i stopped uploading all my activities...and i am a 50 year old over weight ballie.

51a1cb1448cc203b050117ee5cb339ee.jpg

There is gona be lots more complaining this morning...points up another 100 [emoji854]

I think this has been answered for you a few times. Someone can hardly claim to be working out if they cannot get their HR above 80% for 30 mins a few times a week. If they have the watch then they should just use it to record 30 mins of activity at 80%. If they can't do that then maybe they should not have bought the watch expecting discovery to pay for it.

I joined the iron man training ride..this was the start...i dont plan on doing iron man...the sessions will get a lot more intense...my point is you should max our by the time you actually do the event

feb20a92c5457e57fb9cc22064d76d3a.jpg

Edited by isetech