Gauteng Road & TT Champs 2016

Ryinc

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And not all Gauteng cyclists are part of Bikehub, so chances to get EVERYONE to boycott is not much.

I was hoping the hub was powerful enough to spread the word.

BTW its not anybody's boycott.   

Hence Twitter.....

#gautengchamps   lets get some activity...... thanks Andre #Flash for the reply

Found a gap to sneak onto the web... (at work)

I’m splitting my reply into a summarised version and a more detailed version, so if the details bore you then you should get the basics in the summarised version:

Who should you speak to?
Your provincial (sorry, regional) committee. Gauteng is divided into 5 regions, N, E, W, S and Central. For Central it would be Shahaad, for East it’s Karen Cox. For the other 3 regions, I don’t know the names. They should be able to tell you about provincial champs, but probably don’t know left from right, inside from outside. It would appear GP Champs is organised by the GP South region, so the contact person here should be able to give all details. Who is that? I have no cooking clue.

Should you boycott?
Yes and No.
  • Yes – only if every person wanting to compete is on the same page, but it needs to be a protest on the start line. Pitch up, spread the word in the start batch and then refuse to race until reasonable demands are presented and agreed to be resolved, in full, by a certain date. 

A protest was made at SA’s in Oudtshoorn in 2009 when the 40-44 group refused to race with Mighty Mouse dropping down from his category to ride for certain team mates. Their start was delayed by a few minutes and eventually MM had to withdraw. The power of the cyclists won that day.

• No – one or two people boycotting is not going to have an effect. Staying away gives the guys competing a chance to win (albeit a shallow victory, but still a victory).

Sadly, the number of people on the BikeHub that might compete is small in relation to the number of people that would start on the day, so while it’s good to air your voice on this forum, it’s to a very small audience. Besides, many of the hubbers are either fun riders, MTB’ers or outside GP.

The long, more descriptive reply…

Who should you speak to?
The problem lies with everyone, as well as the solution. The regions were split based on the SASCOC/Sports Ministries instructions that all sports belong to regional/provincial/national structures. PPA didn’t agree to CSA’s revised constitution and you know what happened there.

That’s CSA’s problem, and they have to enforce it, but they can also do a better job and communicate this to everyone and allow the structure to be setup. 

Gauteng East Cycling was established in April last year (2015), and that is when I found out about the regional splits. For me, the biggest problem with Gauteng East is that you have race officials on the committee, self-appointed, which is fine as I’m sure you wouldn’t get a committee established unless someone runs with it. However, when they threaten to withhold event approval if the club is not affiliated and fees paid, then they are not being fair to the position they hold. First of all, the committee should be elected and made up of positive minded people with the objective of serving the customer (the cyclists), not themselves. Without the cyclists, there is no sport to officiate, organise events for or participate, etc., etc. 
Would I serve? No, I’m already on 2 other committees and members of three other organisation beside my work, private and hub life. But I’m willing to help support in whichever way I can.

As club communications person, I’ve sent a number of emails to GEC to answer how the structure works, without a single reply. Personally, I don’t think they know themselves but so far we haven’t had a single reply. It’s a continuous circle whereby we want to know how the structure will work, but they say we should pay our affiliation fees. We won’t pay our affiliation fees until we know what we’re paying for. They won’t answer our emails, as we haven’t affiliated, and so the circle turns. Last night’s meeting was supposed to be for our race (Carnival City Macsteel National Classic) with the hope that we could get other queries answer while everyone is around the table.

Now back to Gauteng Champs – there are members of my club that want to partake, and they run to me in the hope that I have the answers. What about the other cyclists that either belong or don’t belong to a club? How do they feel about the lack of communication, or do they just accept it as par for the course?

Well to be honest, I think the lack of organisation will lead to a badly attended event in anycase.

What CSA/organisers need to know is that WE KNOW they stuffed up and that its not acceptable.

How we voice that it our own choice, boycott, Twitter, protest at the event... these are all options that we can choose.

Who should you speak to?
Your provincial (sorry, regional) committee. Gauteng is divided into 5 regions, N, E, W, S and Central. For Central it would be Shahaad, for East it’s Karen Cox. For the other 3 regions, I don’t know the names. They should be able to tell you about provincial champs, but probably don’t know left from right, inside from outside. It would appear GP Champs is organised by the GP South region, so the contact person here should be able to give all details. Who is that? I have no cooking clue.

The contact person is Armando Ribeiro.  Was given to me by Shahaad  I've written numerous mails to Mr. Ribeiro with zero response.

I have not been cycling for long but I must say that I have been bitterly disappointed with all the "official" races that I have attended.  This one I said to myself if there was no communication by the end of Nov 2015 I wasn't entering so I won't be on the start line.  I am not on social media but you can add me to the list.

Mr Ribeiro is on FB and created the Gauteng Champs event.  States that more details will become available later.  LATER!!!!!!! Drop him a message...

Mr Ribeiro is on FB and created the Gauteng Champs event. States that more details will become available later. LATER!!!!!!! Drop him a message...

Is he on Twitter?

Don't know Patch.  I'm not.  Perhaps W@nna_-BE can check?

Can't seem to find him, but I am not a Twitter guru

Archived