Handlebar width 29er

JohanC

Hi Hubbers

What is the correct handlebar width I need to ride?

1.68m, 65kg, riding Epic size small. 70mm stem with 670mm bar currently. Riding XC and Marathon.

Some days the bar feels to narrow. Will an extra 30 - 50mm make a noticeable difference in the handling?

Will appreciate your feedback.

Cheers

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

modern trend is 700 to 720mm for hardtail and <100mm travel bikes. +100mm travel it can go up to 780mm depending on preference. A lot depends on riding style ( trails you are riding on ) and the frame's geometry -- short stem + wide bars is the NEW COOL!  

Being cool will not fix your teeth if you crash because you got it wrong . Like most other things on you bike it is a personal thing . If you don't feel comfy with your setup then change it , don't try to look cool  :w00t:

I like my bars as short as possible , most people don't like it .

740 is a good width to start with,at least then if you don't like it ,You can cut it down to suit. Or sell and go wider.

I have 740 on my rigid and 780 on my trial bike. But that's personal preference.

Edited by Pikey

670mm is to small... go 700mm-740mm minimum. You can always cut down if need be.

I'm 1.8m riding a Large frame currently running 720mm. You will feel a huge difference in handling as well as opening up your chest to allow better oxygen flow for better performance.

I was previously running narrow bars like yourself until i got told to change. It will feel really wide at first until you ride a bit.

Edited by GP.C

I was told that the 720 bars on my bike is going to be too wide for the S2C...

who said so and why...?

wide bars are better in every respect, except if you do most of your riding in woods with lots of trees to clip your bars against.  If I recall, there's about a total of 500m of riding in the trees on day one before the floating bridge where wide bars can slow you down by 2%...

I'm on 800mm and won't even cut it down to 760, not even for a free S2C entry ;)

On my hardtail fuji fuji i ran 50mm stem with 720bars (Was 670)

On my anthem i run 780mm and 60mm stem. 

The wider bars offer so much more leverage, i have not had an issue with width through tight sections and, slow down slightly and aim properly. 

Jip. I'm 1.82 and have 740mm/80mm combo on my Tallboy. Thinking of dropping to 60 or 70mm stem.

On my Medium hardtail I'm running an 80mm stem and 780 riser from Kiwi. Its pretty much spot on for me. Haven't hit a tree yet. The worst thing is I can't ride straight out my front door.

I feel I have more control with wider bars , I run 760mm and very comfortable with them , but that is My Personal preference .

I went from a 700mm to a 740mm and it made a world of difference. Handling is way better and my hand don't get sore anymore. 

On my Medium hardtail I'm running an 80mm stem and 780 riser from Kiwi. Its pretty much spot on for me. Haven't hit a tree yet. The worst thing is I can't ride straight out my front door.

Quality and value for money from Rapide'

1.83cm , 720mm bar on 70mm stem, 29er.

Not the widest shoulders, fits me well. would maybe like a 740mm if I was really particular, but 720mm is fine for now.

• 3 years later...

Hi

Reviving an old thread.

I'm 1.77m and ride a 29er hardtail with 100mm travel.

Currently have 680mm bars with a 100mm stem.

I'm looking to get wider bars but need some help.

Do I go 720/740 and keep the same stem or try 780 with a 50mm stem or will the 780 bars be too wide?

I feel like the shorter stem might make me too upright on the bike and that is why i was thinking 720/740 with the current stem.

Any advice?