[Event] 24Hours Of Oak Valley MTB Relay

Dirtopia MTB Events

Jislaaikit but those school kids can ride. Fastest laps all by someone who is now getting into a uniform. And dankie oom, thanks sir each time they flew past is a credit to Paul Roos /Parel Vallei

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a blast! Saturday was excessively hot, so after my opening lap I sat out until dusk. I managed 4 laps in total and then went home to bed (its awesome living less than 30 minutes away).

Sunday the weather was perfect for riding. I did an early lap and then chilled with friends and family until 11:15 to start my final lap.

Being of a more leisurely inclination this year I found myself being passed often by the race snakes, and initially by the solo crazies who later seemed to be on more or less my pace. The track offered plenty of passing opportunities and I would like to think that I did not hold anyone up.

I saw minimal litter. It was limited to 1 x abandoned tube which I collected on my final lap and a water bottle as you dropped into the single track at the cement section near the top A-frame.

The track held up very well which is a testimony to our late trail builder and wine maker extraordinaire, Vissie (I thought of him often during the weekend).

The orginisation gets slicker every year, and Meurant deserves a huge hats-off for the way he managed to put on the event, amidst the farms in the Simonsberg Convervancy suffering excessive fire damage. He mentioned that he basically lost all the single track he built and that he will have to look at everything with a level head this week for Argus MTB and the Simonsberg Contour.

Its not as simple as to just move everything to trails that are relatively unknown when you have to consider re-supply of water points, extraction routes, etc.

He did mention to a friend that he now has a blank canvas to build once the regrowth starts, so I'll be watching the progress with interest.

Thanks to Meurant, Arina and the team. Once again you have outdone yourselves.

Jislaaikit but those school kids can ride. Fastest laps all by someone who is now getting into a uniform. And dankie oom, thanks sir each time they flew past is a credit to Paul Roos /Parel Vallei

This x*10

Just respect from my side to these riders and backup teams. To ride that lap times and still be friendly/composed every time a kid come past. There is definately hope for the future....

I fell myself a R500k hospital bill on 1 march 2015. I've ridden my bike maybe 5 times since then. I decided 24hours solo entry would be a good way to jump back in with both feet.

We did the race in 2013 as a team and won the team event. At that time I did 11 laps. This time round i did 12 laps solo, but was a hundred times more broken than before. I threw the towel in after 8am on sunday morning and went home.

After not riding a bike for 10months, my body took a complete beating after spending ~133km in the saddle.

Still, it was a total blast and I'll definitely be back next year with a little more training behind me and hopefull get a few more laps in.

It was great seeing some of the old hubbers and friends there (Marius, Dane, Henning, etc). I think my favorite times were the 2am riding and talking **** with other solo riders

Congrats to Dane for another convincing win. You're retiring next year, right?

Was a fun weekend.

I did the Solo Cat.

Managed to do 20 laps...

Next year I will maybe be a little more strategical....

Was a fun weekend.

I did the Solo Cat.

Managed to do 20 laps...

Next year I will maybe be a little more strategical....

Great ride, how did the 80mm hold up?

Hoekom is my tone vandag dood??????

Thx to Dirtopia for a great event. My wheels came of after 7 laps on Saturday, the heat beat me. I drank enough and rested after 3 laps, everything went Ok and then I just lost my drive after cramps started warning me. Had a good sleep and woke up on Sunday feeling fresh.

Only did 12 laps missed my 15 lap goal, but still know I had a proper ride. To the 18 lap plus crowd well done it takes a special drive. I think if you haven't done a lap of Oak valley you will never understand the burn of each climb.

Next year........

Great ride, how did the 80mm hold up?

80mm? That's just excessive!

You don't need more than 60mm

post-275-0-77458300-1453711916_thumb.jpg

Then again - some might argue that suspension in any form is excessive

post-275-0-74797000-1453712117_thumb.jpg

Some pics taken by my wife (non-professional).  First 2 are of my son.  He did 8 laps with an average of 37m per lap. His team did 40 laps.

Archived