MTB's in Road Races - Safety concern?

raptor-22

Ok not sure where to start this topic as I cut and paste it from the Stellenbosc tour Event thread. It could be Safety, it could be event specific but I think it's an interesting subject with potential for a good bit of controversy. I want to gauge what the bikehub thinks of this.

Was chatting to a pal of mine last night. He had a good race (Stellenbosch Tour) but started complaining about the MTB's in the fast bunches. Was saying they tend to make life very difficult due to the very wide handle bars some  of the bikes are using ( I assume he was refering to 29ers since I can't imagine theres too many DH bikes in a road race).

Anyway he was saying on a few occasions he got tagged by mtb bars and very nearly had a few accidents. He's pretty experienced on the bike having been riding for something like 30years.

This got me thinking about my own ride and I recall more than a few near misses with mtb's and their wide bars. Also when they stand up to pedal they tend to slow down a lot more than a road bike. Riders tend to scatter which creates danger when a bunch is on a road without full road closure.

I recall there was a period when MTB's had their own category. Not sure what others experiences are but perhaps this is something that needs to be looked at in terms of safety.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are the fast groups going that fast if there are MTB's in the pack?

there are some animals riding mtb with knobblies out there. it's scary i tell you. these animals can fly :eek:

Let people ride what they want! We don't need that much policing from event organisers or cycling bodies. If however the person in question is riding like a tonsil than tell him\her right there on the ride as it happens. If the person riding the bike is strong enough to be there and holding his own, it is up to the other riders around him to realise they need to leave room for his wider bars and accommodate his rolling speed difference. People need to start communicating when they are on the bike!

Let people ride what they want! We don't need that much policing from event organisers or cycling bodies. If however the person in question is riding like a tonsil than tell him\her right there on the ride as it happens. If the person riding the bike is strong enough to be there and holding his own, it is up to the other riders around him to realise they need to leave room for his wider bars and accommodate his rolling speed difference. People need to start communicating when they are on the bike!

i cudn't agree more TH

I think this is a tough one.

I've not had many pleasant experiences with MTBs in road races. In my experience, they contribute nothing to the riders around them, never take turns on the front, and their width is a concern.

However, I don't see them as a massive danger. I will always take an experienced MTBer over a dangerously inexperienced newbie who's done zero research on bunch riding and is a danger to themselves and everyone else.

we had a dude in the % bunch yesterday on mtb, he did not have a race number on his back so not sure if he was even part of the race but he road really well, I don't have a issue with them or anyone for that matter as long as they ride properly. I lie, those dame Tandems are a pain in the you know what, we had about 3 or 4 of them in our bunch and those things are sooooo in need of servicing, the one was making a MOERSENE noise on the crank, the other one's brakes where f'ing noisy and the other clown kept on dropping his chain....seriously ppl. There is no place of them in a big bunch, leave the mtb'ers alone and get there TANDEM freaks to race on there own. 

The wide bars don't bother me. If the riders have qualified for the bunch based on an MTB performance, then no problem with them being there. I saw at 94.7 a bunch of MTB's going backwards on the first big hill in our batch. This can cause issues in the bunch on the first few hills.

However, if you are still with me after one hour into the race on an MTB, then I will keep my mouth shut.

Been hooked a few times by bar ends in the bunch especially by guys riding wide bars.

Mate of mine had a hard crash when a mtb hooked his bars on a downhill :eek:  :eek:

Maybe you should just up your skill levels a bit so that you can more easily pass those MTB handlebars?

I would say maybe move about 3.7cm more to the right of the MTB you're about to pass.

We can also print you a few stickers with the slogan "Stay an extra 3,7cm wider of the MTB rider."

Been hooked a few times by bar ends in the bunch especially by guys riding wide bars.

Mate of mine had a hard crash when a mtb hooked his bars on a downhill :eek:  :eek:

Also a case of the oke on the MTB knowing how wide his bars are and just what gaps he can get through. Same as on a roadie. 

Depth / width perception and experience in a bunch are all things that add to a good bunch rider. 

720/2 = 360
440/2 220 = 220
360 - 220 =140 mm per side

Just making sure your maths is correct before you print the stickers

fixed typo on units :)

Also a case of the oke on the MTB knowing how wide his bars are and just what gaps he can get through. Same as on a roadie. 

Depth / width perception and experience in a bunch are all things that add to a good bunch rider.

Herein lies a rub. Yesterday I had a mtb squeeze past through a gap that wasn't there.

The roadie on the shoulder became a cyclo crosser quick quick and I ended up riding into oncoming traffic.

Just about got a sorry from the oke

Archived