MTB's in Road Races - Safety concern?

raptor-22

If your road bike is so fast you should be faster than me on my MTB.

If you dont like hanging with MTB's on a road ride... ride away from us but dont dare sit on my wheel.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I feel MTBs have no place in a road race ...or on the road for that matter (in a bunch). Besides the points others have mentioned above, wide bars, speed, etc. I think a far bigger risk is the fact that, I think, MTBers may not call out road hazards that they can just cruise over with their wide tires and suspension but that might be catastrophic if you hit them on 23mm tyres. I also find the sound of knoblies and the constant bobbing of guys us duel sus bike very distracting and annoying. Obviously if you're doing the 94.7 for sh1ts and giggles and starting at 10am with the rest of the fun riders knock yourself out but do you really have to boost your ego by doing it A bunch (even if you are fast enough). Just my 2c.

This post is a couple of days early isn't it.....

'...the constant bobbing of guys on dual sus bikes.."?!

I hope this post was made in jest!

Herein lies a rub. Yesterday I had a mtb squeeze past through a gap that wasn't there.

The roadie on the shoulder became a cyclo crosser quick quick and I ended up riding into oncoming traffic.

Just about got a sorry from the oke

I would've said the following right there, rather than wait for an apology!

"Dude, you're riding like a punk and it's dangerous around you in a tight group with the risks you are taking. Please hold your line and if you're trying to get on the back of a wheel when there's not enough space, ask for it, rather than attempt to make that space by simply pushing in. If you make someone go down, most often they do not go down on their own! If you want to ride in this bunch work with the bunch and not against it!"

feel sorry for okes who need to ride their mountain bikes on roadie races.

Whats exciting about that?

even jeeptrack gets boring..now imagine ride on a highway with a bunch of roadies all dressed up and their socks pulled to just below their knees:-(

Exactly, I agree -some can but most can't!

To be fair, at least in the sharp end of the field most mtb'ers don't last very long, especially if there is a nice big climb early in the race (I always think it is a waste of a good seeding when I see a mtb in one of the front starting chutes). The odd oke that can, fair enough & good on him.

Personally not a big fan of mtb's in fast racing groups, but I don't think there is anything to be done about it except staying out of their way and rejoicing when they inevitably get dropped. (Pity though about the following groups that gets stuck with them)

Exactly, I agree -some can but most can't! To be fair, at least in the sharp end of the field most mtb'ers don't last very long, especially if there is a nice big climb early in the race (I always think it is a waste of a good seeding when I see a mtb in one of the front starting chutes). The odd oke that can, fair enough & good on him. Personally not a big fan of mtb's in fast racing groups, but I don't think there is anything to be done about it except staying out of their way and rejoicing when they inevitably get dropped. (Pity though about the following groups that gets stuck with them)

And I quote:" when they inevitably get dropped."

But somehow...when you get to the next race..... they are back in the bunch..in front of you..

why?

Somehow they magically maintained the same seeding you have..?

AKA.. Paced you back down to size...

So why is it, can you not outpace a MTB'kr? Surely making statements the way you do, you should be at the front of the pack..?

Are you X or Y bunch?

Geeezzzzz. I love stirring this pot.....

????????????????????????

I would've said the following right there, rather than wait for an apology!

"Dude, you're riding like a punk and it's dangerous around you in a tight group with the risks you are taking. Please hold your line and if you're trying to get on the back of a wheel when there's not enough space, ask for it, rather than attempt to make that space by simply pushing in. If you make someone go down, most often they do not go down on their own! If you want to ride in this bunch work with the bunch and not against it!"

Do you also believe you can reason with an axe murderer?

Dialogues are always open but you must remember the standard South African response to dishing out advise at 110%FTP....

"Vok jou!"

I actually get what the "bobbing up and down oke" was on about . Lets call him Bob for now.

Personally I don't hae an issue with choice of weapon for a road ride. and of course there are knobs on all kinds of bikes but lets face it MTB's have more knobs...tsk tsk.

The issue is not one of whether they're fast enough. It's also not a matter of getting dropped by a mtber or not, but it is about whether the bikes have inherently differently characteristics as to make pairing them together a safety concern.

Some good points thus far with very little playing of the man. Is this the hub?

Ok not sure where to start this topic as I cut and paste it from the Stellenbosc tour Event thread. It could be Safety, it could be event specific but I think it's an interesting subject with potential for a good bit of controversy. I want to gauge what the bikehub thinks of this.

Was chatting to a pal of mine last night. He had a good race (Stellenbosch Tour) but started complaining about the MTB's in the fast bunches. Was saying they tend to make life very difficult due to the very wide handle bars some  of the bikes are using ( I assume he was refering to 29ers since I can't imagine theres too many DH bikes in a road race).

Anyway he was saying on a few occasions he got tagged by mtb bars and very nearly had a few accidents. He's pretty experienced on the bike having been riding for something like 30years.

This got me thinking about my own ride and I recall more than a few near misses with mtb's and their wide bars. Also when they stand up to pedal they tend to slow down a lot more than a road bike. Riders tend to scatter which creates danger when a bunch is on a road without full road closure.

I recall there was a period when MTB's had their own category. Not sure what others experiences are but perhaps this is something that needs to be looked at in terms of safety.

This is a non-issue, surely? Do we really have to debate this?

Do you also believe you can reason with an axe murderer?

Dialogues are always open but you must remember the standard South African response to dishing out advise at 110%FTP....

"Vok jou!"

I actually get what the "bobbing up and down oke" was on about . Lets call him Bob for now.

Personally I don't hae an issue with choice of weapon for a road ride. and of course there are knobs on all kinds of bikes but lets face it MTB's have more knobs...tsk tsk.

The issue is not one of whether they're fast enough. It's also not a matter of getting dropped by a mtber or not, but it is about whether the bikes have inherently differently characteristics as to make pairing them together a safety concern.

Some good points thus far with very little playing of the man. Is this the hub?

Indeed you may get some attitude back when you open your mouth, but more than the content of any message is the way people say it. Some people can offer you the trip of a lifetime but the way they deliver the message, you wouldn't take it gratis and others can tell you so politely to go fork yourself and you'll line up with a smile, simply cos they delivered it so nicely!

Before we ever need to worry about whether someone is riding any type of bike we should address the basics of group riding etiquette! This will make the racing experience safer and far more enjoyable than any other initiative around types of bike et al.

If you had 3 things you could do to change group racing behaviour, what would they be and why?

Are cross bikes allowed in Mtb events?

I can't remember anyone not being allowed in a mtb race due to the size of his wheels or width of his bars..?

As long as the are within UCI RGULATIONS

- same wheel size front and rear

- as for the bars, some guys in the past, even John Tomac tried road bars in an mtb race...

post-3159-0-53437300-1448885801_thumb.jpeg

The answer is simple. If you have managed to get a good seeding and rock up in a racing sitation with your MTB, then just dont be a knobhead, understand that the equipment you have brought is not ideal or the situation and adjust your riding accordingly. In summary just take a bit more care with those broomstick bars.

I can't remember anyone not being allowed in a mtb race due to the size of his wheels or width of his bars..?

As long as the are within UCI RGULATIONS

- same wheel size front and rear

- as for the bars, some guys in the past, even John Tomac tried road bars in an mtb race...

Cool, then I will start riding my cx bike in MTB events, just dont moan if I hold you up in the single track.

Cool, then I will start riding my cx bike in MTB events, just dont moan if I hold you up in the single track.

was watching the 94.7 MTB Cylce challenge on the box the other day. A CX bike is perfect.

Then I only need to take one bike to JHB to ride both MTB and the Road

Indeed you may get some attitude back when you open your mouth, but more than the content of any message is the way people say it. Some people can offer you the trip of a lifetime but the way they deliver the message, you wouldn't take it gratis and others can tell you so politely to go fork yourself and you'll line up with a smile, simply cos they delivered it so nicely!

Before we ever need to worry about whether someone is riding any type of bike we should address the basics of group riding etiquette! This will make the racing experience safer and far more enjoyable than any other initiative around types of bike et al.

If you had 3 things you could do to change group racing behaviour, what would they be and why?

Behaviour is a side issue. A worthwhile issue to debate but really requires a separate topic because it spans all disciples of cycling.

We're dealing with suitability of the bikes eg MTB and Road bike to be thrown into the same mix. Good arguments both ways.

So bear with me on this. I have another example of the DC where I was nearly taken out by a MTB down Tradouw. He thought that Rossi style leaning into the corner knee out and using the whole road while coming from behind me was a clever move. Partly I can understand why he used the whole road because at the speed he was going he would not have made the corner if he didn't. Could he have communicated? Sure But what can  I do about something /someone behind me? It up the rider behind to keep clear.

But when cornering ability on a tar road is so vastly different between the two types of bike, is it a clever idea to allow them to use the same rad at the time in an organised event?

I get you're a MTBer and this feels a little personal maybe. Its not an attack on you or MTBer's ( i ride a MTB too).

Archived