Review: Specialized Ambush helmet

LazyTrailRider

When considering a new helmet, the average trail/enduro rider has become spoilt for choice in recent years. With the increasing popularity of #enduro combined with a marketing push towards trail riding being the preferred style for the average mountain biker, the market for extended-coverage lids has exploded. There have been interesting offerings from TLD, POC, 661, Giro, Bell and IXS to name a few. Specialized's Ambush is late to the party, but is it because it's been practising a few moves?

I had been wearing a Giro Xar for about 2 years so had a good base for comparison before starting my review of the Ambush. The Xar was one of the original trail-biased models on offer and has seen mixed success due to it not offering much in the line of extended coverage, but it's a very comfortable and well-made piece of kit which deserves a thorough look by those who tend more towards the trail than the enduro side of the spectrum.

Styling and first impressions

From the moment it's unboxed, you either love or hate the Ambush. It's a dramatically styled lid which evokes mixed opinions. Out of the available colour choices for the South African market, matte black/grey and gloss white/grey can be described as  "modest", but the hyper (Specialized's luminous green/yellow) and turquoise models most certainly cannot be. I've become a fan of loud colours in recent years, so opted for the very conspicuous turquoise. It's definitely a talking point!

Specialized refers to the vent layout on the Ambush as 4th Dimension, with 20 fairly large vents with deep internal channels doing cooling duty.

post-3655-0-75006700-1449067709_thumb.jpg

Views are striking from all angles, with the rear showcasing vertical vents typical to Specialized.

post-3655-0-85392300-1449067711_thumb.jpg

Safety and build quality

Safety is not something to be taken lightly. Specialized knows this is a key consideration for the trail market and the Ambush is accordingly equipped with an Aramid-reinforced skeleton to keep the shell in one piece in the event of a crash. Construction is multi-density EPS for improved impact absorption ability.

When holding and fiddling with the Ambush it's clear that it's a high-end product. Build quality is top-notch, with the plastic shell covering portions of the EPS exposed to handling and storage, but cut away to save weight in less critical areas. Many helmets have large sections of exposed EPS which easily dent and end up looking natty after a few months.

Extended coverage

When comparing the Ambush and Xar side-by-side, there are two areas where coverage is visibly more pronounced: at the back of the head and over the temples. Even though it offers plenty of additional protection, it's truly lightweight at under 300 grams for a size medium.

One thing to note with the extended portions is that they tend to lightly touch one's ears as the helmet moves around, especially when the padding's settled after an hour or two's riding. It's not uncomfortable, it's just slightly annoying at times and needs to be taken into account if the majority of your riding is in the form of all-day outings. For the additional safety, it's a small compromise.

post-3655-0-09861500-1449067712_thumb.jpg

Fit

Even though its low weight is bound to attract initial attention, its fit is where this helmet really shines. The cage utilises Specialized's new Mindset 360 mechanism, with the adjustment knob integrated into the shell. It's the first helmet I've used which I've been found to be truly easy to adjust with one hand, and that's only where things start…

post-3655-0-21639900-1449067711_thumb.jpg

The Ambush uses a set of superbly comfortable pads combined with additional cage-length adjuster tabs towards the rear of the shell which enable you to dial in the fit to perfection. It's by far the most comfortable of the dozen or so different helmets I've tried over 25 years of cycling. Helmet fit is dependent on head shape, but with the adjuster tabs it seems like it would be possible to get it snug on most melons.

post-3655-0-44747900-1449067711_thumb.jpg

Tri-Fix web splitters position the straps well out of the way of one's ears and are easy to adjust. Unusually for me, the adjustment was perfect for my ears right out of the box.

post-3655-0-74288200-1449067710_thumb.jpg

The visor (which is aggressively shaped to fit the Ambush's character) is adjustable with solid indentations and can easily be clicked up or down while riding. Once set, it's secure and does not move.

A very important consideration for enduro riders is the ability to easily strap a pair of goggles onto their helmet. With the visor flipped high up, it's possible to fit either the strap or actual lens portion of the average pair of goggles underneath it securely. Full #endurostyle points there! The shell, padding and cage is also fairly well out of the way of other eyewear, with the stems on my Oakley Jawbreakers (on their shortest setting) sliding in comfortably underneath.

post-3655-0-21836700-1449067710_thumb.jpg

At the front of the shell, padding is in the form of what Specialized calls a Gutter Action Brow, intended to limit sweat dripping into one's eyes. Practically, I've found that the two large vents right at the front do a great job preventing sweat from forming, but on long slow slogs it inevitably makes its way onto eyewear and into eyes. Practically, I don't think it's possible for any helmet to completely prevent this, so the Ambush doesn't lose any marks in this area.

post-3655-0-64347800-1449067711_thumb.jpg

On the trail and in summary

As soon as the cranks starts spinning and the trail starts flowing, the Ambush is superb. It's markedly cooler than most helmets, with the two front vents doing an amazing job at channelling air into the shell. The fact that it's very light is also immediately evident and I suspect we're going to say many more riders donning the Ambush as their preferred helmet when tackling gnarlier terrain where a little bit of extra peace-of-mind offered by extended coverage becomes a factor. Specialized took a while to get the Ambush to market, but the first time you wear one it becomes clear why this is the case.

Recommended retail for the Ambush is R2599.

Loving mine aswell, got one from the first shipment to reach the country. Choices were only white or black. Damn that blue is hot, so jealous now.

• 6 months later...

How are these helmets holding up? Those who bought them still happy with them?

Mine is still awesome.

Spez make fantastic accessories....never had an issue with anything from them...and very durable. Currently have a TLD A1 but if I was in the market, this will be on my shortlist straight off the bat

• 2 weeks later...

Loving mine as well !! If it's the last helmet I ever own I would be happy, it's that comfy !

Spez make fantastic accessories....never had an issue with anything from them...and very durable. Currently have a TLD A1 but if I was in the market, this will be on my shortlist straight off the bat

Made the mistake of chucking my A1 liner in the tumbledryer...the heat loosened most of the liner seals, so...any idea where one can get a spare? 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived