Kefir

Cois

Oh, and BTW, raw milk is recommended as it has way more natural enzymes etc in it that get destroyed in the pasturising process, so def get raw if you can.

Goats milk is also really good to use, and has a slightly different taste to cows milk

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine is done. Strained and bottled. Tastes way better than shop bought. I pulled it pretty much exactly on 24hrs

Got some fresh farm milk this weekend.  First batch with some fresh farm milk is busy at the moment.

Will give it a test drink after the 2nd stage.

The batch made with Woolworths milk  is better than the store batches.  Think it might be because it is fresh.

Started mine last night, courtesy of G00SE. Thanx mate! Will give feedback when its done

You're welcome dude! how did it turn out?

You're welcome dude! how did it turn out?

Turned out great! Have made a batch every day so far and love the taste. Making smoothies with mixed berries and my wife and 3 year old enjoying it as well.

But hell those buggers multiply quickly!

Thanx again.

For those looking for a outing and getting your hands on some cultivar

Near the N4 if you are heading to Rayton, you will see a pink cow next to the road.

They have Kefir there. Is a nice outing and milk costs about R6-00 per liter of real fresh cow milk.

They also have a few cheeses and other produce (yoghurt, butter and ice cream)

So pop in there. They have a tea garden there as well.

For the kids, see how a lamb looks and some other farm animals (cows, chickens and some hogs)

Think the Kefir culture will be less than R100 for about 1/4 of a cup.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone in Pretoria... I have some kefir. Collection is essential. Don't want to try to ship this now. Collection in Equestria this week, and next week will be near the CSIR.

For those in Cape Town that are keen to try kefir. My wife's deli in Constantia stocks the milk type and water type with some other ingredients added for flavour (eg ginger etc.)

Chardonnay Deli, 87 Constantia main rd. Just before Groot Constantia centre.

Mine is working really well, made a batch before I went away and just put the grains in a small tupperware with some long life covering them in the fridge. Came back made a new batch worked perfectly!

I found that with the heat wave things does not work that well. The milk turns way to fast out of the fridge.

• 2 months later...

Good day everyone. I stumbled upon this forum researching Kefir. My name is Kiren and the last time I rode a bike, I fell off :blink: however I am hoping that someone here will be able to assist me.

I am from Centurion and was wondering where I could get some Kefir grains or Kefir milk in the area.

Thanks in advance for any assistance. It is really appreciated.

BTW does kefir milk taste nice? I like the taste of plain yogurt. Is it similar to that?

Kind regards,

Kiren