Perishing mtb tyre

Joe Low

Am a little bit miffed that a Maxi Crossmark I bought earlier this year is showing signs of perishing with lots of little cracks appearing between the treads. 

What happens when a tubeless tyre goes like this?  Is it likely to disintegrate or just pick up more holes or have bits fall off?  Had it on the road bike and it was a case of it picking up punctures so I got rid of it quickly, not sure how it goes with mtb tyres with slime.

Don't want to go riding and come back on just a rim.

Thanks

Joe I reckon it could crack open quite easily, happened to me once, fortunately off road on a flat piece of trail. I say don't test your dental plan with 3 days left of above threshold on your medical aid. Replace.

You do know that it is a hub rule that you have to post a picture of said tyre when starting a thread like this.

Quite right must have my xmas brain in.

post-1944-0-29048500-1451207902_thumb.jpg

post-1944-0-50182100-1451208021_thumb.jpg

Quite right must have my xmas brain in.

A friend's Crossmark is much more worn than that and has no cracks. What tyre pressure do you ride?

A friend's Crossmark is much more worn than that and has no cracks. What tyre pressure do you ride?

About 2 bar. 

Yeah its not a wear problem its a storage problem - either at my place or at the bike shop pre-sale.  I keep the bike under cover, transluscent plastic sheets, between the house and the garage.

If it is less than 1 year old as you say then I don't think the storage at your home is a big issue.

• 7 months later...

Guys I have the same issue with Maxxis Crossmark and I have checked my friends ones as well - same problem. Can it be a Maxxis issue - maybe? It is cracking next to the nobbies after about 10 - 12 months although a lot of thread left.

Mine does it as well, but I really need some new rubber, but I am too lazy to put on the new set.

I've seen that a lot on crossmarks ( specifically the UST 26" ones) Seen them ridden even with chunks of tread having come off.

It looks bad, but I think you can still get alot of miles out of it.

I had a old second hand Spez tyre and a second hand Crossmark that looked pretty much like that on my singlespeed when I first built it up and I got about 1500km of hard riding out of that set.

Sent from my S40 using Tapatalk

It looks bad, but I think you can still get alot of miles out of it.

I had a old second hand Spez tyre and a second hand Crossmark that looked pretty much like that on my singlespeed when I first built it up and I got about 1500km of hard riding out of that set.

Sent from my S40 using Tapatalk

You are right, it's August - eight months on and they are still going strong.  The LBS came up with the view that the compound does that and it's not really perishing.  Going to read the link someone else posted to see what that says.

Mine on the rear did the exact same thing, 29er running tubeless @ 2 bar. Got a new second hand one from a friend so I rather replaced it. I mostly do gravel roads with some tar to get out of town.

have had this issue before,on other tyre brands,thought maybe it was the bike cleaner I was using,the" degreaser "removing the (oil) in the rubber, thus causing them to "dry out" .had the fork dust seals cracking as well,gone back to using very diluted sunlight to wash bikes,time will tell