fulcrum racing pro 7 wheels

eccc whippet

Rebuilding a wheel each time something comes undone sounds like a lot of work. 

Why not get stronger wheels? This will save you and your LBS a headache! 

A new set of wheels are on the cards, but want to explore maintenance/low cost options first. Will check the eastons out, but must say that the popular advise for bang for the buck wheels are the MAVIX Ksyriums.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to wait and see how J&J respond to this problem (mechanic will only be back next week)...i will make a decision based on their response...so for the next couple weeks my 47k (replacement value) bike is being used as a decoration in my office for all to see.

IF they cant sort out the problem then i will look at a set of american classic wheels...i am told they dont have a weight restriction.

jakkals my max power is only 3579 watt (a print out from selfloops year report)

some other useless info they sent me...

CP5s - 947w

CP1m - 362w

CP5m - 259w

CP20m - 231w

I particularily notice that my wheels come undone when im doing hill sprints, where i tend to stand, which probably puts the most force on the spokes. I weigh 87kgs though, which is within the quoted max rider weight.

IMHO i believe wheels need to be rebuilt to renew the retaining compound on each spoke nipple. An LBS wont do this if a wheel is in for truing.

I have had the wheel stripped and rebuilt...after the 3 rd time the spokes came loose...because i was told it might be the problem.

If you want Bang For Buck!!!

http://www.evobikes.co.za/wheels/wheelsets-road/easton-ea70-road-wheelset.html

Heavy riders welcome  :thumbup:

I would honestly not bother buying 2nd hand wheels with the prices of new ones so affordable on that site, Mavic Aksium Elites with Tires for R3395 is a bargain!

Coming back to the Eastons, hard to believe a 1650g pair of wheels have no rider limit, thats awesome!

I would honestly not bother buying 2nd hand wheels with the prices of new ones so affordable on that site, Mavic Aksium Elites with Tires for R3395 is a bargain!

Coming back to the Eastons, hard to believe a 1650g pair of wheels have no rider limit, thats awesome!

My EA90 RT's weight 1550 g  :thumbup: 

remember, its mass limit per wheel: Fulcrums, all of them IIRC, have a weight limit of 105kg, PER WHEEL. I agree with what someone else said: your mass isn't the issue here. Perhaps a better wheel builder? ( I have racing 3s btw)

What are these wheels actually worth for a set?

Starting to sound like more hassle than they are worth.

There was a point during the Stellenbosch Cycle Tour recently, at exactly the 9km to go marker, where i would have honestly left the wheels on the side of the road in exchange for a new set of anything else ...

My point is that you seemed to have passed the point of irratation, and that what they are worth is not trully a consideration. Buy new ones and flog these for R1500 ...

remember, its mass limit per wheel: Fulcrums, all of them IIRC, have a weight limit of 105kg, PER WHEEL. I agree with what someone else said: your mass isn't the issue here. Perhaps a better wheel builder? ( I have racing 3s btw)

I tend to agree with you. I had racing 5's on my last bike, they were bullet proof (and in those days i was 10kgs heavier). The racing 7's seemed to have been a dud for me (and isetech).

Any suggestion for a good wheel builder in durban?

I think there was a discussion about this not soo long ago. Sorry on my phone now so not easy to search.

The racing 7's at the moment are around the r3k price point new.

post-70852-1452007797,0907.jpg

I just downloaded the merida cf 95-E spec sheet and according to the spec sheet the merida comes out standard with fulcrum racing 5 rim...so i have attached a pic of the wheel...i am sure all you fellas in the know will be able to tell me what it is.

What about putting a drop of Loctite on each nipple next time you have them tensioned. Anybody ever done this? A wheelbuilder I used over 20 yrs ago used to put Contact Adheisive on the nipples after he built or tensioned wheels. Never had any issues. Where is Mr. Borman when you need him?

What about putting a drop of Loctite on each nipple next time you have them tensioned. Anybody ever done this? A wheelbuilder I used over 20 yrs ago used to put Contact Adheisive on the nipples after he built or tensioned wheels. Never had any issues. Where is Mr. Borman when you need him?

Or even a drop of linseed oil. If isetech's LBS has completely rebuilt his wheels they would have used some sort of a retaining compound (or at least should have) and so assume he is still having these issues after the fact

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1452007790.027152.jpg

I just downloaded the merida cf 95-E spec sheet and according to the spec sheet the merida comes out standard with fulcrum racing 5 rim...so i have attached a pic of the wheel...i am sure all you fellas in the know will be able to tell me what it is.

It could be a custom model made for Merida, but from the pictures here:

http://www.fulcrumwheels.com/en/wheels/road-bike-wheels/racing-5-lg

http://www.fulcrumwheels.com/en/wheels/road-bike-wheels/racing-7-lg

it looks like the 5s have straight spoke ends on the hub side (at least on the rear, drive side), whereas the 7s have the traditional hooked ends.

Here's another link that may be useful (although it's from a few years ago):

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12730449