Read any good books this holiday?

Vetseun

I used to read a Stephen King book within 2 - 3 days tops , and I thought I'd read all his works (bar a few of the sci-fi ones) - I recently discovered his book '11/22/63' that I hadn't read - got so excited - but I just can't get into it. King used to be one of my favorite authors :(

I've had it on kindle for over a month now - i'm about 13% into the book - either it's crap or I'm just not into it and other things are more interesting.

Need one of those books that you stay up to read and lose track of time in ...

I think Steven King lost the plot a long time ago, I also used to enjoy his books but I stopped reading them mid 2000, I think the last I read was "Under the Dome" - the TV series was rubbish and the book was worse. 

Sad because he was one of the few non fiction writers I used to enjoy, I recommended it somewhere else in this thread but for a great feel good book and an easy read, go read "The Penguin Diaries" - if you dont enjoy .... you aint got no soul.  :lol:

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a new Wilbur Smith in a book shop last week. He must be about 137 years old by now.

Really? sjoe - i remember going through his books as a kid in the school library  - not sure I'd want to pick up a new one and possibly ruin a very fond memory. 

Really? sjoe - i remember going through his books as a kid in the school library - not sure I'd want to pick up a new one and possibly ruin a very fond memory.

I was totally captivated by his books as a kid. My Mom knew exactly what to get me for Christmas and Birthdays. I exhausted all titles in the public library.

Tried to read one later on in life. I just couldnt get into it. Not at all interested in his books anymore.

Edited by Vetseun

I was totally captivated by his books as a kid. My Mom knew exactly what to get me for Christmas and Birthdays. I exhausted all titles in the public library.

Tried to read one later on in life. I just couldnt get into it. Not at all interested in his books anymore.

Yeah I thought as much. Some things are best left as fond memories. 

"The Penguin Diaries" - if you dont enjoy .... you aint got no soul.  :lol:

if I find it, I'll find out if I have a soul and I may or may not revert with the answer  :whistling:

I saw a new Wilbur Smith in a book shop last week. He must be about 137 years old by now.

I met him a few times back when he was only 37 :D ,... a nice guy, he was a very keen scuba diver as I was, and back then there were so few of us it was almost impossible not to meet the same guy every time you went diving.

Of course all thats changed now and there are thousands of divers, but he was always very friendly and chatted to everyone on the boat. I quite liked him, but I was never a fan of his books though.

if I find it, I'll find out if I have a soul and I may or may not revert with the answer  :whistling:

Its on kindle, download it today, I expect an answer.  :D

I think Steven King lost the plot a long time ago, I also used to enjoy his books but I stopped reading them mid 2000, I think the last I read was "Under the Dome" - the TV series was rubbish and the book was worse.

Sad because he was one of the few non fiction writers I used to enjoy, I recommended it somewhere else in this thread but for a great feel good book and an easy read, go read "The Penguin Diaries" - if you dont enjoy .... you aint got no soul. :lol:

Agreed Grumps, I have just read one for the first time in years . Mr Mercedes. Was a real struggle. Took weeks to get through it. I enjoyed the years of IT, Tommyknockers, Cujo etc Edited by Vetseun

Agreed Grumps, I have just read one for the first time in years . Mr Mercedes. Was a real struggle. Took weeks to get through it. I enjoyed the years of IT, Tommyknockers, Cujo etc

So true, his first books were masterful, The Stand, The Shining (one of his best I thought) Cujo, Christeen, The long walk, ...all of them original thinking and horror at its best. Sadly I think he is now the "Mills and Boon" of Horror,.. just churning out pages of mindless boredom. 

Think it's a bit like James Patterson, his first books I really enjoyed but then he started to churn them out and co-write with others and they were not so great.

So true, his first books were masterful, The Stand, The Shining (one of his best I thought) Cujo, Christeen, The long walk, ...all of them original thinking and horror at its best. Sadly I think he is now the "Mills and Boon" of Horror,.. just churning out pages of mindless boredom.

Christine was one of the few films that translated well from the novel to the big screen.