Read any good books this holiday?

Vetseun

Dragon/Butterfly same same :blush:

Hahahaha! I think it was the Butterfly in the title of the book I posted that threw you!

Something else I read recently. Got it at an Exclus1ves sale, I think. Some entertaining snippets about what went into the famous covers...

post-1604-0-65954600-1464943240_thumb.jpg

post-1604-0-44518200-1464943272_thumb.jpg

post-1604-0-99137100-1464943287_thumb.jpg

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And, as I heard on the radio that Ali is in failing health, it's worth publishing the controversial St Sebastian cover...

post-1604-0-61989000-1464943408_thumb.jpg

I'm reading this, about halfway.

Jeez its like watching a car crash happening. Amazing how somebody so talented could have so many psychological problems. He was doomed from the start.

Love the music though, makes you wonder what could've been. Of course massive conspiracies around the "suicide" too......

post-35569-0-97790900-1465305190_thumb.jpg

I'm reading this, about halfway.

Jeez its like watching a car crash happening. Amazing how somebody so talented could have so many psychological problems. He was doomed from the start.

Love the music though, makes you wonder what could've been. Of course massive conspiracies around the "suicide" too......

attachicon.gifCobain.jpg

I'm not one for biographies. . But I believe I would read this.

I'm not one for biographies. . But I believe I would read this.

I prefer my biographies in potted form. There is a series of books of obituaries published by the Daily Telegraph. Lovely books to have and dip in to from time to time.

Easily my top 3 authors , my favourite book is the fantasy The Talisman he wrote with Peter Straub. Interestingly I haven't enjoyed his more recent stuff, but every time I'm at the book shop,looking through his titles, it's a case of I've read it all, but just looking online now there's a few titles from 2015 that I haven't read. Time to do some book shopping, just in time for winter hibernation.

I dont read fiction much anymore, but at a time I really liked Stephan King, I think he lost the plot a bit though in his later books, I never enjoyed them, the Dark tower was really pitiful in my opinion.

For me his best book was "The Stand", followed closely by "Salems Lot". Other very good one's were "The long walk", "The Shining" "The Mist" was a short story but really good as well, actually any of his earlier books were great reading, from the late 80's onward he struggled to keep my attention, I tried a few recent ones but they just didn't do it for me.  

I am busy with Pirate Hunters by Robert Kurson at the moment, its about the discovery of the Pirate Ship "The golden Fleece" for me its thrilling reading because I enjoy books about diving and the underwater habitat, but you dont need an understanding of wreck diving or even the underwater environment to fully appreciate it, its aimed at everybody who has an interest in the history of Pirates and their ships.   

post-16119-0-99915300-1465415431_thumb.jpg

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

I dont read fiction much anymore, but at a time I really liked Stephan King, I think he lost the plot a bit though in his later books, I never enjoyed them, the Dark tower was really pitiful in my opinion.

For me his best book was "The Stand", followed closely by "Salems Lot". Other very good one's were "The long walk", "The Shining" "The Mist" was a short story but really good as well, actually any of his earlier books were great reading, from the late 80's onward he struggled to keep my attention, I tried a few recent ones but they just didn't do it for me.

True. I'm not that into my horrors anymore. I enjoy Robert Rankin, and these days I pick up random books from never heard of authors - but I'm trying to make my way through THE list of OMG you heathen, how could you not have read... " list.

Winter is my hibernation, catch up on reading time, so now if I could just stop working such crazy hours, I could get some reading done.

I recently found @pumporacle on Twitter- there's a BP petrol station with a chalk board at the entrance, and they're on the busy Jan Smuts Ave - and they have a new message on there every couple of days, this is apt for this thread ;)

post-44041-0-76017300-1465587523_thumb.jpeg

True. I'm not that into my horrors anymore. I enjoy Robert Rankin, and these days I pick up random books from never heard of authors - but I'm trying to make my way through THE list of OMG you heathen, how could you not have read... " list.

Winter is my hibernation, catch up on reading time, so now if I could just stop working such crazy hours, I could get some reading done.

Indeed, me neither, and I include horror movies or TV shows in that as well.

I haven't read Robert Rankin but I quite enjoy British Humour so I may look into that, makes me think of that crazy book "Three men in a boat" by the British comic author Jerome K. Jerome, its a humorous travel novel written, I think in the early 19th century, but its laugh out loud hilarious, I think I must have read it three or four times now over the years and it always makes me chuckle.

Another author who started out writing really funny travel books in the modern era is Bill Bryson, his "Notes from a Small Island" (UK) was a lark, as was his "Travels in a big country" (USA) but then he also lost the plot in my opinion and his recent books have left me under impressed, I seldom dont finish a book, but his recent "The life of the Thunderbolt kid" was one of the few I didn't finish. 

Another author who started out writing really funny travel books in the modern era is Bill Bryson, his "Notes from a Small Island" (UK) was a lark, as was his "Travels in a big country" (USA) but then he also lost the plot in my opinion and his recent books have left me under impressed, I seldom dont finish a book, but his recent "The life of the Thunderbolt kid" was one of the few I didn't finish. 

Have you read A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson? I thought it was excellent.

Have you read A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson? I thought it was excellent.

I have read a lot of the Bryson books, really enjoyed a walk in the woods.

Yes, Indeed I have, I enjoyed it but I enjoyed his early travel books more, as Steven mentioned Walk in the woods was also good, his "short history" got a bit boring for me eventually, but it was still a nice read....I give it 70%.  :D

Yes, Indeed I have, I enjoyed it but I enjoyed his early travel books more, as Steven mentioned Walk in the woods was also good, his "short history" got a bit boring for me eventually, but it was still a nice read....I give it 70%.  :D

Don't watch the movie though!!!

Robert Redford and Nick Nolte in it, its pretty boring, well IMO.