Suspension Bearings

AlanD

I dont think so as i also sprayed some lube there.

Might need to take the bb out and check. The squeek happens when i push down on the saddle, compressing the shock.

Could the shock itself make any squeeks or creeks?

This has only started happening since i have been riding the bike slighly harder and trying out some jumps on the trails.

When last did you have your shock serviced? It could be that the bushing and/or reducers are worn out. Spray some lube on the two shock eyelets and see it that helps.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chances are good that it is a bearing/bushing. Best way to know is to disassemble the pivots and feel how the bearings rotate, you will need a torque wrench to assemble them again, not a good idea to over tighten. These bearings tend to go quickly because they never get a full rotation.

Hi All,

I have developed a squeaking sound that i thought was a loose bolt by one of the pivots but its not that.

I think i have pin pointed it to be one of the rear pivots and think it might be a bearing which got me thinking about the service/replacement of all the pivot bearings.

They were done about a year ago (all replaced), so how often should they be replaced or serviced? Can they be serviced?

What tools will i need to remove and replace them and where is the best place to get new bearings?

Is there a special type of grease needed? My bike is aluminium.

Thanks

I'll only answer this one question, because there is only one answer to this question ... http://www.rushsports.co.za/collections/bearing-tools 

If I (or is it more correct to say "my bikes") had more bearing issues I would invest in some of those for sure!

Copperslip? Where can i buy it?

Rear shock serviced about a year ago.

Will check each bearing as advised and see how they roll. Will start by the shock.

Ok so i know i will be lambasted for this but i dont have a torque wrench????...i must get one

Just go and buy a new bike. :clap:

That would certainly solve my squeek problem but incure far greater financial problems...hahaha....if only????

FINALLY can give feedback on this issue.

Took the bolt out the shock at the top by the adjuster and moved it off the frame to try see if it is the shock.

Pushed the rear triangle up and down and could distinctly hear the squeak, seemed it was a pivot BUT...i tracked the bastard down to being....what for it....the rear brake cable rubbing on the cable tie that ties it to the frame..

Bloody hell, how frustrating and an unusual culprit.

Thanks all for the advice

the rear brake cable rubbing on the cable tie that ties it to the frame

Very interesting. What frame is it?

Very interesting. What frame is it?

Ja, almost cried when i realised it was that. Was about to strip the bike down this weekend....lol

Its a Merida Am 26er

Aaaah .... this might be the solution to a little squeak on my bike that recently outlived a strip and regrease of all the pivot points....

Aaaah .... this might be the solution to a little squeak on my bike that recently outlived a strip and regrease of all the pivot points....

Its really a process of elimination but can be frustrating.

From this i have learnt it can easily be something small and absolutly nothing should be overlooked.

I feel so relieved, like a weight has been lifted from my life as i like a stealthy bike..lol

Guess I will be loosening all my cable's today and seeing if it resolves my squeaky bike

Got a massive creak on my brand new Spark 910, Surely a new bike shouldn't creak and crack?

HELP!

Any idea from which general are it is coming from?

Got a massive creak on my brand new Spark 910, Surely a new bike shouldn't creak and crack?

HELP!

As far as I can remember those bikes had the seat post creaking sounds problems..

Archived