Cycling for weight loss

Muzee

How much skipping do you do?

About 3 times a week. But I'm still poor at it. 

I guess it is like cycling only I don't know what the equivalent of t.i.t.s would be for skipping. 

I am finding it hard to juggle cross fit with cycling. My legs are moaning a lot lately. 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Evox 100% Whey? is this ok

check the labels, and find the one with the least sugar and carbs. I am vegetarian so lack protein in my diet so spend a bit more on whey. I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard whey.

Dymatize, BSN and Muscletech are other good brands.

About 3 times a week. But I'm still poor at it.

I guess it is like cycling only I don't know what the equivalent of t.i.t.s would be for skipping.

I am finding it hard to juggle cross fit with cycling. My legs are moaning a lot lately.

For how long at a time? What I am trying to understand the amount of energy that you are expending.

after my morning ride and adding everything I will eat for today, MFP balance is 1612 calories... and the amazing part, yeah right... Don't think it will be healthy or possible to lose 13kg in 5 weeks

post-67394-0-74157100-1452085340_thumb.png

For how long at a time? What I am trying to understand the amount of energy that you are expending.

5x100 jumps (with tripping involved as I get tired) at medium pace. 

It is all over very quickly leaving me out of breath and sweating. 

I have also started to run 20 mins on the treadmill twice a week to work muscles I don't use when cycling. The calves take the biggest beating with skipping and running. 

The inspiration is coming from a mate that runs a **** load and has almost no body fat. With cycling I have become lean but just can't shake the belly fat however little it seems. 

Howzit

I am now 10months on a MTB was 108kg now 90kg. I did not go very hard it loosing as I believe it is not good for your body too loose weight fast.

I did change my diet but not heavily and ate a bit less. Cycled hard for someone who is a smoker and very unfit, kept myself well hydrated. Kept a better sleep patern. Working though.

a Question I have : Would post ride protein reduce muscle loss in fasted state?  

Yes, studies show that taking a small amino acid drink or some other source of protein directly after a ride will reduce muscle catabolism. Many people ride with 10g of BCAA in their water bottle.

Doing your morning ride in a fasted state has definitely advantages for fat loss.

It's a pretty simple setup to understand;

You store somewhere between 1000 and 2000KCal worth of glucose in your muscles and liver as glycogen. As you eat this gets topped up first and the rest goes mostly to fat storage. So don't pig out on carbs or even protein if not needed. Instant fat-gain!

If you stop eating and you're in a fasted state ( a few hours after your last meal), your muscles will start using the glycogen stored in the muscle itself while the liver will supply the brain and other requirements around the body. 

When these stored reserves start running low, your body will start utilising fat for energy. In athletes who are 'fat-adapted' (eating LC for a few weeks or months), this source can be quite effective but for the high-carb bunch, not so much. Eventually your glucose levels will drop so low that you 'bonk'. This is your brain shutting down the body so any remaining glucose can be used by the brain itself. At this point you need a gel or some sort of high-sugar food. If you were fat-adapted, you will battle to bonk.

Ok, back to cycling in the morning in a fasted state.

When you wake up in the morning, you've not eaten for quite a few hours, easily 10 or so (good idea to stop those midnight snacks!). Your glucose levels will already be low which prime you for burning fat. As you start cycling you'll likely burn up what's left of the glucoe in your blood and then most of the stored glycogen within the 1st hour and then your body must start burning fat. It's go no choice. This is the desired state.

If you don't pig out the rest of the day and undo your fat-burning effort, cycling in a fasted state for an hour or 3 WILL cut your body fat. but overall your energy balance must be negative as Patch described.

As you do this more and more your body becomes fat adapted and you can easily ride 4-hour+ rides on just water while your body chows your love handles for energy.

If you're interested in measuring how this all work and what works for you personally, get a blood glucose and ketone meter. Measure your BG and Ketones before and after a ride and you'll see how it all comes together.

This morning my fasted BG and ketones were 4.4 and 3.2 (I've been in ketosis for a year or two now) and after a 2-hour ride it was 3.9 and 7.5. The high ketone level will drop quite quickly after the ride.

For those who don't know; high ketones levels (>0.5) basically indicates that a lot of fat burning is taking place. As long as you don't stuff your face with a lot of food including dietary fat (i.e. you must be energy negative), this means it is body fat being burned.

it sounds like we should be getting advise from you...lost more than 30 kg...that is good going...well done.

I was thinking the same! 

Go for it. The answer is in what you eat.

Go for it. The answer is in what you eat.

The answer is ALWAYS what you eat. It really is 90% diet.

A lot of people believe they lost weight from exercising but what really happens is that the exercising makes you more aware of what you eat (no-one is going to stuff up a hard session with a big Mac, chips and Coke).

You thus start eating better, you lose weight and can easily ascribe the weight loss to the workouts.

Diet makes you lose weight, exercise makes you healthy. You definitely need both.

But if you're substantially overweight or obese, first get your diet sorted and drop some weight before you break your body trying to cycle or run.

post-70852-1452102877,0936.jpg

It should be rule that you have to post a pic like the one above to qualify to comment on weight loss and cycling....so lets see them...i will post a pic at the end of january and update my fatty profile pic [emoji6]

[

But if you're substantially overweight or obese, first get your diet sorted and drop some weight before you break your body trying to cycle or run.

I totally disagree with this statement...

Archived