Bike Hub weight loss challenge 2016

Bikehub weight loss competition  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in participating in a weight loss competition

• Yes
    • Perhaps
    • Where's my cake?

Oh, and something funky was going on with MFP... Up until yesterday, my daily goal for losing 1kg was a consumption of 2,070kcal per day. It's now dropped to 1,460. Which, when thinking about it, is about right cos in order to lose 1kg per week you need a weekly deficit of 7,000kcal. Taking a daily "maintenance" figure of approx 2,500kcal into account, 1,460 would result in a weekly deficit of 7,420kcal = 1kg.

Oh well. 

With current exercise, my daily deficit is more along the lines of 2,500 kcal. Which means I SHOULD have lost 2.5kg by the end of the week (sunday)

We'll see. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

got my lazy a$$ back to gym yesterday, did some leg work and then a spin on the IDT at home. Think I am going to work on building some power and let the weight/fat loss take its own journey.

Oh, and something funky was going on with MFP... Up until yesterday, my daily goal for losing 1kg was a consumption of 2,070kcal per day. It's now dropped to 1,460. Which, when thinking about it, is about right cos in order to lose 1kg per week you need a weekly deficit of 7,000kcal. Taking a daily "maintenance" figure of approx 2,500kcal into account, 1,460 would result in a weekly deficit of 7,420kcal = 1kg.

Oh well. 

With current exercise, my daily deficit is more along the lines of 2,500 kcal. Which means I SHOULD have lost 2.5kg by the end of the week (sunday)

We'll see. 

WHAT? Daily deficit of 2500kcals?

Is that eating 1250kcals and burning 3750kcals? Doesn't sound right.

WHAT? Daily deficit of 2500kcals?

Is that eating 1250kcals and burning 3750kcals? Doesn't sound right.

To a degree, yes.

My daily "sedentary" burn is approx 2,500. Add exercise of about 1,200 - 1,400 per day (commuting) and that gets you 3,700 - 3,900kcal "Burnt" for the day.

If I'm eating 1,200 - 1,500 per day, then the deficit is "sedentary burn" + "exercise burn" - "food" = 2,500 + 1,200 - 1,200 = 2,500. 

In essence my exercise "cancels out" my food intake for the day.

6 1/2 hours on the bike so far this week. Arse is not used to it. Eina. Still another 3 1/2 to go. 

By far the most amount of time I've spent in the saddle in a loooong time. 

To a degree, yes.

My daily "sedentary" burn is approx 2,500. Add exercise of about 1,200 - 1,400 per day (commuting) and that gets you 3,700 - 3,900kcal "Burnt" for the day.

If I'm eating 1,200 - 1,500 per day, then the deficit is "sedentary burn" + "exercise burn" - "food" = 2,500 + 1,200 - 1,200 = 2,500. 

Good luck with this. As long as its sustainable for you. It sounds like very little food to me, but I haven't used this approach - ironically as I'm an engineer and this is my 'thing' - so what do I know? BUT 1 kg a week loss, sounds hard core. Don't under-estimate that your basal metabolic rate will be elevated as a residual from exercise, and that you don't want to compromise repair processes, nor your immune system (pretending to be that kind of doctor!). 

Good luck with this. As long as its sustainable for you. It sounds like very little food to me, but I haven't used this approach - ironically as I'm an engineer and this is my 'thing' - so what do I know? BUT 1 kg a week loss, sounds hard core. Don't under-estimate that your basal metabolic rate will be elevated as a residual from exercise, and that you don't want to compromise repair processes, nor your immune system (pretending to be that kind of doctor!). 

thanks, man. I'm not kidding myself - I've set myself the goal of 1kg per week until I breach the 100kg mark, and then going to reduce that to 0.5kg per week as a goal. 

Funny thing is - it's not a little bit of food at all! Superloading on veggies is an easy way to get a lot of food with minimal calories, as long as it's not starchy veg. 

But yeah - I imagine that this coming weekend and early next week will be a bit... slow. :)

Seeing as no one updates the sheet anymore, can we get an indication of where you were vs now?

Partydave Was: 72.9 Now 68.1

Veebee     Was: 96.5 Now 91.9

To a degree, yes.

Myles I'm not a doctor or dietician but I know that when I'm consuming 1500kcals per day without exercise I go to bed feeling hungry and tend to overeat a day or 2 later.

When exercising I can get away with 1200kcals after exercise. Example: Consume 2500kcals and expend 1300kcals = 1200kcals.

You should be losing more than 1kg per week if you have such a massive daily deficit.

Myles I'm not a doctor or dietician but I know that when I'm consuming 1500kcals per day without exercise I go to bed feeling hungry and tend to overeat a day or 2 later.

When exercising I can get away with 1200kcals after exercise. Example: Consume 2500kcals and expend 1300kcals = 1200kcals.

You should be losing more than 1kg per week if you have such a massive daily deficit.

100% with you. Nothing happens quickly, apart from paradoxically weight gain!

yeah, JC. Agreed fully. TBH the reason I'm trying to limit myself to 1,200 or thereabouts is to force myself to get used to what I "should" eat on a daily basis to lose 1kg per week, when I'm not able to exercise every day, and commute to work. This week is the only time I'll be able to commute to work on the bike until the next school holidays, as I take my lightie to school in the mornings. 

So while in this first week I should lose more than 1kg, I don't want to get caught in the trap of getting used to eating more "just because I exercised" cos that's how I got to this point in the first place - rewarding myself with chow. 

So this "reboot" is more an acclimatisation period, with a kick up the arse from the commuting every day. As of next week I'll only be able to do at most 3 or 4 sessions a week. To keep going, I NEED to get into the habit of limiting my intake to that lower level, otherwise I'll just fall into the trap again.

If that makes sense... 

yeah, JC. Agreed fully. TBH the reason I'm trying to limit myself to 1,200 or thereabouts is to force myself to get used to what I "should" eat on a daily basis to lose 1kg per week, when I'm not able to exercise every day, and commute to work. This week is the only time I'll be able to commute to work on the bike until the next school holidays, as I take my lightie to school in the mornings. 

So while in this first week I should lose more than 1kg, I don't want to get caught in the trap of getting used to eating more "just because I exercised" cos that's how I got to this point in the first place - rewarding myself with chow. 

So this "reboot" is more an acclimatisation period, with a kick up the arse from the commuting every day. As of next week I'll only be able to do at most 3 or 4 sessions a week. To keep going, I NEED to get into the habit of limiting my intake to that lower level, otherwise I'll just fall into the trap again.

If that makes sense... 

I'm with you. Its tough I know esp in winter when there is so much comfort food around.

This is the week before the Jock for me so stomach is growling every night, been having a small bowl of soup for dinner but I can tell you when that race is done I'm loading up!!

I'm with you. Its tough I know esp in winter when there is so much comfort food around.

This is the week before the Jock for me so stomach is growling every night, been having a small bowl of soup for dinner but I can tell you when that race is done I'm loading up!!

LOL. I'm also trying to limit myself 'cos I KNOW that come tomorrow night, I'm going for burgers with a good mate of mine. 

And if there's one weakness....... 

LOL. I'm also trying to limit myself 'cos I KNOW that come tomorrow night, I'm going for burgers with a good mate of mine. 

And if there's one weakness....... 

Tell me about it!!! Beers, pizza and burgers :clap:

Archived