Bike Hub weight loss challenge 2016

Bikehub weight loss competition  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in participating in a weight loss competition

• Yes
    • Perhaps
    • Where's my cake?

too much talk about fat turning to muscle...so i am toning down the riding to loose weight.

AFAIK it is not possible for fat to turn into muscle. Fat is a store of energy. To stop adding more of it, you need to consume less KJ than you use. Cutting down cycling is unlikely to help get rid of weight.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

AFAIK it is not possible for fat to turn into muscle. Fat is a store of energy. To stop adding more of it, you need to consume less KJ than you use. Cutting down cycling is unlikely to help get rid of weight.

Fat can be REPLACED by muscle, but not turned into muscle. 

But it's pretty stubborn in my experience ....

Agreed on both counts. That spare tube fat on men is particularly stubborn.

Some studies have indicated that it is also related to high levels of cortisol which is related to high levels of stress in men. Part of the secret of losing it is connected to dealing with stress levels as well as diet and exercise.

Lets understand this...

Muscle is heavier than fat?

Fat cannot be turned into muscle but can be used as a fuel to keep you going?

If you spin ...high cadence with minimal power you should not build muscle but burn off fat...which should help with weight loss...

However if you grind...low cadence high power...you should should get heavier as you build muscle?

So if you eat less and do light high cadence training you should get thin?

If you are heavy fat person like me...rather stick to an indoor trainer...because any slight rise would mean grinding to carry your fat a$$ up the hills...which results in building muscle...you get heavier...or put a13 x 1 mtb gearing on your road bike [emoji12]

Edited by isetech

Some studies have indicated that it is also related to high levels of cortisol which is related to high levels of stress in men. Part of the secret of losing it is connected to dealing with stress levels as well as diet and exercise.

This. Heavy stress... Mehness. 

Lets understand this...

Muscle is heavier than fat?

Fat cannot be turned into muscle but can be used as a fuel to keep you going?

If you spin ...high cadence with minimal power you should not build muscle but burn off fat...which should help with weight loss...

However if you grind...low cadence high power...you should should get heavier as you build muscle?

So if you eat less and do light high cadence training you should get thin?

Not sure that muscle is heavier than fat. There are many who dispute that but I don't know for sure. What I do know is that too much fat is a lot worse for your health than too much muscle!

I think that spinning with high cadence is a good idea, but even the so-called "grinding" within reason builds strength and tones muscle in a different way than spinning with low resistance. IMO a good balance of both is the best all round approach.

Getting thin is one thing but getting fit, strong and LEAN is by far better.

Which is why backing off the intensity of training may actually help in losing fat.

Edit: emphasis

Edited by NordicElf

1.3kg loss and down to 91.6

probably still retaining some water from yesterdays extreme ride. Another 2 to go to get back to where I was 2 months ago then the real challenge starts for me.

I'm having to refocus again, lost my way a little bit, not too bad. I've decided to stop weighing myself and rather to trust the process. I'm going to put all my energy into staying compliant with my diet and sticking to my training program. I know it works. I also think I need to have some kind of morning ritual where I remind myself of my goal. I think I lost track of the importance of the goal and thats where I lost it a bit. 

Not sure that muscle is heavier than fat. There are many who dispute that but I don't know for sure. What I do know is that too much fat is a lot worse for your health than too much muscle!

I think that spinning with high cadence is a good idea, but even the so-called "grinding" within reason builds strength and tones muscle in a different way than spinning with low resistance. IMO a good balance of both is the best all round approach.

Getting thin is one thing but getting fit, strong and LEAN is by far better.

100%! Keep-it-simple!

Lots of confusion about muscle weighing more than fat etc. If you think dropping fat/weight is difficult, try putting on muscle, anywhere in your body, and see what it does to your weight. In my experience v little, so the converse is true. I've tried some concerted weight-training before, and even when you start to see noticeably increases in the amounts of muscle in your upper-body, your total body mass doesn't reflect this, and would probably have dropped anyway as you've been 'moving around a bit more during weight training'! 

Here's more on my related personal experience: I'm by nature a spinner. Lightly muscled, and heavily-built and struggle to develop torque (partially cost I have historical knee-issues). To try and gain some torque, I've just spent 3 months with mid-week focus on low cadence-high torque hill reps (60-65 rpm ascents at 92-100% max HR which leave me shattered). Pretty much high-intensity-intervals, twice a week. For those in JHB, I use the hill up past Sterkfontein hospital (3.2km), and also the hill in the Cradle from the school circle which comes up to meet Beyers Naude at a T-junction (1.2km).

The end result has been my legs (and core) have noticeable toned, perhaps even 'bulked up' (I didn't realise one's VMO went so high up your inner-thigh!), but using an electrical impedance assessment of my body fat mass and, by inference, my muscle mass, my body fat has more or less swapped out for muscle mass gain (+/-2 kg each). There's been a bit of total body mass loss as well to confuse the mass balance, and one has to be cautious of over-interpreting the means of measurement, but my conclusion has been the following:

1. Muscle mass is incredibly difficult to accumulate.

2. Muscle toning is significant long before muscle mass accumulation becomes an issue for most recreational cyclists.

3. Loss of body cms is more significant than kgs of body fat loss (I've dropped from an XL to (almost) a M jersey during the above phase).

4. In my case, my estimated theoretical power has increased by over 10%, as indicated by significantly faster hill reps at the same HR. When you consider muscle mass increase is only approx. 2%, I read this as power increases far more than bulk muscle mass, so a little muscle mass increase brings its own massive dividends in power.

5. Polarised training (lots of long-slow zone 2 rides as well as HIIT sessions) is as good for speed/power improvement, as advocated elsewhere, as it is for fat loss for most of us. "Most of us go too fast, when we should be going slow, and we go too slow when we should be going fast?" 

6. I would not ignore HIIT or tempos, or even gym weight sessions, 5-8 reps of weights, not 20-30 rep sets, as part of a weight loss campaign, as well as TITS! It'll make you a happier cyclist with less risk of getting bored.

7. Don't be tempted to compensate for all this work by shovelling fuel in your gob! As I did y'day.....:-(

5. Polarised training (lots of long-slow zone 2 rides as well as HIIT sessions) is as good for speed/power improvement, as advocated elsewhere, as it is for fat loss for most of us. "Most of us go too fast, when we should be going slow, and we go too slow when we should be going fast?" 

6. I would not ignore HIIT or tempos, or even gym weight sessions, 5-8 reps of weights, not 20-30 rep sets, as part of a weight loss campaign, as well as TITS! It'll make you a happier cyclist with less risk of getting bored.

This is all good. Also, remember to do at least 2 SHIITs per week. (Short High Intensity Interval Training).

Ideally this should be 30 min or less. 5 min warm up, 20 min hard 4min intervals with 1 min recovery in between, one last 3 min with everything you have and 2 min recovery. 

It has been shown that this type of training improves fat burn and also lengthens fat burn period.

I did not believe that until I tried it. I worked out several different sessions that fit into the 5 20-5 minute frame. It not only improved my weight but also over time increased my fitness much more than I thought a 20 - 23 hard session would. Has worked for me for years now.

Edited by BDF

Myles Mayhew - Interested in knowing how you IF is going?

Been sick the past week, and stressed, and the wife has been VERY busy with photography so chances to exercise have been slim. 3 not very good things. 

Starting again from scratch today, now that I'm feeling a tad better.