Armed Cyclist

SilverCracker

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys go and speak to cyclists that have been hijacked.....first thing they all say ""it happened so fast"

How are you going to get your gun out from under your shirt while riding??

How will you drawn it if you laying on your back?

My brother owned a small icecream business. He delivered stock to a supermarket. They paid him R30k cash. He always carried a gun (he is fully conversant with fire arms being an ex PF soldier in Rhodesia). He was robbed as exiting the supermarket. He was stabbed 6 times before he even had time to react. His cell phone fell on the floor in the attack, they grabbed it and ran.

He said all he thought of was his life and blocking the stabs, he didn't even think to draw the gun. Even if he did, they probably would have taken that too before he had time to cock and fire.

As a policeman, I would advise against it. Believe me you do not want to be involved in a shooting incident. It is just not worth the risk. As some posters have duly noted, the risk is much more carrying a firearm while cycling than not. PLUS if you were to loose said firearm while cycling, I can promise you it is not a situation you want to deal with. The Criminal Procedure Act and Firearm Act is written in such a way that YOU will have to please explain if you were ever to use or loose your firearm.

Sometimes I wonder if Wendy and I are doing the right thing in leaving SA, and then I read a thread like this and I stop doubting myself.

Whether a cyclist can or should carry a gun when cycling is not the point that concerns me - that's for each person to decide for themselves. It's the fact that a cyclist feels he or she even "needs to" that starts the alarm bells ringing.

There must be about 10 threads on the same issue and in all of them I've said the same thing.

Carry a knife as you can cable tie it to your stem or clip it to your jersey.

Go and get some train in how to use it and practice often :thumbup:  :thumbup:

You are not allowed to have a firearm on your bicycle...you have carry it on yourself.

Sorry, I meant I'm developing a patent pending holster that fits in your bottle holder specifically for these situations. 

Sorry, I meant I'm developing a patent pending holster that fits in your bottle holder specifically for these situations.

It will be SABS approved?

Be able to lock to the bike??

Be able to get it out when a split second counts?

Will it be firearm specific or universal?

Archived