2016 motivation for getting lighter and faster

just an update...no changes with the weight...same ol same ol fat gut...i have taken a ton of information viewed on youtube and come up with a short list list...of the basics and realized no matter how much time you spend figuring out how to loose weight it is quite simple.

most important tip...

figue out a way to motivate yourself to loose weight...without the motivation and consistency  all the advice i the world is not gona change your eating habit.

however the riding is improving...

i believe i broke myself going from an avg of 60 km a week to 240 km a week... wasnt a wise idea...which was made up of interval training and long rides.

so i took a break after the block for a week...which also proved to be too short...my legs where still taking strain on every ride no matter how fast or slow...so i have been taking it easy and riding very little...just doing the odd circuit and weekend rides with the club.

one of the challenges which made me realize things werent right was climbing armstrong...if i could climb the M19 at 12 km/hr from the bottom to the top i couldnt understand why i couldnt do the same on armstrong...the M19 is a lot harder to climb...yet i had to take 2 breaks up armstrong.

this weekend just past...i could feel a huge improvement in my legs..a lot more breathing issues than leg pain ;)...i even managed to lead the bunch into the wind (need a bit of practice with that) wasnt sure what speed to sit at...was going too slow at first..then too fast...so i need to work on it and just get some advice from the fellas...was also having some fun doing a bit of sprinting with the lads on the circuit...got dropped...but hey work in progress...the lads can put pressure on the pedals.

looks like i might need to rethink my target to be the fastest 50 year old on one segment of the circuit this year :(...the week before last I managed a 4 th place for the day...avg speed 46 km/h and a max speed of 55.8 km/h with a massive SW from behind...not so great when you consider the person with the kom has an avg speed of 64 km/h ...8 km/hr faster than my max speed...eeeish.

really starting to enjoy the merida...had no issues with the wheel since i got it back from jhb...been using rock n roll chain lube (thanks to my mate anton for selling me a bottle from his stock :))...makes the bike run super smooth...very little chain noise...the freehub (standard clicking sound) and Di2 lever are the only things making a noise...just a pity about the issue with the lever...for the amount of money you spend on Di2 i would have expected the back up service to be a little better...much like assos...i send them an email about my bib within 24 hours i get a response and a new pair of S7...no questions asked.

I read that all but between the Di2 and Assos and everything else crowbarred in there I'm not sure what you are trying to say?

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is one advantage to putting in the effort to get faster...you get to rest longer when riding in a group ...In the past I have been the rider right at the back....who eventually catches up when the group stops...then as I stop out of breathe...you just need a couple minutes to get your breathe back but off they go again...straight back into the suffer zone.

What you put is what you get out...the group rides are certainly becoming more enjoyable...now I get rest a bit...take photos and enjoy the company [emoji3]

If I could just loose the other 30 kg extra weight I am still carrying I won't get blown off the back going up the hills...and I won't need to sit on the brakes going down the hills

I keep hearing the phase "it never gets easier you just get faster" trust me I talk from experience...it certainly does get easier...they must be referring to pro cycling who only weigh 65 kg and been doing since they were kids.

I remember the first ride with my mates at Giba...I was around 130 kg...had finished my water before I got through the first set of switchbacks on the green route....by the time I was half way up the hill I could barely walk never mind cycle up the hill...I had to stop and sit for a while...I was determined to do the whole route...thanks to Rorys patients who stuck with me and kept telling me the downhill is just over there...I eventually got to the top of the hill and made it back to the car park.

No matter how big or unfit you are just keep at it....it certainly does get easier and you get to enjoy the good company.

• 2 weeks later...

I joined a group for a road ride on Sunday...which involved a few hills...around 2000 m elev gain.

I have done the tour da kranz (mtb) which was around 1500m elev gain (biggest i have ever done) ...i did walk a few times but managed to get to the end.

unfortunately on this ride  i blew out and had to spend 5 km of the ride in the backup vehicle trying to recover...so i only managed to do 80 of the 85 km ride.

once again i learnt a lot from this experience...

my cassette selection 11- 32 was ok but my crank selecting 53-39 was a bit off...i need to find a compact crank...50 - 34/36.

not clever trying to follow or keep up with the A group riders of the club...when you barely keep up with the B group.

rest and sleep is very important...was lacking in this department.

changing your eating habit during the week before a big ride like this...not so smart.

trying to haul 107 kg up steep hills 15% gradient...if it was 107 kg of pure muscle...maybe...but 25 kg of fat...not very smart.

this ride was a way out of my league...mentally or physically...and boy did it take its toll on my body...i got to a point where i had to just stop get off the bike and stand next to the bike for a while...drank water...electrolyte and ate an energy bar...got back on the bike and took off again...within a couple hundred meters everything came up...i managed to get to the top of one of the hills....could see the others riders far in the distance...thats when i decided it was time to load the bike...sat in the car for 5 km watching the guys at the back really putting in max effort just to keep going...well done to veebee and all the others who climbed that last hill /mountain they just just kept going one pedal stroke at a time.

i managed to get back to cato ridge and down into the first lot of hills before inchanga...but started taking strain again...so i stopped every 200 m and rested...i was determined not to get back in the backup vehicle...even if i had to walk the rest of the way...eventually i got back and joined everyone for breakfast.

something to note and I dont know how much it affects a ride...i needed to pee before the ride and thought i would just hold on until i stopped...i started getting hectic pains across my back...what felt like kidneys...someone mentioned that it could have been from dehydration...i eventually did get to relieve myself 60 km into the ride and the back ain did ease a little...but i think the damage was already done.

will i be back for more punishment...hell yes...just a little better prepared next time :)

After my experience on sunday that time has arrived...

Time to monitor my progress using the correct equipment...and understand the challenges and my capabilities or the group i ride with... before heading out for a morning ride.

First thing...cadence and heart rate monitor...time to invest in a garmin or similar device with both...a power meter would be ideal...unfortunately my piggy box has shrunk in size.

Then i need to start experimenting with gearing...and understand the difference between a 50/34 ...53/39...11/25...11/28...11/32 what it means and how it will effect my ride.

I have spoken to a couple of people...watched a few youtube videos and found each person has their opinion... it is what works them...the only way i will find what will work for me is to take the advise and see what works for me.

From what i have heard and read...i believe the bike and advice i got when purchasing the merida was a good start 53/39 (standard crank) 11/32 cassette...making that statement makes me sound like i know what i am talking about[emoji12] just dont ask what my anthem or trek has on them...i have no idea....i will check at some stage...when it is time to replace[emoji6]

I dont know if riding the bike or learning new stuff everyday about my cycling experience and sharing it ...is more fun.

I joined a group for a road ride on Sunday...which involved a few hills...around 2000 m elev gain.

I have done the tour da kranz (mtb) which was around 1500m elev gain (biggest i have ever done) ...i did walk a few times but managed to get to the end.

unfortunately on this ride  i blew out and had to spend 5 km of the ride in the backup vehicle trying to recover...so i only managed to do 80 of the 85 km ride.

my cassette selection 11- 32 was ok but my crank selecting 53-39 was a bit off...i need to find a compact crank...50 - 34/36.

not clever trying to follow or keep up with the A group riders of the club...when you barely keep up with the B group.

changing your eating habit during the week before a big ride like this...not so smart.

trying to haul 107 kg up steep hills 15% gradient...if it was 107 kg of pure muscle...maybe...but 25 kg of fat...not very smart.

this ride was a way out of my league...mentally or physically...and boy did it take its toll on my body...i got to a point where i had to just stop get off the bike and stand next to the bike for a while...drank water...electrolyte and ate an energy bar...got back on the bike and took off again...within a couple hundred meters everything came up...i managed to get to the top of one of the hills....could see the others riders far in the distance...thats when i decided it was time to load the bike...sat in the car for 5 km watching the guys at the back really putting in max effort just to keep going...well done to veebee and all the others who climbed that last hill /mountain they just just kept going one pedal stroke at a time.

i managed to get back to cato ridge and down into the first lot of hills before inchanga...but started taking strain again...so i stopped every 200 m and rested...i was determined not to get back in the backup vehicle...even if i had to walk the rest of the way...eventually i got back and joined everyone for breakfast.

something to note and I dont know how much it affects a ride...i needed to pee before the ride and thought i would just hold on until i stopped...i started getting hectic pains across my back...what felt like kidneys...someone mentioned that it could have been from dehydration...i eventually did get to relieve myself 60 km into the ride and the back ain did ease a little...but i think the damage was already done.

will i be back for more punishment...hell yes...just a little better prepared next time :)

Train don't strain? I find that such rides-to-failure can do more (mental) harm, than (physical) good, and they also put you at more risk of injury. Increments, brother, increments!

After my experience on sunday that time has arrived...

Time to monitor my progress using the correct equipment...and understand the challenges and my capabilities or the group i ride with... before heading out for a morning ride.

First thing...cadence and heart rate monitor...time to invest in a garmin or similar device with both...a power meter would be ideal...unfortunately my piggy box has shrunk in size.

Then i need to start experimenting with gearing...and understand the difference between a 50/34 ...53/39...11/25...11/28...11/32 what it means and how it will effect my ride.

I have spoken to a couple of people...watched a few youtube videos and found each person has their opinion... it is what works them...the only way i will find what will work for me is to take the advise and see what works for me.

From what i have heard and read...i believe the bike and advice i got when purchasing the merida was a good start 53/39 (standard crank) 11/32 cassette...making that statement makes me sound like i know what i am talking about[emoji12] just dont ask what my anthem or trek has on them...i have no idea....i will check at some stage...when it is time to replace[emoji6]

I dont know if riding the bike or learning new stuff everyday about my cycling experience and sharing it ...is more fun.

Cadence & HR measurement - check!

Power - probably not currently - some might not agree. The money is better spent on other bike bits, like a compact 50/34 crank and if you aspire to ride 15% grades on the road, definitely stick with a 32 granny. If and when you find a 34x32 too easy, then a harder (not necessarily faster) gear is just one STI-click away! Simplify your life, and there's nothing wrong with using mechanical advantage to your advantage.

With that casette ratio buying a cmpact will be pointless you might as well walk then...isnt the aim to get faster?

When I started cycling I had compact and a 11/25, once I made it to elites my compact had to quickly, I was unable to keep up on quick accelerations as their 39/53 handed out more power on the flats than a compact. Made the move over to compact and kept my 11/25 and I felt so much better and faster.

Some training advice for you, I used to be coached by science to sport so a combination of recovery and intervals rides a week is good.

Tuesday zone 2 light gears cadence 90+; Wednesday Intervals start with 30min warmup  1min sprint and 1 min rest, do about 10 of them and coldown 30min cadence 90, thursday recovery zone 2 high cadence 90+...

This way you will burn fat and gain speed on bike.

I used to weigh 120kg, race weight was 76kg, I managed to mantain my weight after I stopped racing at 80kg by proper diet and still riding 4 times a week.

39*32 is not enough, heavens what kind of Cols or Alps are you guys climbing  :eek:

Not the Alps, some of us are not that strong YET.  :ph34r: 

This was the killer climb Ise is talking about... And then another 2 bumps to murder the legs.

https://www.strava.com/segments/11949086

https://www.strava.com/segments/6665653

https://www.strava.com/segments/3749203

I think while it's about getting stronger and faster, there has to be a level of enjoyment in the riding to keep you motivated.

This ride that Ise mentioned would have been a mental blow for many "newbies", especially when you start falling behind just 25km into a 85km ride. About 1300m elevation after just 35km is not easy on the mind and legs, so having the right gearing just to make it through this would have boosted your mental power knowing what you have just achieved.

Not the Alps, some of us are not that strong YET.  :ph34r:

This was the killer climb Ise is talking about... And then another 2 bumps to murder the legs.

https://www.strava.com/segments/11949086

https://www.strava.com/segments/6665653

https://www.strava.com/segments/3749203

I think while it's about getting stronger and faster, there has to be a level of enjoyment in the riding to keep you motivated.

This ride that Ise mentioned would have been a mental blow for many "newbies", especially when you start falling behind just 25km into a 85km ride. About 1300m elevation after just 35km is not easy on the mind and legs, so having the right gearing just to make it through this would have boosted your mental power knowing what you have just achieved.

I get that but I also think we should recognise our limits (at this point in time) and build up to those kinds of challenges?

Just my 0,05c .... and yes I was there once

I get that but I also think we should recognise our limits (at this point in time) and build up to those kinds of challenges?

agree 100%.

i agree...as i mentioned i was way out my league.

i am sure by now...anyone following this thread will realize i am a sucker for punishment who makes lots of mistakes...and going to make a whole lot more ;)

i am sure by now...anyone following this thread will realize i am a sucker for punishment who makes lots of mistakes...and going to make a whole lot more ;)

As long as you learn from then and don't repeat them there's is no harm in that!

what doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger.

Go do it again tomorrow :devil:

The harder i get stung the faster i learn [emoji12]

The treksta has already been upgraded today...from a triple to a double 175 mm 50/34 compact crank...new chain and 11-28 cassette...some might not agree with the 11-28...but fatty needs a little extra easy to carry the weight...i would rather pedal slower than walking speed than ride in the recovery vehicle again [emoji57]

Gona leave the rattling red rocket as is...standard 172.5 mm 53/39 with a 11-32 cassette.

All this tech talk makes me sound like i know exactly what i am talking about... not really...but i am learning.

Archived