Barely keeping up

I have a friend who had the same problem. Bloody thighs...the works. 8 weeks later and he just loves riding. Especially hills

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all

So this evening I decided to get back in the saddle. And this is what I learned. I took everyone's advice, my husband stayed with me and I set the pace on a predetermined route. He set checkpoints for me to rest and I climbed every hill without complaint. Baby bum cream is excellent for chafing!!! I finished 8km in 1 hour! Thank you to everyone who took the time to help!!

Excellent, great to hear. Seems hubby is being a bit more patient.

Remember to also focus on how you ride (gears, balance, body weight...etc) as well as bit setup as that will help you achieve your goals :-)

Edited by AlanD

I know a bit about this from having cycled with my wife.

Dont start out with hills if you can help it, the psychological benefit you gain from doing a bit more distance at the same effort is a big thing.

Dont try to match your husbands pace, he needs to accept that he wont get much exercise out of it but will be able to spend time with you.

There is no rush to get fit, it will happen, learn to love cycling and the fitness will come with that.

Hi all

So this evening I decided to get back in the saddle. And this is what I learned. I took everyone's advice, my husband stayed with me and I set the pace on a predetermined route. He set checkpoints for me to rest and I climbed every hill without complaint. Baby bum cream is excellent for chafing!!! I finished 8km in 1 hour! Thank you to everyone who took the time to help!!

Sounds good and keep at it.

As others have suggested join a group/club that caters for ladies or join Haley when she does her ladies group ride. It'll help with making the sport and the learning process fun as well netting you some new friends.

Hi all

In a couple of weeks you will do that 8km in 45mim

Underwear became a torture device yesterday, so went without today. Unfortunately the damage was already done.

Trick is to save the beaver and NOT ride with brooks on, only your cycling shorts. To not wear them to work is just naughty....

Hi all

So first up I have a bit of background info and then my question.

I am a 24year old female and I have major trouble getting fit and keeping up with my husband while riding.

I am very small and thin weighing 50kg for my 1,7m frame. I have an entry level axis 27,5" bike. I only got onto a bike for the first time in my life about a week ago. Spent the week learning to balance and turn and did my first mountainside trail yesterday. A gruelling 12km sprint with my much fitter husband.

Today I could barely move at work but decided to hit the road this afternoon. With bleeding thighs from chafing and burning legs I did 3km and gave up. I have hills right around the house so ended up climbing most of the time. Stopped many times and once again frustrating my poor husband.

So here comes the question, how can I make this easier for both of us. Am I eating wrong? How can I get fitter, faster? I did fine on the ride yesterday, but today was absolutely terrible. What am I doing wrong?

Thanx to everyone!

Ok, one problem. Your husband, no offence but the dude needs to be patient with you. YOu have JUST started and he has already gotten you to do a 12km ride, hills etc. 

You need to start slow, learn how to use your gearing for the correct cadence up the hills, and he should know this. 

Hi all

This sounds awesome!

I will be keen for a Sunday afternoon ride if you want (maybe at RedBarn, or other if you prefer). I have to go do some distance in the morning unfortunately, so can't make it in the mornings.