Running the Gauntlet here........

Dicky DQ

Well, at the risk of being called a troll, but I am wanting honest feedback not .... whatever, here goes:

I have been off the bike for a while and have gotten fat, this time of year I fear, but my helmet straps do not fit any more. So what did I do?

1. When riding with mates, I just put the strap around the back of my head and it sits like a pispot, but is still way uncomfortable.

2. When riding on my own, leave the bloody thing at home, I come from the time when we did not have to wear helmets and the I did not. 

What a pleasure, try it it could change your world.

I have been on both on and off road sans helmet and I feel no sentiment either way. I think off-road I will probably push a little harder with a helmet on, not that it will help, but because the marketing says it will.

But from now on:

If I am riding with mates or in a funride, I an too sleg to race any more, I will ware one because I have to, to enter or because it will put my mates in a difficult position riding with me sans helmet.

If I ride alone however, especially on the road, you will probably see me sans helmet as I really do not see the point.

Before you flame me, I have fallen many times and broken a few bones and 3 x helmets. But by the same token I have fallen and broken a few bones sans helmet and my noggin is still sound. Well some may say not so much.

No need to go on a lecture tirade, as I mentioned above I will respect peoples feelings if I ride with them and I do understand all the arguments for and against helmets. 

Just putting the question out there; who feels the same way.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dig easy rides round the 'hood sans helmet. The wind in your face is really under rated!

Ultimately it's your head - your responsibility.

Ride how you like!

Its your call on wearing a helmet. During the heatwave we had recently I did a couple of rides up to a local pub for a beer and some gosspi and then back home but its a lazy late afternoon ride not a mad dash across the Magalies!

Go check the bugs on the grill of your car... Splat they went...

'nough said

Question is what will the helmet help? It is only designed to assist with falls from about 1.5m at no forward speed.

Your head .... you decide .

BUT ....

If you choose to ride without a helmet (all 210 Grams ) and do suffer a head injury , it may be your family and friends who live with the consequences of your decision , and those consequences could be detrimental to all involved .

I personally don't believe it is worth the risk .

And many serious accidents happen when we "" just "go round the block .

One destroyed helmet in my history is enough reason to always wear one, no questions asked.

I have 3 destroyed helmets, that is not the question. Have you ever fallen and broken bones sans helmet?

I do not know if there really is value in them apart from placebo effect?

Question is what will the helmet help? It is only designed to assist with falls from about 1.5m at no forward speed.

You sure you didn't hit your head already one time too many?

Way too many instances of cyclists being protected from more serious injuries by wearing a helmet.

I don't believe in evolution. But this could be a good case study for reverse evolution...... Once a smart individual regress to stupidity just because he/she feels like it.... Oh well, so it is.

Enjoy the freedom of the wind in your hair.

The thing about accident recollection is that you will not remember each an every hit you took, so you survived a few drops but did you hit the tarmac with the back or your head or you temple or your forehead. Did you hit a square object or flat surface ?. But ultimately do what you want, dead people feel no pain. Its your head and will be on your families head.

Anyway, as I said I was not looking for an impassioned plea, anecdotal evidence based comment or castigation.

Just wanting to know who felt the same. As I said it is not Friday yet.

I have destroyed 3 helmets so I wear one, but that's just me.

Question is, is it a law that cyclists must wear helmets when riding on a public road? I don't know, that's why I ask.

However, my thoughts are this. The world is over populated by about 3 billion people, so by not wearing a helmet you may assist the rest of us in trying to keep the temperatures down by just a bit, get enough of you "wind in my hair" folk together and global warming may be relegated to the history books. So I say throw the helmet away and do your best to convince everyone else to do the same.

By the way, it's wear a helmet, not ware, so you may very well have done some damage!

Roll on Friday.

I have 3 destroyed helmets, that is not the question. Have you ever fallen and broken bones sans helmet?

I do not know if there really is value in them apart from placebo effect?

Yup, but mostly on a BMX so I am not sure if that counts...

Archived