Cracked Anthem

bullet77

Found this crack on my Anthem today, seat and top tube weld.post-54517-0-58157800-1453641571_thumb.jpgpost-54517-0-45055200-1453641595_thumb.jpgI'm the original owner so confident it will be replaced. Big question is, do I "upgrade" and try get the Advanced carbon frame with a pay in for the difference or just stick with the alu. Is it worth the R8 - 10K  difference(depending on year model available)?

Has anyone had both versions? Is there any difference other than weight?

post-54517-0-04077300-1453642632_thumb.jpgI'll miss the diamond black.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Found this crack on my Anthem today, seat and top tube weld.attachicon.gif194.jpgattachicon.gif193.jpgI'm the original owner so confident it will be replaced. Big question is, do I "upgrade" and try get the Advanced carbon frame with a pay in for the difference or just stick with the alu. Is it worth the R8 - 10K  difference(depending on year model available)?

attachicon.gif271.jpgI'll miss the diamond black.

Found this crack on my Anthem today, seat and top tube weld.attachicon.gif194.jpgattachicon.gif193.jpgI'm the original owner so confident it will be replaced. Big question is, do I "upgrade" and try get the Advanced carbon frame with a pay in for the difference or just stick with the alu. Is it worth the R8 - 10K  difference(depending on year model available)?

Found this crack on my Anthem today, seat and top tube weld.attachicon.gif194.jpghttps://assets.bikehub.co.za/legacy_images/theme/master/attachicon.gif 193.jpgI'm the original owner so confident it will be replaced. Big question is, do I "upgrade" and try get the Advanced carbon frame with a pay in for the difference or just stick with the alu. Is it worth the R8 - 10K  difference(depending on year model available)?

https://assets.bikehub.co.za/legacy_images/theme/master/attachicon.gif 271.jpgI'll miss the diamond black.

Found this crack on my Anthem today, seat and top tube weld.attachicon.gif194.jpghttps://assets.bikehub.co.za/legacy_images/theme/master/attachicon.gif 193.jpgI'm the original owner so confident it will be replaced. Big question is, do I "upgrade" and try get the Advanced carbon frame with a pay in for the difference or just stick with the alu. Is it worth the R8 - 10K  difference(depending on year model available)?

https://assets.bikehub.co.za/legacy_images/theme/master/attachicon.gif 271.jpgI'll miss the diamond black.

The same thing happened to me last year. Loved the black frame too. Got a replacement frame no problem, but I do regret not getting the carbon frame. Didn't like the colour of 2015 frame. I love the black carbon frame that came out this year. Given the choice and spending the extra cash, I,d spend it! Life is so short, eat your pudding first!

Comfort levels will also be enhanced as the carbon is more forgiving

The reduction weight in weight in itself is a massive gain

Middle of last year I stood behind a guy at our local LBS till...he traded in his current year Alu Anthem for the same years carbon Anthem, obviously he paid a pretty in for the swap....so he stood between the two bikes, one in each hand, and tried to check for weight difference....the dude was PISSED because he couldnt feel the "yes sir there will be a huuuuge weight difference sales pitch" weight difference.

Giant got something right with their Aluxx Alu frame

If their ally frame weighs the same as the carbon but the ally frame is cracking surely they've made too much of a compromise somewhere.

Thanks for the input. I think the Anthem Advanced full build might be 800g lighter than the alu version but frame only I'm told is about 400g difference.

Will have to see what options LBS can arrange. The 2016 alu frame looks very good though and has improvements. The seat and top tube weld area has been strengthened and it has thru axle rear.

Archived