Cracked Anthem

bullet77

"Most consumers see lifetime warranty to mean one of three things: the owner's lifetime or the time he or she owns the product; the lifetime of the product itself; or the lifetime of the manufacturer."

Lifetime regarding something like a bike usually means reasonable time (so a min if maybe 3 years) but if say maybe Giant stopped manufacturing the Anthem then that product is EOL and the warranty along with it (again, unless it's still within the minimum they might have).

So just be careful what you believe lifetime warranty to mean, because I'm not sure Giant state what exactly it means.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Most consumers see lifetime warranty to mean one of three things: the owner's lifetime or the time he or she owns the product; the lifetime of the product itself; or the lifetime of the manufacturer."

Lifetime regarding something like a bike usually means reasonable time (so a min if maybe 3 years) but if say maybe Giant stopped manufacturing the Anthem then that product is EOL and the warranty along with it (again, unless it's still within the minimum they might have).

So just be careful what you believe lifetime warranty to mean, because I'm not sure Giant state what exactly it means.

As per the Giant USA Site....

3. I bought a used Giant bicycle. Does the warranty still apply?

No, the warranty applies only to the original owner of the bicycle.

As per the Giant USA Site....

3. I bought a used Giant bicycle. Does the warranty still apply?

No, the warranty applies only to the original owner of the bicycle.

Yes but very seldom does it mean the original owners lifetime, its the lifetime of the product (still in production), and possibly other conditions...

Sure, isn't that fraud though, serious question?

I have no doubts on their value proposition as a original owner. As a second one, it almost feels a bit like an alfa.

It is fraud. They enforce it through the original invoice. No invoice / proof of sale - no warranty. Same as any manufacturer, really.

As for the cracking - Giant sorted it. It affected certain model years (2012-2014 iirc) and was predominately as a result of over-stressing the weld at the seat tube / top tube joint by having too little seatpost left in the frame, or too much out of the frame (lever force multiplied extensively causing failures at that point)

It's all sorted now, and that area has been gusseted far more as a result of the failures.

If you crack your frame as a 2nd owner, it'd be an insurance event, most likely. 

on lifetime warranties - I think the Trek one is the most bankable.

Have even heard urban legends of them replacing long gone generation bikes with the latest.

Although the original purchaser of a Trek bike gets a lifetime warranty on the frame, if that frame is no longer available you get given something else; invariably the frame used on a current production dual suspension model. You get no warranty if you buy second hand.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~cool386/trek/trek.htm

not giant related but original invoice related...I sent the original invoice with the wheel back to J&J because the merida is less than 2 years old...they sent me an invoice for R600 to replace 1 spoke...which i paid and didnt argue...i think it was because i stated that i am 110 kg which exceeds the max weight of the wheel.

You would think that because there is such a huge problem with frames breaking on the anthem that they would recall the frames and replace them with a more suitable frame which doesnt fail...this was one of the reasons i bought the anthem brand new.

it seems some people like the idea of getting a new frame...i read about the challenges with replacing the frame due to stripping cost and upgraded parts etc.

I am thinking about unloading the anthem and the merida...both bikes have issue and rather looking for a stronger more suitable bikes...with wheels which can carry my weight and a frame which doesnt fail.

not giant related but original invoice related...I sent the original invoice with the wheel back to J&J because the merida is less than 2 years old...they sent me an invoice for R600 to replace 1 spoke...which i paid and didnt argue...i think it was because i stated that i am 110 kg which exceeds the max weight of the wheel.

You would think that because there is such a huge problem with frames breaking on the anthem that they would recall the frames and replace them with a more suitable frame which doesnt fail...this was one of the reasons i bought the anthem brand new.

it seems some people like the idea of getting a new frame...i read about the challenges with replacing the frame due to stripping cost and upgraded parts etc.

I am thinking about unloading the anthem and the merida...both bikes have issue and rather looking for a stronger more suitable bikes...with wheels which can carry my weight and a frame which doesnt fail.

Sounds cheaper to just drop a few kg- two bikes, for real??

easier said than done...

my trek old 2002 3 x 9 speed model trek is clocking thousands of km and still going strong...no frame or wheel problems.

One is a road bike, the other an mtb, right isetech? No need to be a dick just because he hasn't yet lost enough weight for you (which, btw, he has been doing well at)

easier said than done...

my trek old 2002 3 x 9 speed model trek is clocking thousands of km and still going strong...no frame or wheel problems.

Yeah, those things are strong. Old geometry, probably chromoly or at least heavy gauge alu and built like a tank.

A recall would cost far more than the piecemeal replacement of failed frames, and not all frames would have been affected, most likely. But if you ARE worried, don't be. Better off putting a better wheelset on, or at least getting them built up PROPERLY by a real wheel builder. Should cost around R600 or so for a full rebuild on each wheel.

Which, btw, is a proper ripoff if that's what you got charged for a simple spoke replacement! Jeepers.

At the end of the day though, you have a warranty on the anthem. IF it cracks, and being a new model it probably won't, then simply warranty it. There's folks faaar heavier than you on anthems, and you'll find defective frames across all manufacturers (how do you think cannondale got the nickname crackenfail, for example?) After all, they've fixed it on the 2015 and newer models. More bracing at that point.

Oh. And one last point. The anthem, like cannondale scalpel, spaz epic and so on will not go out of production. It's one of their stalwart frames. It may undergo minor geometry changes over time, and at some point they may again change to 29er in the distant future, but they always keep a large backlog of warranty frames just for the purpose of warranty replacements and frame only sales. Point being, if the current one doesn't match the one in 2 years time, and the unaffected rear triangle isn't compatible with the new front triangle, then you'll get an entirely new frame.

No need to worry about a few breakages when the underlying fault has been rectified AND you're the original owner.

Normally that would be a good comment. Except in this case he already dropped 20+ kg's the past year. Cut the guy some slack.

Normally that would be a good comment. Except in this case he already dropped 20+ kg's the past year. Cut the guy some slack.

That's pretty decent, I do apologise if it was too much tongue in cheek, to be honest I thought he was just complaining without trying so a big up to him

calm down, not everyone knows the history of everyone around here...

The owner of the LBS who billed you R600 for a spoke change deserves a proper smack in the chops...

I pay R125.00 at my local LBS for spoke change and truing of the wheel. I have done it twice in the last year, as I am a proper big boy, clocking in at 112kg or there about.

And the LBS in question is a concept store for Spesh and Giant. And I don't even ride either of these brands currently.

Dont worry i know i have to loose weight...about another 20 + ...i dont think bikes were designed for us fat people especially not the higher end super light ones with racing wheels...i should stick to riding my donkey ( old trek ) for now.

Archived