[Event] Dis-Chem Ride For Sight 2016

HBO

From what I read out of it , Absolutely Not... In order for a lower rider to improve his times, he simply has to take the long way to the top.. If he starts in a group where no one is willing to work together, he should either (be strong enough to) solo it, or wait for the next race hoping he can get a bunch together (which started in his group) that will work together to improve their times.

You're starting to sound a bit like a suurtiet...

The route to "the top" is the same one for everyone. Train harder, get faster, do better. Then progress to the longer races, and improve from there, to a point where you're in groups that ARE willing to work and rotate, and generally "race" rather than ride/participate.

Surely you aren't suggesting that you'd like to enter the half distance, but be able to jump on the back of a racing categories bunch, and enjoy a shortcut to "the top"...?

@Cycotic. The open seeded categories are a free for all. It's only you, and Jesus who can decide what's right or wrong back there. If you feel right about jumping onto the back/into the middle/front of the long race open categories, from your short race, then by all means, have a go. There's no commossaire/race referee that will stop you, and you'll be able to cheat to your heart's content. 

Don't come crying here though when you get vloeked and made to feel unwelcome. The fast open groups don't like to be interfered with either.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

9 times out 10 the organiser's and officials don't understand racing tactics, fun-riders and the mix of the two, and go with the standard start order prescribed by the race officials.

The issue is not that simple. The problem is that the venue uses the same start and finish infrastructure. So the time gap after the last rider leaves has to be sufficient to clear the area before the racing Elites return. Letting the racing groups start earlier could mean the short distance riders are still on the start line when the racing groups return.

A separate start and finish (with separate access routes) would fix this but then costs would increase????

I didn't know the time gap but I knew they were a small group

IF you look on flybys i think we were just 20 secs off them just before the big left turn pas carnival, so close. But yes time gaps would have helped a lot.

I know how you feel was basically in the red all the way from that 47km mark

really paid my dues from trying to join those 2 early breakaways

JOU ETTER!!! So you lied to me just to get me to help... well played :)

But yes, you worked hard to get back to the chase group. After I bridged up the hill, I would look back ever 1km or so, and only ever saw you on the front of the group that was chasing us.

The commissaire had his clip board out and was scribbling away, taking down numbers by the looks of things, when VA was guttering all the way to the far right into the oncoming lane on the way past the entrance to Suikers. I opted to stay left of the centre line and got dropped like a bad habit. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. No good deed goes unpunished. I thought for sure it was going to be another Race For Victory whole bunch DQ scenario again.

I guess that would mean consistent marshalling, which is like believing in the tooth fairy.

The commissaire had his clip board out and was scribbling away, taking down numbers by the looks of things, when VA was guttering all the way to the far right into the oncoming lane on the way past the entrance to Suikers. I opted to stay left of the centre line and got dropped like a bad habit. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. No good deed goes unpunished. I thought for sure it was going to be another Race For Victory whole bunch DQ scenario again.

I guess that would mean consistent marshalling, which is like believing in the tooth fairy.

They seemed more concerned about "folded numbers" at the start than about safetly during the race.

The elites went all the way over onto the oncoming traffic side for a while, put the bunch into the gutter, and that was the final breakaway on the day - Didn't hear of any DQs there...

Was also in BL with my club.  Pity that I missed you!!

Must have known there were some strong legs in front .I doubt i would have kept up for the full distance anyway

If you drop off VC and AL/BL catches you, you can latch onto them as they are open seeded...

Cool, thanks.

Patchelicious...Baaisikilist.....
Don't moan too hard......

most of the VA (and Elite and VB and VC) comms are old racers or at least are gents that has been in love with cycling for a very long time.

They know gutters.  They know how racing work and they know the nature of the beast. 

So right hand guttering in wind will happen.

I'd rather have a comm that gets the traffic out of the way in front and let racing be fun and hard and keep the riders save (non-official rolling road closure) than one with a clipboard penalising everyone left, right and centre.

In general the VA's were save and stayed right.  I know of only that stretch up the reserve that the gutter was far right.    

I talked to the race comm after the race and he almost enjoyed the race as much as we did....."did you guys catch that oke that got away on the drags?  How close was it to the line?" 

Make sense what you are saying because if you shout KEEP LEFT and this guy swerves left, wheels overlapping, it could cause some serious problems. And yes I guess the social/slower guys get really intimidated and nervous when a fast group comes past. So the, HOLD YOUR LINE, thing is a good Idea. Afterall, you guys are the more experienced riders. 

I short pamflette on road racing rules/etiquette with your race number instead of some wasteful advertizing can only benefit everybody 

Patchelicious...Baaisikilist.....

Don't moan too hard......

most of the VA (and Elite and VB and VC) comms are old racers or at least are gents that has been in love with cycling for a very long time.

They know gutters.  They know how racing work and they know the nature of the beast. 

So right hand guttering in wind will happen.

I'd rather have a comm that gets the traffic out of the way in front and let racing be fun and hard and keep the riders save (non-official rolling road closure) than one with a clipboard penalising everyone left, right and centre.

In general the VA's were save and stayed right.  I know of only that stretch up the reserve that the gutter was far right.    

I talked to the race comm after the race and he almost enjoyed the race as much as we did....."did you guys catch that oke that got away on the drags?  How close was it to the line?" 

Yeah, I'm still learning the ropes as far as proper road racing goes. Soon as i'm more familiar with all the ins and outs, I'll have myself better positioned for when things get crazy. Will need a different brand of cement pilletjies for the next one. It's a lot of fun in VA, and as others have said, it feels a helluva lot safer riding with okes who can...

I'll rather keep getting dropped till I can manage to stay on, than roll the dice in A and crash.

Agreed. VC was guttered, as per normal, the whole way along the back of Suikerbos as well. That's where the break got away, and it always happens there, and the Comms know it and turn a blind eye. The bunch typically explodes and I normally get dropped, but it seems quite legit to race on the wrong side of the road into oncoming traffic on that piece of road.

Agreed. VC was guttered, as per normal, the whole way along the back of Suikerbos as well. That's where the break got away, and it always happens there, and the Comms know it and turn a blind eye. The bunch typically explodes and I normally get dropped, but it seems quite legit to race on the wrong side of the road into oncoming traffic on that piece of road.

It's fine, as long as your number is not folded.

The whole time that VC was in the gutter there were no cars from the front, I also don't remember any cars passing from behind. So was quite safe, and it's great racing.

Well lets cut to the chase here, the winner of VC would have come 39th/129 in AL, so if they started behind AL and still caught you.... pedal faster :P

Would've been faster and a better relevant position if we didn't ride so slow jockeying towards the end ;-)

You're starting to sound a bit like a suurtiet...

The route to "the top" is the same one for everyone. Train harder, get faster, do better. Then progress to the longer races, and improve from there, to a point where you're in groups that ARE willing to work and rotate, and generally "race" rather than ride/participate.

Surely you aren't suggesting that you'd like to enter the half distance, but be able to jump on the back of a racing categories bunch, and enjoy a shortcut to "the top"...?

@Cycotic. The open seeded categories are a free for all. It's only you, and Jesus who can decide what's right or wrong back there. If you feel right about jumping onto the back/into the middle/front of the long race open categories, from your short race, then by all means, have a go. There's no commossaire/race referee that will stop you, and you'll be able to cheat to your heart's content. 

Don't come crying here though when you get vloeked and made to feel unwelcome. The fast open groups don't like to be interfered with either.

But thats what I just said.. You should work your way to the top.. No problem with that.. Not n suurtiet.. you reading my comments all wrong..

Archived