[Event] Dis-Chem Ride For Sight 2016

HBO

The whole time that VC was in the gutter there were no cars from the front, I also don't remember any cars passing from behind. So was quite safe, and it's great racing.

The Comm and bike marshals didn't see the cars either. You must have been in the front bunch.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, can some of your more experienced guys who raced this and the Argus help me out a bit.

What sort of time can expect on the CTCT with a time of 3h14 yesterday, considering the conditions.

I'm aiming for Sub 3 and understand that the conditions has to be in my favour for this.

My previous best was 3h10 in 2012, but then I was 13kg heavier than now und not as close as fit.

Are my expectations realistic? I'm starting in 1D

Depends on what Batch you started Sunday,

If you did it from B possibly,from A ,I doubt it,but look there are alot of variables in cycling

If the group works well and the weather conditions are good,a sub 3 can easily be done,

Unfortunately 9 out of 10 times,it's a south-easter plus cat and mouse games combined ..just my 5c

They seemed more concerned about "folded numbers" at the start than about safetly during the race.

That's not the worst. At the start of VC bunch rider number VC999 had cut his frame number smaller and was k@kked out by the CSA Tannie for doing so and threatened with disqualification  :wacko:

That's not the worst. At the start of VC bunch rider number VC999 had cut his frame number smaller and was k@kked out by the CSA Tannie for doing so and threatened with disqualification :wacko:

I do the same. And I am waiting for them to hassle me about it. If they want to apply the rules then fine, but then do it across the board and not to what suits them.

Eg: a buddy of mine was pulled out the bunch at Berge n Dale for folding his number. When he enquired about it, they said he was not allowed to as it doesn't give the race organizers sponsors the exposure... Oh really, when did I sell my back as a mobile billboard? Those oversized numbers also tend to cover sponsors logos who actually directly contribute to my cycling.

Sorry, rant off. I just get pissed when they knit pick on the issues that matter less :)

I do the same. And I am waiting for them to hassle me about it. If the want to apply the rules then fine, but then do it across the board and not to what suits them.

Eg: a buddy of mine was pulled out the bunch at Berge n Dale for folding his number. When he enquirer about it, they said he was not allowed to as it doesn't give the race organizers sponsors the exposure... Oh really, when did I sell my back as a mobile billboard? Those oversized numbers also tend to cover sponsors logos who actually directly contribute to my cycling.

Sorry, rant off. I just get pissed when they knit pick on the issues that matter less :)

I totally agree with your rant , consistency is key !

So, can some of your more experienced guys who raced this and the Argus help me out a bit.

What sort of time can expect on the CTCT with a time of 3h14 yesterday, considering the conditions.

I'm aiming for Sub 3 and understand that the conditions has to be in my favour for this.

My previous best was 3h10 in 2012, but then I was 13kg heavier than now und not as close as fit.

Are my expectations realistic? I'm starting in 1D

I did about that (a bit slower with some excuses) from AL. Will start in 1B. I will not go under 3:10. Previously I had 3:01 and 3:03 at R4S with B and C starts - never came in under 3:10 at Argus. Each time I made a different mistake. You will need a really flawless run. Good luck and ride clever!

Re: the size of the race number 

At the CCMNC you might see the Elite's number a different size to the rest. That's because we were asking (politely) to ensure the bib numbers and frame numbers comply to the UCI specs. So, instead of incurring extra costs, the masses get the current template size used by most organisers and the Elite's get the "approved size".

Patch: ignore this, as you'll be chilling in the FS in Sunday.

And when we ask about alternative methods of numbers (permanent) we get told it's not possible. I'm just as frustrated in the lack of forward thinking by some people.

The Comm and bike marshals didn't see the cars either. You must have been in the front bunch.

I was 4th wheel in the gutter :-)

I do the same. And I am waiting for them to hassle me about it. If they want to apply the rules then fine, but then do it across the board and not to what suits them.

Eg: a buddy of mine was pulled out the bunch at Berge n Dale for folding his number. When he enquired about it, they said he was not allowed to as it doesn't give the race organizers sponsors the exposure... Oh really, when did I sell my back as a mobile billboard? Those oversized numbers also tend to cover sponsors logos who actually directly contribute to my cycling.

I got a "talking to" on the start line at the fast one about folding my number. She said because it was only 30 seconds before the start she will let it go but next time I get a DQ. For this season we have tried to move out pocket sponsors up to just above the pocket and then have 2 smaller sponsors logos as far out to the sides of the pocket as possible. This way you can still sort of see them.

The lady also told me it's in the rules that our numbers must be a certain size, admittedly I don't know many of the rules and have never actually checked them. Just know the obvious ones and then what the guys talk about here.

I did about that (a bit slower with some excuses) from AL. Will start in 1B. I will not go under 3:10. Previously I had 3:01 and 3:03 at R4S with B and C starts - never came in under 3:10 at Argus. Each time I made a different mistake. You will need a really flawless run. Good luck and ride clever!

Thanks, If there is one thing that I've learned in my 7 years of cycling, it is to ride smart as well. I made some silly mistakes in 94.7 that cost me about 3 min and again during R4S. In hindsight if I rode the route prior to the race, I think I would have done a bit better.(this was my first R4S)

I pretty much know that everything must go my way for a sub 3 CTCT. The training and weight loss is going well so far and I'm happy with my start bunch.

Now I must just hope the weather plays along and that I have no mechanical or other issues on the day.

I got a "talking to" on the start line at the fast one about folding my number. She said because it was only 30 seconds before the start she will let it go but next time I get a DQ. For this season we have tried to move out pocket sponsors up to just above the pocket and then have 2 smaller sponsors logos as far out to the sides of the pocket as possible. This way you can still sort of see them.

The lady also told me it's in the rules that our numbers must be a certain size, admittedly I don't know many of the rules and have never actually checked them. Just know the obvious ones and then what the guys talk about here.

we've removed all sponsor's logos from the pockets a few years ago when they (sponsors) saw a photo posted on a team member's social media account showing the shirt and number but not their logo #embarrassing but still a sponsor today

You're starting to sound a bit like a suurtiet...

The route to "the top" is the same one for everyone. Train harder, get faster, do better. Then progress to the longer races, and improve from there, to a point where you're in groups that ARE willing to work and rotate, and generally "race" rather than ride/participate.

Surely you aren't suggesting that you'd like to enter the half distance, but be able to jump on the back of a racing categories bunch, and enjoy a shortcut to "the top"...?

@Cycotic. The open seeded categories are a free for all. It's only you, and Jesus who can decide what's right or wrong back there. If you feel right about jumping onto the back/into the middle/front of the long race open categories, from your short race, then by all means, have a go. There's no commossaire/race referee that will stop you, and you'll be able to cheat to your heart's content. 

Don't come crying here though when you get vloeked and made to feel unwelcome. The fast open groups don't like to be interfered with either.

@Baaisikilist. I did the long ride on Sunday and suffered along with everybody else. Had a few short riders hook on to our group in the final 15km or so, which is why I asked the original question as to whether it was allowed or not.

Re: the size of the race number 

At the CCMNC you might see the Elite's number a different size to the rest. That's because we were asking (politely) to ensure the bib numbers and frame numbers comply to the UCI specs. So, instead of incurring extra costs, the masses get the current template size used by most organisers and the Elite's get the "approved size".

Patch: ignore this, as you'll be chilling in the FS in Sunday.

And when we ask about alternative methods of numbers (permanent) we get told it's not possible. I'm just as frustrated in the lack of forward thinking by some people.

Gerald, what are the correct CSA/UCI sizes?

I have just gone through the CSA websites long list of PDFs and could not find anything.

"certain size".

@Baaisikilist. I did the long ride on Sunday and suffered along with everybody else. Had a few short riders hook on to our group in the final 15km or so, which is why I asked the original question as to whether it was allowed or not.

We had the same. I told a few of them to back off, nobody listened, then the VB commissaire shouted at them and they dropped off...

Archived