Jock Classique 2016 - sage advice?

Fat Boab

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm that will take some trawling. In essence you take Malibongwe down to Harties. Go straight past the bridge. Go left at van Gaalen and left up hekpoort pass (just like Jacaranda). then keep going straight past Maropeng rd and up Sterkies.

We have a whatsapp group for riders around Randpark Ridge. Seems you're not far from there. If so PM your name and number and I'll add you.

That way you can join us next time we do the loop or any other Jock prep ride.

Thanks, I will map it out. How safe is it out there early in the mornings? I am used to SBR and the Cradle.

Thanks, I will map it out. How safe is it out there early in the mornings? I am used to SBR and the Cradle.

Well compared to SBR/Cradle it's busy, but everywhere is I suppose. It's quite a popular motorbike, sportscar, classic car breakfast run, so expect that. Most of the time I've found that the recreational users of that road are very respectful, albeit a bit noisy and fast. It seems to be some of the commuter traffic that gets a bit grumpy, but that's not unique to out there. 

If you start in the Cradle, the section of Malibongwe from the T-junction north of lanseria airport to around Rhenosterspruit is a bit messy with no emergency lane, so try and ride that early with plenty of rear lights on.

Downhill past Nikita's is pretty good these days with a new double-lane and an emergency lane.

The road from the cheese farm to the hekpoort pass T-junction is ok depending on whether the mining trucks are running.

Hekpoort pass is generally pretty good with just superbikes and cars to be concerned about but on the 'worst' bit ie the steepest where you'll be going slowly, and its on a bend, it has a big passing lane, so you'll be fine.

Possibly the worst bit of road, in my view, is the section of the R563 south from the junction with the Maropeng road, downhill to the SW end of the cradle road at the caves. It's a long downhill, so it's quite fast, with no emergency lane, so checking behind you is a challenge (well it is for me at 70 kph!). By the time you ride down here, the traffic can be a little busy and taxis use this road as well, so keep your wits about you.

I ride out there on my own quite often, which may support 'familiarity breeds contempt', and have had the usual near-misses, but (touch wood) never had a real issue. Worthwhile riding with a mate or two however. Wear plenty of loud clothing, lights etc. Depending on your view of group riding, ride appropriately. I'd suggest single file, but that's just me.

Finally, I much prefer riding out there on a Sunday morning and not a Saturday as it's far quieter.

PS for supplies, there are gas stations at the Broederstroom T-junction with Malibongwe, another just before Pecanwood estate (off the road to the left) with a Mugg & Bean. And there's a new gas station, with shop, a couple of hundred metres up the Hekpoort pass road.

As for the route and hills, the Malibongwe section has some short rolling hills to wake you up. The section from Pecanwood to the Hekpoort T-junction is pretty fast albeit slowly uphill in places. Hekpoort is it's own brand of uphill. And if you continue on to climb Sterkfontein, you'll have done well!

Thanks for the info.

As you describe it, I do know most of the roads, just not cycled on them.

I think a few double loops of SBR will have to do through winter.

I have had a few too many close calls even in the cradle of late, so I think I need to stick to places with emergency lanes for the time being.

• 3 weeks later...

This is perfect gearing!!

I am sure we will be heading out to SBR a few times leading up to this and Panorama, come join.

Also, if you are keen for Sterkies and Hekpoort, pop me a PM I will be riding out that side a lot after ToGH. Maybe even next Sat :)

Invite me for this one too please...

Invite me for this one too please...

Sure! Only for SBR? Or do you want a heads up when routes taking in Hillsnacks, Maropeng, Hekpoort, Sterkfontein etc are proposed? I won't be starting the latter, or parts thereof, for a bit yet anyway...

Sure! Only for SBR? Or do you want a heads up when routes taking in Hillsnacks, Maropeng, Hekpoort, Sterkfontein etc are proposed? I won't be starting the latter, or parts thereof, for a bit yet anyway...

I'm keen for SBR and Cradle/Maropeng/Hekpoort /Sterkfontein loops

Favourite race of the year but as Zatek says if you are not trained or sick stay in bed!

Ja for those too, but I think I have a route that covers those maybe... https://www.strava.com/activities/493167850

Ja for those too, but I think I have a route that covers those maybe... https://www.strava.com/activities/493167850

Impressive ride - kudos! And as I was riding in the other direction on that day, for part of that route, maybe we passed you? I remember seeing a lady and an oke passing die ou pastorie around 8-ish, heading towards Harties?

Anywho, your route avoids Hillsnacks, Maropeng, Hekpoort and Sterkfontein, but you ticked the satellite road - always good value for money!

Impressive ride - kudos! And as I was riding in the other direction on that day, for part of that route, maybe we passed you? I remember seeing a lady and an oke passing die ou pastorie around 8-ish, heading towards Harties?

Anywho, your route avoids Hillsnacks, Maropeng, Hekpoort and Sterkfontein, but you ticked the satellite road - always good value for money!

Oh so you were the old man we saw  :P

There were only 2 other cyclist that passed us around there.

It was me and StevieL. We have kinda jumped into this loooong distance riding from nothing and kinda enjoying it so working up to a JHB2Clarens one go ride soon soon.

I need new bibs though, the ones I have ain't made for 3.5+hours I think (never mind 8hours), but SOOO difficult to find. And also after my mugging on Sunday I am going to get a zip put in on all my tops's middle pockets (or going to get some kit designers to consider that).

We doing a 'simple ride' this Saturday = 90km - crazy how quick that became a 'short' ride  :lol: Have no plans for Sunday, so if you doing something, let me know please.

Oh so you were the old man we saw  :P

There were only 2 other cyclist that passed us around there.

It was me and StevieL. We have kinda jumped into this loooong distance riding from nothing and kinda enjoying it so working up to a JHB2Clarens one go ride soon soon.

I need new bibs though, the ones I have ain't made for 3.5+hours I think (never mind 8hours), but SOOO difficult to find. And also after my mugging on Sunday I am going to get a zip put in on all my tops's middle pockets (or going to get some kit designers to consider that).

We doing a 'simple ride' this Saturday = 90km - crazy how quick that became a 'short' ride  :lol: Have no plans for Sunday, so if you doing something, let me know please.

Sounds like us. As for an old man...that would be my mate! He's much older than me, by at least.......9 months. :ph34r:

Happy to do something 'geriatric' on Sunday, whilst the rest of the country does Argus, just need to cross-fingers that I get my bike back from the workshop in time. Will let you know nearer the time?

Archived