Jock Classique 2016 - sage advice?

Fat Boab

Hubbers,

So I've entered this year's Jock Classique in July 2016, and as it'll be my first, I wanted to garner some sagely advice ahead of time to feed into my training and preparations accordingly. My goals are to have fun, to finish, and if that happened to be under or around 6 hours, I'd be a happy man! Specifics I'm curious about include:

1. Target training rides, in terms of distance/climbing, which would let me know I'm 'ready'? 

2. Recommended training rides/climbs? I'm in the West Rand, so the Cradle, Harties, Magalies, Sterkfontein, Hekpoort etc are regular haunts.

3. How to handle the 2 breaks in between the 3 stages eg eating, drinking, resting etc? Should I be 'rehearsing' a break in my training rides?

4. Anyone got any beta on Spitskop and Long Tom to share?

5. Any other sagely advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is my favourite race of the year.

You will be fine dont worry.

In terms of training, in the month or two leading up i reckon aim to do a double loop at suikerbosrand with a break in between. The distance would a bit less but total climbing similar to jock. Another idea would be to design 150km route where you start in the cradle cycle to harties for breakfast then to magaliesberg for lunch and then back to cradle.

Make sure you have appropriate gearing.for the race. I have sufferred with not enough climbing gears before.

For the race itself be careful to go too hard on stage 1. Some find they dont likenthe breaks between stages. Personally i find they help.

Not sure what you mean by "beta" for spitskop and long tom

its a great race....the roads are pretty good all the way. climb lots of hills. eat plenty in the stops...they provide lekker food for you. 

I did my first one last year and its by far my favorite race on the calendar. The breaks are different but really make the day enjoyable especially from a spectator point of view if you have family with you.

Food provided at the two stops is really good, i didn't have breakfast but the lunch was good in Sabie so from that side unless you have special dietary requirements you dont need to take anything extra with. My family was with and i just topped up bottles from the cooler box between stages.

As for training start pushing the distance of your rides out and getting to 150km so you can start to learn how your body reacts and what might be needed towards the end in terms of fluid, food etc. 

Climbing as mentioned do lots of it and nothing better than SBR, i live on the door step so thats where we will be preparing once back from Argus, by June we will look to do a few 3 lap rides with a break between laps to get used to the actual day.

Personally i enjoy climbing so i didnt find it that bad BUT the biggest thing i did find and learn was the mental side to climbing Long Tom, it is by far the longest time i have spent climbing at 40mins and 3/4 of the way up mentally i was ready to get off and rest but everyone else was doing that and i refused. 

Dont go all out up long tom thinking you can free wheel back to Nelspruit, the profile is deceiving and last year we had a stiff headwind all the way home. 

Unfortunately the longest climb in SBR is no where near 40mins worth so find a way to prepare mentally for the Long Tom.

One last thing is the start in the morning can be extremely cold but by stage 2 you can strip all the layers off so be prepared for that as well.

Overall its an awesome day and an incredible experience... make sure when you get to the top of Long Tom to take a moment and look back down to the bottom where you started the climb, the views and sense of i did it are incredible. Then when the stadium comes back into sight in the last few km is also an awesome feeling.

Its a very enjoyable event.

first stage is not too difficult. Second stage has Spitzkoppe which seems to go on and on and on, so just keep at it. Its more of a mental challenge than a physical one. fast downhill after the summit

Third stage up Long Tom isnt too bad either. You dont ride the full long tom but peel off to the left, and then its really flat to down hill all the way to Nelspruit.

Don't eat too much at Sabie lunch, the warm sun and good burger will have you wanting to take a nap on the sportsfield rather than start stage 3.

Stay healthy and flu free beforehand, always difficult for winter.

Suikerbosrand double laps is plenty of good power climbing practice. So too long endurance rides in the cradle.

Small event but really worth it.

In a momentary lapse of reason entered the big boy version , ie the three day event.

Had a look and reckon the Harties, Hekkies, Sterkies loop is good training @130km and ~2500m ascent. Problem is that in July I will have to do that two days running. :eek:  :eek:

WR 1.0 see you on the HHS loops?

This is my favourite race of the year.

You will be fine dont worry.

In terms of training, in the month or two leading up i reckon aim to do a double loop at suikerbosrand with a break in between. The distance would a bit less but total climbing similar to jock. Another idea would be to design 150km route where you start in the cradle cycle to harties for breakfast then to magaliesberg for lunch and then back to cradle.

Make sure you have appropriate gearing.for the race. I have sufferred with not enough climbing gears before.

For the race itself be careful to go too hard on stage 1. Some find they dont likenthe breaks between stages. Personally i find they help.

Not sure what you mean by "beta" for spitskop and long tom

Sorry - I meant info.....

Re gearing, I'll be riding my usual, pencil-leg gearing of 50/34 and 11/28 10sp. Can't squeeze anymore out of my RD!

I did my first one last year and its by far my favorite race on the calendar. The breaks are different but really make the day enjoyable especially from a spectator point of view if you have family with you.

Food provided at the two stops is really good, i didn't have breakfast but the lunch was good in Sabie so from that side unless you have special dietary requirements you dont need to take anything extra with. My family was with and i just topped up bottles from the cooler box between stages.

As for training start pushing the distance of your rides out and getting to 150km so you can start to learn how your body reacts and what might be needed towards the end in terms of fluid, food etc. 

Climbing as mentioned do lots of it and nothing better than SBR, i live on the door step so thats where we will be preparing once back from Argus, by June we will look to do a few 3 lap rides with a break between laps to get used to the actual day.

Personally i enjoy climbing so i didnt find it that bad BUT the biggest thing i did find and learn was the mental side to climbing Long Tom, it is by far the longest time i have spent climbing at 40mins and 3/4 of the way up mentally i was ready to get off and rest but everyone else was doing that and i refused. 

Dont go all out up long tom thinking you can free wheel back to Nelspruit, the profile is deceiving and last year we had a stiff headwind all the way home. 

Unfortunately the longest climb in SBR is no where near 40mins worth so find a way to prepare mentally for the Long Tom.

One last thing is the start in the morning can be extremely cold but by stage 2 you can strip all the layers off so be prepared for that as well.

Overall its an awesome day and an incredible experience... make sure when you get to the top of Long Tom to take a moment and look back down to the bottom where you started the climb, the views and sense of i did it are incredible. Then when the stadium comes back into sight in the last few km is also an awesome feeling.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a great day - can't wait. But fortunately I have to!

Same here, guess we'll be riding a lot up Krugersdorp, Sterkfontein, Hekpoort, Northcliff?

I'm a fan of the Satellite Road, from north to south. Nowhere is it really steep, but it seems to gradually climb all the way, bar one or two short downhills. Might not be gnarly enough for the Jock though, but maybe with a continuation trip over Maropeng, through Magalies, over Hekpoort and up Sterkies, would work. (Who am I kidding, I'd need a stretcher after that ride!).

In a momentary lapse of reason entered the big boy version , ie the three day event.

Had a look and reckon the Harties, Hekkies, Sterkies loop is good training @130km and ~2500m ascent. Problem is that in July I will have to do that two days running. :eek: :eek:

WR 1.0 see you on the HHS loops?

Any chance you can pm me a strava a link to that loop?

Any chance you can pm me a strava a link to that loop?

Hmm that will take some trawling. In essence you take Malibongwe down to Harties. Go straight past the bridge. Go left at van Gaalen and left up hekpoort pass (just like Jacaranda). then keep going straight past Maropeng rd and up Sterkies.

We have a whatsapp group for riders around Randpark Ridge. Seems you're not far from there. If so PM your name and number and I'll add you.

That way you can join us next time we do the loop or any other Jock prep ride.

Sorry - I meant info.....

Re gearing, I'll be riding my usual, pencil-leg gearing of 50/34 and 11/28 10sp. Can't squeeze anymore out of my RD!

This is perfect gearing!!

I am sure we will be heading out to SBR a few times leading up to this and Panorama, come join.

Also, if you are keen for Sterkies and Hekpoort, pop me a PM I will be riding out that side a lot after ToGH. Maybe even next Sat :)

I'm a fan of the Satellite Road, from north to south. Nowhere is it really steep, but it seems to gradually climb all the way, bar one or two short downhills. Might not be gnarly enough for the Jock though, but maybe with a continuation trip over Maropeng, through Magalies, over Hekpoort and up Sterkies, would work. (Who am I kidding, I'd need a stretcher after that ride!).

If any hill doesn't seem tough enough, ride up it harder and do it twice ????

Archived