Ashburton MTB Series #2 Sabie 2016

Acre

But you have to separate the 'organisers' brand from the local crew who actually get it together. This event has been going for how many years? Even if the Advent. Inc pulled out, it would continue to be a great event, like Barberton.

Ok so if the event is great = locals are lekker. If the event sucks donkeyballs = organizers are dimwits charging too much?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok so if the event is great = locals are lekker. If the event sucks donkeyballs = organizers are dimwits charging too much?

Lets first discuss what makes a great mtb event?

Here's my list:

What I like to see:

- Smoothness of organisation in terms of registration / pre & post-race

- Parking / security at the venue

- Water Points: at adequate intervals, stocked with cold water / coke / snacks and friendly people

- Route marking  (Gamin files a bonus)

- Provision for emergency services

- Cold softdrink at the finish

- Placards with geological info along the route (happened at Barberton once)

- Route / variety, scenery, access to land not normally allowed, thought put into the journey through the landscape,,..  This is actually #1

What I don't care for:

-VIP / Hospitality area

-Loud fanfare at the finish

-Sponsors brands being shoved in ur face

-Supersport coverage

So if we take Advent Inc out of the Sabie Classic equation, what would be lost in the above lists?

Event delivered as expected and paid for, nothing more, nothing less. 

Registration was slow despite being very quiet. Maybe I was just unlucky. Got stuck behind one of the mechanics collecting for pro team. They didn't have SAS boards and weren't prepared to pay for them so someone had to go find Fritz. Decided to move to another short queue (one guy ahead of me). Turned out that he was registering late and filling out forms. Third time lucky. 

Received seeding email with start time for Saturday. It was Sundays information. Emailed organisers to inform them. No crisis. 

Race itself was problem free despite marshals on strike. Water and Coke not always cold but it was very hot. 

Beers costing R30. Big problem. 

Results somewhat of a mess. Amateur and UCI ultra results mixed despite different starting times. 

Worth doing? Yes!

Will I be back? Sure.

Exceptional value. No. 

Archived