Clickin sound coming from freehub

Rick Sanchez

My own experience is that if you have greased everything that can be greased, then something must be cracked somewhere.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Normally bearing shops in industrial areas stock everything. That is where the bike shops get most of their bearings. They are normally very cheap. Something like R15 to R 20 each.

I did have problems sourcing some bearings from the Bottom Bracket though, but wheel bearings seems to be common.

Don't buy the R 20 ones, they're cheap for a reason. Rather chuck R 100 a bearing at the Japanese ones. They'll outlast 5 sets of the Chinese or Indian made ones.

Don't buy the R 20 ones, they're cheap for a reason. Rather chuck R 100 a bearing at the Japanese ones. They'll outlast 5 sets of the Chinese or Indian made ones.

I agree with this, buy the most expensive bearing they have in stock.

Have you tried a different wheel to make 100% sure its coming from your freehub and not somewhere on your bike?

I have. No noise at all when using a different wheel, which makes me think it's my freehub or cassette.

I have washed the bike and tightened the cassette and the noise was gone for a while, but it soon returned. It's more of a creaking sound, which makes me think it's the bearings.

Riding buddy also says bearings

My headset is a little loose, still waiting for the right bearings to arrive at my LBS, so I can't properly tighten it. But I just wiggled it a bit and it makes the exact same noise that I suspect the rear wheel is making. Don't think the headset is the cause, as I only get it when pedaling, but that again makes me think it's the rear hub bearings

• 4 years later...

Sorry , I know its old topic...BUT ..I have a HUGE noise coming from rear wheel ...to me it sounds like when rubber is rubbing fast n hard against something,,,checked my wheel/tyre ..no touching and this ONLY happens , the noise , that is , when Im freewheeling and NOT while pedaling...also the noise is only under load ie when Im on my bike...have stripped the wheel ..cassette and now will attempt the hub..

Any thoughts would be appreciated....

I had similar once. I eventually found it was the end of the front derailleur cable rubbing on the rear tyre.

Thanks , will check that too for any cables...BUT...there is also a serious vibration that goes with the sound and makes the chain hop off the chain ring...its 1x11 set up

It could possibly be the freebody, have you taken the freebody off and checked there before

Sorry , I know its old topic...BUT ..I have a HUGE noise coming from rear wheel ...to me it sounds like when rubber is rubbing fast n hard against something,,,checked my wheel/tyre ..no touching and this ONLY happens , the noise , that is , when Im freewheeling and NOT while pedaling...also the noise is only under load ie when Im on my bike...have stripped the wheel ..cassette and now will attempt the hub..

Any thoughts would be appreciated....

I think your free hub isn't so free anymore.  I have a rather stiff free hub on my Mavic road bike hub and when the chain tension is slack, i.e in a high gear it hates being back pedaled. Let us know what you find when you or the shop checks.  

I think your free hub isn't so free anymore.  I have a rather stiff free hub on my Mavic road bike hub and when the chain tension is slack, i.e in a high gear it hates being back pedaled. Let us know what you find when you or the shop checks.  

On point Sir....as you describe it ...but on the coasting/freewheeling does the sound start and not on the pedaling ...all makes sense now and have taken it apart and will attempt to take the free hub off tonight...SLOWLY!!...hehe