Hakahana: A day to forget

Kevlouw

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just after the start of SP1....we going there this weekend..with your new vipa of course

Not a chance, bringing the intense this weekend...... right tires for the job, can even ride over rocks and barb wire :whistling:

But there like a bear. Kerry wants to ride peppercorns so bring your hiking shoes, smokes and beer money, cause that is quite a climb out on the big travel

Not a chance, bringing the intense this weekend...... right tires for the job, can even ride over rocks and barb wire :whistling:

But there like a bear. Kerry wants to ride peppercorns so bring your hiking shoes, smokes and beer money, cause that is quite a climb out on the big travel

where's peppercorns?

Hi there Kevlouw.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience at Hakahana.

As some of the guys have commented, the trails are very rocky and tough, and I would also suggest going with a couple of people that know the trails well to show you around.

Also, the trails have had some bad rain damage in some parts and I'm sure it's on the cards to get sorted out where it's needed, however I can also let you know that all the trails don't build themselves, and trail fairies don't exist either. They are built by Johan and his team of volunteers, and building trails in gauteng with all the rocks, limited soil, and difficult/no access for vehicles, makes this an almost impossible job. Not even mentioning that for the most part, it's a labour of love. So as always, we need to show some respect, and gratitude for the work that goes into all of this.

Johan and his Team are some of the nicest trail advocates in Gauteng, so I would urge you to give Hakahana another chance, you won't regret it.

Feel free to give me a shout if you ever want to go again.

I was there a few weekends back for the first time, same weekend as the warrior race, so sadly the trails were closed (i did not think to check the fb page before planning). Got there the morning, found Johan's number on FB and spoke to him. He was more than willing to try direct me to SP1. Luckily our one riding buddy was familiar with the routes and took us to SP1 and we managed to ride it. 

I must admit, it was waaaay more than I expected and far beyond my skill levels. I recently upgraded from a 29er hardtail to a 26" AM bike as I want to get into enduro. (XCM is just too boring and crowded and the gravity crowd is a way nicer bunch of people! Specially guys like Myles, Robodog, Peach, the list goes on... Always open with good advice and help).

So even though I ran out of skill and struggled, I still loved the challenge! I will be back!

Here's some footage of fun being had this month.

http://www.instagram.com/p/BBIfDzwsp49/

Here is some footage of our one riding buddy losing it on that first rock garden on SP1:

Guess what....HE STILL LOVES THE PLACE!

Edited by WarriorMTB

where's peppercorns?

I think it is called SP2. Only done it once but when you do the district road climb and you get to the top where has both ridges on either side, you would branch left to go to SP1 and SP5. If you turned right you go further up the hill and SP2 is at the top but to the left (right is SP4 or something like that). rouxtjie explain better please.........

I think it is called SP2. Only done it once but when you do the district road climb and you get to the top where has both ridges on either side, you would branch left to go to SP1 and SP5. If you turned right you go further up the hill and SP2 is at the top but to the left (right is SP4 or something like that). rouxtjie explain better please.........

Thanks ... I saw a path going left (SP2?), right at the top where one goes through the hole in the fence (SP4?).

Anyone with some Strava of the SP's?

Edited by Kraggie

That's where it is yes, and this is what it looks like riding down.

I was there a few weekends back for the first time, same weekend as the warrior race, so sadly the trails were closed (i did not think to check the fb page before planning). Got there the morning, found Johan's number on FB and spoke to him. He was more than willing to try direct me to SP1. Luckily our one riding buddy was familiar with the routes and took us to SP1 and we managed to ride it. 

I must admit, it was waaaay more than I expected and far beyond my skill levels. I recently upgraded from a 29er hardtail to a 26" AM bike as I want to get into enduro. (XCM is just too boring and crowded and the gravity crowd is a way nicer bunch of people! Specially guys like Myles, Robodog, Peach, the list goes on... Always open with good advice and help).

So even though I ran out of skill and struggled, I still loved the challenge! I will be back!

Here is some footage of our one riding buddy losing it on that first rock garden on SP1:

Guess what....HE STILL LOVES THE PLACE!

Ha ha good man - knee pads for next time maybe. 

Ha ha good man - knee pads for next time maybe. 

And judging by his second fall, He almost took his face off, a full face helmet!

I was at least smart enough to have knee pads, and they helped...A LOT!

This thread has ended up being good advertising for Hakahana :thumbup:

Obviously the best advice for kevlouw is to go ride there with someone who knows the trails. There's plenty of fun to be had even if you're not a super skilled trail rider.

Thanks ... I saw a path going left (SP2?), right at the top where one goes through the hole in the fence (SP4?).

Anyone with some Strava of the SP's?

SP3 is through the hole in the fence and up the hill to the right...all the way to the top...great fun!

post-8892-0-23237400-1456227057_thumb.jpg

I see the hard men of mountain biking have had their say..

We all been to trails and gone down the wrong tracks before, instead of hammering the guy why not meet me there on Saturday and i will show u around? 

I see the hard men of mountain biking have had their say..

We all been to trails and gone down the wrong tracks before, instead of hammering the guy why not meet me there on Saturday and i will show u around? 

Would be cool if we could organise an event maybe? Something where the local guys and gals can give the noobs to Haka a guided tour maybe? Maybe try do something like this every month or second month?

Haka is a very unique and special beast, I know I would very much appreciate something like that.

Would be cool if we could organise an event maybe? Something where the local guys and gals can give the noobs to Haka a guided tour maybe? Maybe try do something like this every month or second month?

Haka is a very unique and special beast, I know I would very much appreciate something like that.

Hence the Intro to Enduro , normally held by Hakahana and the Pyga guys and great way to meet like minded people and do some skillz training  and hit the trails

think there is one in march actually , otherwise a whole lot of us 'locals' are hitting the trails on Saturday

Edited by Maniac Merv